Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Nov 3, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #1,621 of 2,084
For testing I turned on bluetooth with wifi and kann playing with roon ready option turned on. Interestingly i turned off bluetooth and kann disconnected wifi:).
But I also noticed that after disconnecting the roon and Kann disappearing from the list of devices in the roon section you have to press power button and wake up Kann. Then it is visible again.
I would like to add that the auto power off option is turned off.
Clearly software is the problem.
It looks like the wifi goes into sleep mode for some reason when streaming roon ready

Nov 3, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #1,622 of 2,084
Those who are are having Wi-fi issues, is bluetooth also switched on?

I had no issues with wi-fi at all since I bought the unit, but as soon as I connected a bluetooth remote, the wi-fi dropouts started. I turned bluetooth off and the wi-fi issues are gone again.

That kinda makes sense as BT broadcasts on the same 2.4 GHz frequency. It's a shame the device doesn't have modern 5 GHz wifi. Also keep in mind that you may have other BT devices broadcasting as well (phones, TV boxes, etc.), not just the Kann.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #1,623 of 2,084
For testing I turned on bluetooth with wifi and kann playing with roon ready option turned on. Interestingly i turned off bluetooth and kann disconnected wifi:).
But I also noticed that after disconnecting the roon and Kann disappearing from the list of devices in the roon section you have to press power button and wake up Kann. Then it is visible again.
I would like to add that the auto power off option is turned off.
Clearly software is the problem.
It looks like the wifi goes into sleep mode for some reason when streaming roon ready
If you keep the screen permanently on (only for testing) you may watch the drop of the wifi signal. Question to solve: Is Roon stopped during wifi signal being permanently present?

Nov 4, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #1,626 of 2,084
Forgive me in advance for not digging through this entire thread but can someone fill me in on the potential issue with the jacks going bad on the Alpha or Astell & Kern players in general. I've seen the jack issues mentioned here and in other places but I haven't come across specific details regarding the problem. I haven't had any problems with my Alpha but it would be good to know what to look out for.

Thanks

Nov 5, 2021 at 5:01 AM Post #1,627 of 2,084
my player does not fall asleep, if wi-fi is turned on, the backlight of the wheel is constantly on. Guys again, I'm really sorry that you have problems with Alpha. I have no wi-fi crashes for any use case.
The wifi is not disconnected i.e. the ring is lit and the wifi connection sign is visible but the roon ready function seems to go into sleep.
Turning on the power wakes up the dap.
I hope this is a clear description.

Nov 5, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #1,629 of 2,084
Forgive me in advance for not digging through this entire thread but can someone fill me in on the potential issue with the jacks going bad on the Alpha or Astell & Kern players in general. I've seen the jack issues mentioned here and in other places but I haven't come across specific details regarding the problem. I haven't had any problems with my Alpha but it would be good to know what to look out for.

Thanks
Well, for me, the 4.4mm socket did not have full contact with my plug. You have to rotate to get full contact.

Nov 5, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #1,630 of 2,084
The wifi is not disconnected i.e. the ring is lit and the wifi connection sign is visible but the roon ready function seems to go into sleep.
Turning on the power wakes up the dap.
I hope this is a clear description.
How is your Roon core connected to your network? LAN or WLAN? Just for a test: Try to keep the computer which runs the core always on - means: allow no sleep

Nov 5, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #1,631 of 2,084
How is your Roon core connected to your network? LAN or WLAN? Just for a test: Try to keep the computer which runs the core always on - means: allow no sleep
Core is on intel NUC (Roon Rock). Runs 24 hours. LAN connected.

Nov 5, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #1,632 of 2,084
Core is on intel NUC (Roon Rock). Runs 24 hours. LAN connected.
Device setup in Roon is default? Or did you change anything?
Try to output another stream via Roon (also via WLAN) to another endpoint at the same time as to the kann. Does the problem persist? It is just to fix if there is a problem on the Roon side...
My Roon core is on a Mac... I had to deactivate the sleep mode on my Mac when the screen of the Mac is off - otherwise I run into problems. Is anybody in the forum with Roon on intel NUC? Has Roon Rock a sleep mode??

Nov 5, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #1,633 of 2,084
It should be funny to see if someone can finally manage to override the famous Kann Alpha Wifi drops for so many European users. :k701smile: :k701smile:

After nearly one year of using more or less the Kann Alpha, I feel my issue will probably be faster to arrive with the brand new Fiio M17..

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #1,634 of 2,084
It should be funny to see if someone can manage to override the famous Kann Alpha Wifi drops for so many European users. :k701smile: :k701smile:

After nearly one year of using more or less the Kann Alpha, I feel my issue will probably be faster to arrive with the brand new Fiio M17..
Try a static IP on your local router…

Nov 5, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #1,635 of 2,084
Try a static IP on your local router…
I have tried all of these in one year ... even including old and new repeaters dedicated to the 2.4ghz...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back