Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
Nov 18, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #1,186 of 2,698
I'd want go with digital to my dsp but from micro usb to coaxial or optical in of my dsp seems impossible...

If you could do that, the KANN would do nothing more than act as a transport for the digital file. The easyist way to accomplish that would be to stick the files on a thumb drive or an SD Card and connect them to your car system. All the digital to audio conversion would be done by the car unit.

Nov 18, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #1,187 of 2,698
Thank you very much! I think i understood everithing, so the internal dac of my car dsp will not be used, and it's possible that the analog connection it's the same level or better than digital output?

Nov 18, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #1,188 of 2,698
Thank you very much! I think i understood everithing, so the internal dac of my car dsp will not be used, and it's possible that the analog connection it's the same level or better than digital output?

It can't really be better since the lowest quality component will define the upper limit of quality, but I would expect that the the digital path in the KANN most likely produces a better quality analog signal than your car audio system just because most car systems are not designed to market to audiophiles but rather to a large mass market. The KANN also supports Bluetooth Audio and can connect to your system that way, but then you get into the debate about Bluetooth quality it will take your audio converted from a 32/384 digital signal and convert it to a 16/44 digital signal to transmit to your system.

Simple answer, in my opinion, is that the KANN will give you the best sound quality connecting the line out to your system's aux input. In my case, I did not like that method because it left my car system as nothing more than an output amp without any selection or play controls. End result for me is to use Tidal offline music played on my iPhone via bluetooth and be happy with 16/44 CD quality audio in my car.

Nov 18, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #1,190 of 2,698
The Astell & Kern DAPs do not have digital coax outputs. The KANN does not have optical out, bit the 300 series and the AK70 do. I do not know anything about your mosconi 6to8, but did read a little about it and it looks as if you input an analog audio signal it would convert it to digital, allow you to process the digital signal, and then convert it back to analog for you to listen to. Since it does all the work, the inputs impact on sound quality is very subjective. It seems the KANN’s only option would be analog via line out, but the AK70 could do analog via line out or digital via optical out. Since the mosconi 6to8 does all the processing, which you choose will have a minimal and subjective impact on sound quality. I think that about uses up my usefulness to help you.

Nov 18, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #1,192 of 2,698
Hope someone can help me out here?...I just got the Kann with the new CD ripper MKII and the weird thing that happens is if I rip CDs with the screen turned "off" the ripping stops after a certain amount of time (different every time), and while I thought this is due to the Kann turning itself off after a certain amount of time (i had that feature first set on 30 minutes) I changed that setting to 5 hours and it still didn't finish ripping but instead stopped in the middle and it can't continue where it left off but creates a new folder!? Sorry Astell...If it has something to do with the settings then "my bad" but if not than you really didn't think this through enough...or do I have a faulty player?
Hope someone from Astell can comment on that.

Cheers

Z.

Nov 18, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #1,193 of 2,698
Hope someone can help me out here?...I just got the Kann with the new CD ripper MKII and the weird thing that happens is if I rip CDs with the screen turned "off" the ripping stops after a certain amount of time (different every time), and while I thought this is due to the Kann turning itself off after a certain amount of time (i had that feature first set on 30 minutes) I changed that setting to 5 hours and it still didn't finish ripping but instead stopped in the middle and it can't continue where it left off but creates a new folder!? Sorry Astell...If it has something to do with the settings then "my bad" but if not than you really didn't think this through enough...or do I have a faulty player?
Hope someone from Astell can comment on that.

Cheers

Z.
Not quite sure what the issue may be, I haven't heard of any issues personally with either the 1st gen or 2nd gen CD Ripper and KANN. I'll need to talk to our support team and see if I can get more info for you. Since it is the weekend, it may be a day or two before I have a response for you. Just curious if you have the latest firmware update? The latest firmware included updated support for the CD Ripper. It is version 1.05 released 10/30/17.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Nov 18, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #1,195 of 2,698
Not quite sure what the issue may be, I haven't heard of any issues personally with either the 1st gen or 2nd gen CD Ripper and KANN. I'll need to talk to our support team and see if I can get more info for you. Since it is the weekend, it may be a day or two before I have a response for you. Just curious if you have the latest firmware update? The latest firmware included updated support for the CD Ripper. It is version 1.05 released 10/30/17.

HI...thanks for the quick response...Yes I have the latest firmware, and honestly it's ripping CDs without any problems, BUT only if the screen is turned on! The downside of that is that it can cause "burn in" on the LCD screen and the player also gets really hot if the screen is ON longer time. So It would be really useful if you can rip CDs with the screen turned OFF I think...and also if there would be an option to continue where the ripping stopped and save the songs in the same folder.

Cheers

Z.

Nov 18, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #1,196 of 2,698
Just got my Kann yesterday. Solid, all around performer. No issues so far except that this thing gets really hot on High amp setting. Looking forward to burning it in more.

Nov 19, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #1,197 of 2,698
How do you synchronize your files between Mac and KANN? I do not use iTunes but have my FLAC files organized in folders. Currently, I am copying/synchronizing by hand using Android File Transfer. This means, unfortunately, that I need to modify many filenames (remove '?', replace " with ' ). Thanks.

Nov 19, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #1,198 of 2,698
How do you synchronize your files between Mac and KANN? I do not use iTunes but have my FLAC files organized in folders. Currently, I am copying/synchronizing by hand using Android File Transfer. This means, unfortunately, that I need to modify many filenames (remove '?', replace " with ' ). Thanks.
There's a Kann driver that should help. I downloaded it and it smoothens out the syncing

https://www.astellnkern.com/eng/con...ew.asp?search=&word=&idx=1000060&page=2&no=61

Nov 19, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #1,199 of 2,698
Nov 19, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #1,200 of 2,698
I do it manually. However, I get the proper file names, artists etc. in my kann. Have you tried a windows pc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back