Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
Aug 23, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #856 of 2,698
is it possible to install apple music application to KANN?
NO. You cannot install any other app in Kann. However you can copy apple music to Kann.

Aug 23, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #857 of 2,698
it is not possible to install third-party apps on any Astell&Kern device.
No. Kann has its own OS built upon Android. But you cannot install any 3rd party app as the OS is locked.

Aug 23, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #859 of 2,698
First, let me say that I love the Kann – love the sound, and even prefer its slabby industrial-retro look to the sharp-edged and oddly geometric designs of AK's higher-end 300 models. Having bought and sold a bunch of DAPs over the years (I'm mainly into portable audio), I'm at last settled into this roster of DAP "keepers" to delight my ears and suit my headphones and portable components:
  • AK70 – paired with my ALO CDM via balanced interconnect
  • FiiO X5 2nd gen – paired with my iFi Micro iDSD Black Label via coax interconnect
  • Questyle QP1R – paired with my HeadAmp Pico Power via 3.5mm output/input
  • AK KANN - Paired with nothing
My point here is that even though I really like the first 3 DAPs I listed, they don't cut it for me soundwise as standalone units. That is, except for the AK KANN, which has for me has a richly satisfying sound (and soundstage) quite unlike what I've seen as the clear-yet-drab AK house sound. Plug your Hifiman Edition X V2, or your Aeon Flow via balanced out, into the Kann and see what I mean.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #860 of 2,698
First, let me say that I love the Kann – love the sound, and even prefer its slabby industrial-retro look vs the sharp-edged oddly geometric shapes of the AKs higher-end 300 hundred models. After having bought and sold a bunch of DAPs over the years (I'm mainly into portable audio), I've comfortably settled into the following "keepers" to suit my musical tastes and match my particular components:
  • AK70 – paired with my ALO CDM via balanced interconnect
  • FiiO X5 2nd gen – paired with my iFi Micro iDSD Black Label via coax interconnect
  • Questyle QP1R – paired with my HeadAmp Pico Power via 3.5mm output/input
  • AK KANN - Paired with nothing
My point here is that even though I really like the first three DAPs, they don't cut it for me soundwise as standalones. Except for the AK KANN, which has a deeply satisfying sound (and soundstage) that (to my ears) departs from the usual clear-but-drab AK sound signature. Matched with my Hifiman Edition X V2, the Kann rocks!!
Correct. I too have been listening to the Kann standalone with my share 535 and they sound superb. After all $1000 should give us both a good transport along with a great sounding pre amp built in. I have even been listening to it it with my HDFC 800 with balanced cable and it sounds too good. I love the Kann

Aug 23, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #861 of 2,698
For those who have subscribed to Tidal HiFi, how good and reliable is the service on a Kann? Tidal HiFi is quite good on my iPhones and a Onkyo DP-X1A but on some DAPs I have tried it's not very reliable.
Thanks

Aug 23, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #863 of 2,698
Aug 23, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #864 of 2,698
For those who have subscribed to Tidal HiFi, how good and reliable is the service on a Kann? Tidal HiFi is quite good on my iPhones and a Onkyo DP-X1A but on some DAPs I have tried it's not very reliable.
Thanks
Few post back someone said its reliable. I don't have it. People having the subscription will be able to comment.

Aug 24, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #866 of 2,698
Thanks
Been using my Kann with Tidal Hifi for a couple of weeks now. I have zero issues, no dropped wifi, no interruptions. Only thing missing is offline downloads (hopefully someday).

FYI, there is a bug with the Kann in general...if you load Tidal (or either of the other two apps, or AK Connect), it will no longer shutdown on it's own (via the shutdown timer). Just need to remember to turn it off or it will run until the battery dies.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #869 of 2,698
Been using my Kann with Tidal Hifi for a couple of weeks now. I have zero issues, no dropped wifi, no interruptions. Only thing missing is offline downloads (hopefully someday).

FYI, there is a bug with the Kann in general...if you load Tidal (or either of the other two apps, or AK Connect), it will no longer shutdown on it's own (via the shutdown timer). Just need to remember to turn it off or it will run until the battery dies.
Thank you for the reply. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back