Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Oct 28, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #1,606 of 2,084
There currently is no crossfade option or the ability to install alternative playback software. Foobar2000 is the only alternative app that is currently supported.

There is no Hires available with Foobar2000 and Kann Alpha ... even with a Toslink connection to an external DAC output will be limited 16 bits 44.1khz

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #1,607 of 2,084
Just tested with my KANN ALPHA and previous track/next track physical buttons only move one song. I will open a ticket and have our support team test further. Are you using a case with the KA?

Even without case the problem persists. But as I have answered to Bodspella: If I press forward (physical button) during Roon playback - Roon playback stops and A+K player starts (as I had the same music loaded in Roon and in AKplayer I was firstly confused). In A+K player physical button work as expected. In Roon the GUI input on Kann for forward or back works fine for me. So as long as I don't touch physical buttons during Roon playback everything is fine.
I believe this is expected in Roon as it is a requirement for Roon Ready products that the Roon remote interface have the ability to adjust volume on Roon Ready devices. Wheel lock I believe prevents this. I will confirm.
I checked this again. Volume wheel can be blocked with Roon playback and in A+K Player - but only when the screen is off. I am new to A+K - so please forgive me :wink:
This is a mistake in the manual. There is no tap to wake on the KANN ALPHA.

Thanks a lot - so my search is over :wink: Double tap would still be nice to have...
There currently is no crossfade option or the ability to install alternative playback software. Foobar2000 is the only alternative app that is currently supported.

I will check Foobar2000 out as a player. But a crossfeed option in A+K player would really be a super nice feature (all my stationary equipment got crossfeed (mainly Jan Meier settings) and I really like it).

Thanks a lot for that prompt and really competent answers!!!

There is no Hires available with Foobar2000 and Kann Alpha ... even with a Toslink connection to an external DAC output will be limited 16 bits 44.1khz
Thanks a lot for your answer. As my music is preferably 44.1 kHz Foobar2000 might be an option for outdoor use. I will report on this the next days...

Oct 29, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #1,608 of 2,084
Hi again. I installed Foobar2000 in the latest version 1.2.30. And yes you are totally right - all music is only 16 bit 44.1 kHz via this app. So it is not a premium solution... It would really be nice to have the crossfeed feature build right into the A+K player.

Nov 3, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #1,609 of 2,084
This is my first post :) Has anyone had problems disconnecting the roon ready feature on the Kann Alpha. I have even tested different routers to make sure it is not a wifi fault. No. It's probably a software problem in my opinion. Has anyone experienced similar symptoms?

Nov 3, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #1,610 of 2,084
This is my first post :) Has anyone had problems disconnecting the roon ready feature on the Kann Alpha. I have even tested different routers to make sure it is not a wifi fault. No. It's probably a software problem in my opinion. Has anyone experienced similar symptoms?
disconnecting? If you switch off Roon ready in preferences section on A+K player it will not be displayed as audio device in Ronn any more....

Nov 3, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #1,611 of 2,084
disconnecting? If you switch off Roon ready in preferences section on A+K player it will not be displayed as audio device in Ronn any more...

We do not understand each other. Roon runs on kann alpha for a few songs and then stops suddenly. The problem is probably with the wifi which loses connection. The DAP goes into sleep mode. It can't because the ready roon function is enabled.
This is not a wifi problem. The connection is stable at best. The network is 1gbit.

Nov 3, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #1,612 of 2,084
We do not understand each other. Roon runs on kann alpha for a few songs and then stops suddenly. The problem is probably with the wifi which loses connection. The DAP goes into sleep mode. It can't because the ready roon function is enabled.
This is not a wifi problem. The connection is stable at best. The network is 1gbit.

