Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
Feb 10, 2018 at 3:28 AM Post #1,381 of 2,698
Thanks for posting the link! I came here to post it myself, and now I don't have to.

I really enjoyed evaluating the KANN, and I hope that came through in the writeup. It's not the ideal player for everyone, but has a lot going for it overall. I often find myself reaching for it at home... when I'm too lazy to fire up the big system. In fact I'm using it right now with a Focal Elex, relaxing to a Sober Rob album, and quite enjoying the result.

I bet you would like it more & more. :)

Feb 10, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #1,382 of 2,698
Are you suggesting the x7ii has “glare” in its presentation? I associate glare with poor digital reproduction, and am very sensitive to it (perhaps because I grew up in the analog era). That would kill the x7ii for me.

I find no glare in the KANN. It has its weaknesses, but luckily glare is not one.

I own both, fiio X7 II and Kann, the X7II has a much more analytical sound presentation, more balanced across all the spectrum, more accurate. I use it for critical listening, or to test new headphones (as it's very transparent). The Kann is much more coloured, has less extension in the highs, and bass is less textured and detailled than the X7 II. The Kann makes some of my headphones sound more congested or muffled, less detail, less dynamics, but it makes wonders with treble heavy cans. The Kann sounds more organic but it's not always a good point, you loose in clarity.

Feb 10, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #1,383 of 2,698
A excellent review. I really like the KANN,and I find that that it is an excellent match with Westone W60's. I would also take opinions about what unit sounds better with a large grain of salt. The fact that the user can adjust the sound of the KANN with the equalizer moots a lot of the arguments regarding which unit sounds better, especially with IEM's and how they fit a given listener. I find the KANN is very responsive to changes in the equalizer settings, which to me is the mark of a well made unit.

While I agree the KANN may not be for everyone, the storage, versatility, long battery life, and overall sound quality make it a "best buy" in the high end DAP market.

Feb 10, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #1,384 of 2,698
Thanks for posting the link! I came here to post it myself, and now I don't have to.

I really enjoyed evaluating the KANN, and I hope that came through in the writeup. It's not the ideal player for everyone, but has a lot going for it overall. I often find myself reaching for it at home... when I'm too lazy to fire up the big system. In fact I'm using it right now with a Focal Elex, relaxing to a Sober Rob album, and quite enjoying the result.
It's rediculous that KANN got put on Wall of Fame. That DAP got to be the single most colored DAP I've ever heard. Tonal accuracy is not a Forte. When people use the term warm, I expect a bit of warmth, but KANN is really warmth sounding in an obvious colored way. It's not as resolving as what TOTL A&K are reknowned for either which is a big draw. I wouldn't be surprised it was design by a different team than the more technically better performing versions.

Putting KANN on Wall of Fame tells me not to take the Wall seriously, more of a proof that review recommendations cannot be trusted.

With it's colored sound, is It's high pricing is justified with other contenders well below it's pricepoint?

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #1,386 of 2,698
It's rediculous that KANN got put on Wall of Fame. That DAP got to be the single most colored DAP I've ever heard. Tonal accuracy is not a Forte. When people use the term warm, I expect a bit of warmth, but KANN is really warmth sounding in an obvious colored way. It's not as resolving as what TOTL A&K are reknowned for either which is a big draw. I wouldn't be surprised it was design by a different team than the more technically better performing versions.

Putting KANN on Wall of Fame tells me not to take the Wall seriously, more of a proof that review recommendations cannot be trusted.

With it's colored sound, is It's high pricing is justified with other contenders well below it's pricepoint?

Not sure what to tell you - I listen, and report what I hear. Period. That my observations don't square with yours is really not something I worry about. By your last line, I take it you only trust reviews that align specifically with your preferences? Good luck finding a reviewer who fits that criteria on a consistent basis.

The posters above and below your comment disagree with you. Certainly others do hear it the way you do. Which of us is correct? Hard to say. All I know is, after direct comparisons of many, many players, I find the KANN to offer outstanding performance. If you don't like it or prefer a more analytical device like the prior Astell&Kern flagships, I won't hold that against you.

Feb 10, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #1,387 of 2,698
Not sure what to tell you - I listen, and report what I hear. Period. That my observations don't square with yours is really not something I worry about. By your last line, I take it you only trust reviews that align specifically with your preferences? Good luck finding a reviewer who fits that criteria on a consistent basis.

The posters above and below your comment disagree with you. Certainly others do hear it the way you do. Which of us is correct? Hard to say. All I know is, after direct comparisons of many, many players, I find the KANN to offer outstanding performance. If you don't like it or prefer a more analytical device like the prior Astell&Kern flagships, I won't hold that against you.

I am in complete agreement with your review, and in total disagreement with the disparaging comments. The amp section in the KANN can drive a much larger variety of headphones without use of an external amp than most any other DAP. That fact alone makes the KANN stand out from most other DAP units on the market today.

Feb 12, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #1,388 of 2,698
@JasonNYC Hi Jason, is it possible to implement a battery indicator in DAC mode? Also, is it ok to have the USB-C and micro-USB cables plugged in simultaneously, to charge the unit while in DAC mode?

Feb 12, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #1,389 of 2,698
@JasonNYC Hi Jason, is it possible to implement a battery indicator in DAC mode? Also, is it ok to have the USB-C and micro-USB cables plugged in simultaneously, to charge the unit while in DAC mode?
@thor777 no problem at all keeping the USB-C plugged in to charge while using the microUSB. One of the benefits of having both on the KANN is that you can charge the KANN while using the microUSB.

I will pass the suggestion on for the battery indicator.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Feb 12, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #1,390 of 2,698
@thor777 no problem at all keeping the USB-C plugged in to charge while using the microUSB. One of the benefits of having both on the KANN is that you can charge the KANN while using the microUSB.

I will pass the suggestion on for the battery indicator.

Thanks for the info and quick reply!

Feb 13, 2018 at 6:07 AM Post #1,392 of 2,698
Is it possible to use KANN as a transport to another DAC?
Yes, I have used it as a transport to my hifi DAC. Use an OTG cable, click the icon that looks like USB in the KANNs pulldown menu. It works well.

Feb 14, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #1,394 of 2,698
Not sure how people find the KANN warm, it tamed the bass of my T5p 2nd gen which was really boomy when I plugged it into the Sony ZX300 Walkman. If anything the KANN is somewhat veiled

Feb 14, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #1,395 of 2,698
Not sure how people find the KANN warm, it tamed the bass of my T5p 2nd gen which was really boomy when I plugged it into the Sony ZX300 Walkman. If anything the KANN is somewhat veiled

Better damping to control bass should never be confused with veil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back