Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
Aug 29, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #887 of 2,698
This is the first A&K I've heard that it's characteristics quite different from other A&Ks. This one has a quite a warm output. It puts out a good amount of low end.
It depends on what your history of A&K players is.

1st generation A&K DAPs (AK100/120) were actually very warm and not that detailed.
2nd generation was actually the opposite (AK100/120ii). Clinical and detailed.
3rd generation was very slightly warm (they brough back a touch of bass, and I thank them for this).

Kann is relatively warm, not AK120 level, but more detailed, which is quite "flattering" to most ears. To me, the big plus of Kann is the wide soundstage, this is a departure from all previous models.

In the end, I don't think that A&K really has a specific "house" signature.

Aug 29, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #888 of 2,698
I do have similar issue. The android file transfer does not play well with the kann.

I use a mac and also was having problems with the Android File Transfer program. Someone in an earlier thread recommended a program called Commander One instead of the android file transfer. I purchased it and it is much easier to move files onto my Kann now. It cost $28 but it works very well.

Aug 29, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #889 of 2,698
I use a mac and also was having problems with the Android File Transfer program. Someone in an earlier thread recommended a program called Commander One instead of the android file transfer. I purchased it and it is much easier to move files onto my Kann now. It cost $28 but it works very well.
Thanks. I will check out the app for mac today itself.

Aug 30, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #890 of 2,698
Thanks. I will check out the app for mac today itself.
Or you could try something like pathfinder. I remember it having this functionality if im not wrong.

Aug 30, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #891 of 2,698
Sep 1, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #892 of 2,698
Are you looking on the desktop or mobile store?... It's on the desktop store - & the 'Pro' version is a whopping £28.99 anyway!
Have really liked Commander One, but think I have screwed it up. My Kann no longer shows up on it. Think it has something to do with accidentally turning of "MTP Protocol" but don't know how to fix it. Appreciate any help

Sep 1, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #893 of 2,698
Have really liked Commander One, but think I have screwed it up. My Kann no longer shows up on it. Think it has something to do with accidentally turning of "MTP Protocol" but don't know how to fix it. Appreciate any help

Wish I could help - I'm an aspiring KANN owner rather than an actual one, & the cost of Commander One put me off for use with my Pioneer XDP300R. I would probably reinstall it though were I in your position.

Sep 3, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #895 of 2,698
I found using a direct usb connection rather than via hub cured my problem and of course the data/ charge input on the Kann.
havenot been using any hub so far in any case.

Sep 8, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #898 of 2,698
Interesting that the article says "that’s a total of 832GB of space" were in actual fact it's 574.1GB.

Still enough to hold 18,851 FLAC files on my KANN.About a GB and a bit left on each card and the internal.
Thanks for the link to that article.It was a good read.
The 832GB is based on the started capacity of the memory - 64GB internal + max 256 microSD + max 512GB SD. Of course with any storage device, one formatted, actual free space is less.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Sep 8, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #899 of 2,698
The 832GB is based on the started capacity of the memory - 64GB internal + max 256 microSD + max 512GB SD. Of course with any storage device, one formatted, actual free space is less.
Yup. ''I agree there. I am just enjoying my kann a lot. Just wanted to tell that 14 hours of playback is not achievable as indicated by A&K. I feel it also depends upon the type of file you are listening to. I have good lot of dsd files of 2.8mhz 1 bit which takes more battery than lower type of 384khz etc. Also gets pretty warm as there is no vent to dissipate the heat I guess and this may effect the quality of battery on long run. Just a feedback so far. No complaint on sound so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back