It seems you are like many in Europe ... whith the Kann Alpha there are permanent wifi drops (for me every 15 minutes) with Qobuz (App), Upnp Servers (Ak Connect) ..
Many couldn't find a way to avoid this. I could partially avoid this with using my android smartphone as a wifi Accesspoint.
This is a major software issue A&K never fixed. I am waiting for the next FIIO M17 and replace the Kann Alpha definitely with it as my headphones need a lot of juice to be moved properly due to a very low sensitivity.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #1,613 of 2,084
It seems you are like many in Europe ... whith the Kann Alpha there are permanent wifi drops (for me every 15 minutes) with Qobuz (App), Upnp Servers (Ak Connect) ..
Many couldn't find a way to avoid this. I could partially avoid this with using my android smartphone as a wifi Accesspoint.
This is a major software issue A&K never fixed. I am waiting for the next FIIO M17 and replace the Kann Alpha definitely with it as my headphones need a lot of juice to be moved properly due to a very low sensitivity.
From my experience, I've been using AK Connect heavily lately, and so far I have not seen a single wifi drop or skip, in terms of performance, the wifi connection rivals the internal SD card, NYC/USA.

Nov 3, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #1,614 of 2,084
From my experience, I've been using AK Connect heavily lately, and so far I have not seen a single wifi drop or skip, in terms of performance, the wifi connection rivals the internal SD card, NYC/USA.
same for me - using Roon ready for about 20 hours now - not a single drop. Router is a fritz.box 6660 connecting via 2.4 GHz (wifi n mode, distance max. 5 m with one solid wall). No problems so far - fingers crossed ... Do you use a case for your your Kann player? Wifi signal is a little stronger with no case....

Nov 3, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #1,615 of 2,084
You are one of the lucky !!!
We are so many here, in this thread that have been concerned by those intense wifi drops ( many returned or sold their Kann Alpha),... that it is no more a doubtful point ! It's a fact (I bought 2x Kann Alpha, one from China in Novembre 2020 and one from the official dealer in France in March 2021 => both had same wifi drops every 15 minutes). I kept one, because I could more or less deal with this issue with my Smartphone set as Accesspoint)

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #1,616 of 2,084
same for me - using Roon ready for about 20 hours now - not a single drop. Router is a fritz.box 6660 connecting via 2.4 GHz (wifi n mode, distance max. 5 m with one solid wall). No problems so far - fingers crossed ... Do you use a case for your your Kann player? Wifi signal is a little stronger with no case....
Yes, I use the Official Leather Case from AK, I can't tell the difference, I have gone to the second floor of my house across the building and it still maintains a steady solid connection, I have the Version Fios G3100 Router.

We are so many here, in this thread that have been concerned by those intense wifi drops ( many returned or sold their Kann Alpha),... that it is no more a doubtful point ! It's a fact (I bought 2x Kann Alpha, one from China in Novembre 2020 and one from the official dealer in France in March 2021 => both had same wifi drops every 15 minutes). I kept one, because I could more or less deal with this issue with my Smartphone set as Accesspoint)
As others have pointed, this seems to be a batch/internet related issue, I was also expecting the same problems but none so far, infact, I stream using DNLA and YouTube Music and no issue.

Nov 3, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #1,617 of 2,084
As others have pointed, this seems to be a batch/internet related issue, I was also expecting the same problems but none so far, infact, I stream using DNLA and YouTube Music and no issue

Not a batch issue nore a firmware issue, as I bought one from China Nov 2020 (chinese Firmware) and one In France with another type of firmware in March or April 2021..

But it seems a brand new user ... is not as lucky as you are !!!

Nov 3, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #1,618 of 2,084

Clearly and without any doubt this is a problem with the wifi component and the software.
Perhaps there are some special provisions for routers that should be taken into account for the specifics of this DAP. But this is not normal for a device of this money.
Roon ready is something to be proud of. But the dap breaks the connection and that is a shame. Roon is important to me and that is the reason for buying the Kann.
I have tested 3 routers and all had the same problem.
I will try the hotspot method from android. Thanks for the suggestions.

Nov 3, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #1,619 of 2,084
I’ve set mine up with its own ip via the router at home and use DLNA, Tidal and Roon. After doing that the only issues I experienced are when I’m skipping through a lot of songs at once on a playlist, it will freeze and skip a bit but then it’s good. Have to restart the application sometimes too but all in all I love the sound this device produces and for that I’ll keep it forever lol

Nov 3, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #1,620 of 2,084
Those who are are having Wi-fi issues, is bluetooth also switched on?

I had no issues with wi-fi at all since I bought the unit, but as soon as I connected a bluetooth remote, the wi-fi dropouts started. I turned bluetooth off and the wi-fi issues are gone again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back