Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
Aug 13, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #826 of 2,698
thi is an update on the voltage output pop up issue. Unhappily for me the Kann is now absolutely useless as a bluetooth device. Within a 40 minute listening session using a variety of bluetooth receivers (Sony mdr 1000x, Benq trevolo speakers, Inateck aptx hd bluetooth receiver into my main system) Ireceived 8 pop up notifications. Each pop up was accompanied by a total drop in bluetooth connection. A few times the pop up vanished on its own and the bluetooth reestablished itself. The rest of the time I had to press cancel or ok to get rid of the pop up. But then I had to manually re establish the connection by disconnecting with the (still) connected bluetooth device and reconnecting again. The couple of times I pressed OK the output changed to default 2V and I could see the balanced output sign on the top of the screen. This with no physical leads connected.
@kyku I feel there is a connection here with your issue. How is your Kann on bluetooth?
This is a really disappointing show for a player with an AK pedigree and costing a 1000 usd.
So right now the bluetooth is a big fail. I am yet to do a check in wired mode, I hope the problem is not there as well.

the biggest piss off for me here is that I wont be able to use my sony mdr 1000x over bluetooth when in airplanes.
Colour me frustrated.
Luvdac,

Sorry for your trouble and thank you for the additional information. Hope to have some answers for you when our development and customer service HQ teams get into the office in a few hours.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Aug 13, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #827 of 2,698
Luvdac,

Sorry for your trouble and thank you for the additional information. Hope to have some answers for you when our development and customer service HQ teams get into the office in a few hours.
Dear JasonNYC,
Thank you for your support in the matter. It is good to know that someone out there cares.
For my own part I have been trying to narrow down the cause of the issue nd I think I finally have it.
The issue seems to be the balanced line out. When I plug in the balanced line out I get the usual pop up asking if I want to change the voltage output. All well so far. When I unplug the bal line out I get the notification again and then it keeps popping up randomly. If at this point I switch to bluetooth there is continuous interfernce from the pop ups.
The only way to get out of this loop is to plug and unplug the UNbalanced jack once. This seems to normalise everything and the pop ups stop.
Mind you, the blo behaves like this 30% of the time. I havent been able to replicate the fault every time. Fankly I dont know if this is hardware or software related. In fact, as I write this I have plugged and unplugged the blo 5 times without repeating the faulty issue. Thats even more puzzling and leaves me with an unpredictable device. Is it a sticky blo jack?
I hope that my input will help your team to understand the issue better. I love the sound of the KANN and would like to see it shine in all areas.
Best Regards

Aug 13, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #828 of 2,698
Dear JasonNYC,
Thank you for your support in the matter. It is good to know that someone out there cares.
For my own part I have been trying to narrow down the cause of the issue nd I think I finally have it.
The issue seems to be the balanced line out. When I plug in the balanced line out I get the usual pop up asking if I want to change the voltage output. All well so far. When I unplug the bal line out I get the notification again and then it keeps popping up randomly. If at this point I switch to bluetooth there is continuous interfernce from the pop ups.
The only way to get out of this loop is to plug and unplug the UNbalanced jack once. This seems to normalise everything and the pop ups stop.
Mind you, the blo behaves like this 30% of the time. I havent been able to replicate the fault every time. Fankly I dont know if this is hardware or software related. In fact, as I write this I have plugged and unplugged the blo 5 times without repeating the faulty issue. Thats even more puzzling and leaves me with an unpredictable device. Is it a sticky blo jack?
I hope that my input will help your team to understand the issue better. I love the sound of the KANN and would like to see it shine in all areas.
Best Regards

Seems like the port on your player has a short circuit issue like how some users mentioned the balanced icon was continuously displaying on the top bar even when there was no earphone being plugged in.

Aug 17, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #829 of 2,698
The latest update on the notification pop up issue: So far the Kann seems to be behaving after I plugged in the HPO. Replugging and unplugging the BLO seems to be working normally so far.
On advice from JasonNYC I contacted the retailer and appraised them of the issue. I wont be sending the player back (this entails a frustratingly long wait for them to figure out whats wrong) unless the issue comes back (almost an year to go in the warranty period, So i hope I'm safe). Fingers crossed on a 1000 $ player!

Aug 18, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #830 of 2,698
The latest update on the notification pop up issue: So far the Kann seems to be behaving after I plugged in the HPO. Replugging and unplugging the BLO seems to be working normally so far.
On advice from JasonNYC I contacted the retailer and appraised them of the issue. I wont be sending the player back (this entails a frustratingly long wait for them to figure out whats wrong) unless the issue comes back (almost an year to go in the warranty period, So i hope I'm safe). Fingers crossed on a 1000 $ player!
All the best. I am really enjoying my kann.

Aug 19, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #834 of 2,698
hmm but i worry i might drop it..! :p
Its a solid aluminium body. The only worry would be the screen, but then you need a full case that would cover the screen as well. The only case I know of made for the Kann is the miter case. It looks all show and no protection to me. Im not using a case. Just being careful with it. The heat issue is real. I had it in my man purse on a 3hr flight running tunes over bluetooth and it was really hot when I took it out.

Aug 19, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #835 of 2,698
Its a solid aluminium body. The only worry would be the screen, but then you need a full case that would cover the screen as well. The only case I know of made for the Kann is the miter case. It looks all show and no protection to me. Im not using a case. Just being careful with it. The heat issue is real. I had it in my man purse on a 3hr flight running tunes over bluetooth and it was really hot when I took it out.
what is your best battery life? can it last at least 10 hours?

Aug 20, 2017 at 4:32 AM Post #838 of 2,698
The Kann gets hot! I'd recommend going without a case.
I have not bought any cover. Kann gets pretty hot. So I have been using a zip case like given below:
416VKrdnMFL._SY355_.jpg

This also help me keep my adapters and connectors inside the net mesh on one side and is portable enough. It is not large and Kann fits into it very well

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #839 of 2,698
just ordered mine..should be arriving on monday..now i hope this has better driving power compare to my cayin n6 or mojo

any recommended place to buy the case for kann?
You can by Miter case from Moon Audio or few case available on Ebay. However Kann gets pretty hot so I have not been using any cover.

Aug 20, 2017 at 4:44 AM Post #840 of 2,698
what is your best battery life? can it last at least 10 hours?
Yes you get that much of battery life if your volume is below 80 and you are not using power eating Headphones but IEMS. Actually it also depends if you are playing DSD files of higher resolution or any thing below.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back