Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
Aug 12, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #811 of 2,698
KANN will provide USB Audio out via the microUSB port and an OTG cable for connection to an external DAC. We are currently not supporting external storage via OTG connection.
Would the sample rate/ bit depth be capped at 192/24?

Aug 12, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #812 of 2,698
Hello Kyku. Not sure what the issue may be. I sent it to our team to look into.

IMG_20170813_083019.jpg

Aug 13, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #814 of 2,698
The scroll bar while sliding does not show the small pop up of A..B..C letters for search in the UI of Kann. Is anyone facing similar issue. Request Kann owners to please provide your inputs.
I asked because I saw a video of Jude on AK240 on youtube and there it clearly shows the alphabets pop up .

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #815 of 2,698
The scroll bar while sliding does not show the small pop up of A..B..C letters for search in the UI of Kann. Is anyone facing similar issue. Request Kann owners to please provide your inputs.
I asked because I saw a video of Jude on AK240 on youtube and there it clearly shows the alphabets pop up .
Ditto here. No alphabet guide pop up. But maybe thats just a general Kann ( non) feature.

Aug 13, 2017 at 4:28 AM Post #816 of 2,698
Ditto here. No alphabet guide pop up. But maybe thats just a general Kann ( non) feature.
Thanks. So it seems Kann does not have this feature.

Aug 13, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #817 of 2,698
Oh gosh helppppp!!!
I tried to apply the screen protector included in the package but I screwed up. Bubbles are everywhere and it looks so awful.
I have taken the usual precautions before applying the screen protector, such as wiping the screen very clean and performing the task in a dust free environment, but little did I know that I was applying the screen protector upside-down. Turned out that the non-stick side could also stick on to the screen and so, the sticky side ended up on top...
I only realised this after wasting both screen protectors.
The blame shouldn't be entirely on me though. AK didn't label the sides of the screen protector, so it's kinda impossible for a regular user to intuitively know which side is supposed to stick to the screen.
Future users take note: the side with the small tag is supposed to be facing AWAY from the screen. The side covered by the larger sheet of plastic is supposed to STICK onto the screen.

i agree there. The enclosed screen protectors are very cheap quality and has no correct instructions provided. I screwed both of the protectors. I was lucky I had a Japanese quality screen protector of some mobile lying somewhere and I cut it to size and applied to my satisfaction. It now looks cool without any bubbles.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 5:09 AM Post #818 of 2,698
Also, the Kann is very fragile to micro SD cards. I formatted my card in side the player and loaded with music. When I took it out and put it back, it stated that the card is damaged.
Another card did the same. They work fine with my other players.
I agree there. I had to erase and format couple of times to get all going smoothly. But I say use Sandisk as it is best suited for AK.
I used terminal Command to format in FAT32 irrespective of the card capacity. Then i inserted the card into Kann and formatted again. All works well now

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #819 of 2,698
Mac users, does anybody have trouble to connect to Android File Transfer? In Kann's settings MTP checked but in drop down menu it switched to DAC. For AFT to recognise the Kann, I have to restart the Kann with usb cable connected. AFT won't see the player, if I disconnect the cable and connect it again. I am wondering if it's software glitch or I can fix it myself. Any thoughts?
No glitch. all is okay here. you need to connect your usb cable to usb c port for file transfer. If you want to play music on your mac and use kann as dac then you need to connect the usb cable through your micro usb port of Kann. I had no issues with AFT. you can tranfer file from mac to kann and other way.

Aug 13, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #820 of 2,698
thi is an update on the voltage output pop up issue. Unhappily for me the Kann is now absolutely useless as a bluetooth device. Within a 40 minute listening session using a variety of bluetooth receivers (Sony mdr 1000x, Benq trevolo speakers, Inateck aptx hd bluetooth receiver into my main system) Ireceived 8 pop up notifications. Each pop up was accompanied by a total drop in bluetooth connection. A few times the pop up vanished on its own and the bluetooth reestablished itself. The rest of the time I had to press cancel or ok to get rid of the pop up. But then I had to manually re establish the connection by disconnecting with the (still) connected bluetooth device and reconnecting again. The couple of times I pressed OK the output changed to default 2V and I could see the balanced output sign on the top of the screen. This with no physical leads connected.
@kyku I feel there is a connection here with your issue. How is your Kann on bluetooth?
This is a really disappointing show for a player with an AK pedigree and costing a 1000 usd.
So right now the bluetooth is a big fail. I am yet to do a check in wired mode, I hope the problem is not there as well.

the biggest piss off for me here is that I wont be able to use my sony mdr 1000x over bluetooth when in airplanes.
Colour me frustrated.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #821 of 2,698
thi is an update on the voltage output pop up issue. Unhappily for me the Kann is now absolutely useless as a bluetooth device. Within a 40 minute listening session using a variety of bluetooth receivers (Sony mdr 1000x, Benq trevolo speakers, Inateck aptx hd bluetooth receiver into my main system) Ireceived 8 pop up notifications. Each pop up was accompanied by a total drop in bluetooth connection. A few times the pop up vanished on its own and the bluetooth reestablished itself. The rest of the time I had to press cancel or ok to get rid of the pop up. But then I had to manually re establish the connection by disconnecting with the (still) connected bluetooth device and reconnecting again. The couple of times I pressed OK the output changed to default 2V and I could see the balanced output sign on the top of the screen. This with no physical leads connected.
@kyku I feel there is a connection here with your issue. How is your Kann on bluetooth?
This is a really disappointing show for a player with an AK pedigree and costing a 1000 usd.
So right now the bluetooth is a big fail. I am yet to do a check in wired mode, I hope the problem is not there as well.

the biggest piss off for me here is that I wont be able to use my sony mdr 1000x over bluetooth when in airplanes.
Colour me frustrated.
I tried the bluetooth with my UE boom speaker as well as my JBL SB400 sound bar and it works perfect. I did not face any pop ups. I felt that I had to increase the volume pretty up close to 100 for the UE speaker and close to about 65-75 for good listening level on the JBL. However no popups.Also maybe i tried listening to DSD files over bluetooth and had to increase the volume. Would explore more in this front

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #822 of 2,698
I tried the bluetooh with my UE boom speaker as well as my JBL SB400 sound bar and it works perfect. I did not face any pop ups. I felt that I had to increase the volume pretty up close to 100 for the UE speaker and close to about 65-75 for good listening level on the JBL. However no popups.
Have you tried plugging in the balanced line out? The problems started when i used the balanced line out. The machine seems to still 'think' it is in balanced line out mode, even tho there is no lead plugged into the blo. This seems to interfere with the bluetooth.

Aug 13, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #824 of 2,698
Have you tried plugging in the balanced line out? The problems started when i used the balanced line out. The machine seems to still 'think' it is in balanced line out mode, even tho there is no lead plugged into the blo. This seems to interfere with the bluetooth.
Yes have been listening to my Hd-800 through balanced 2.5mm and no issues. However, as i dont have an balanced amp i have not tried the balanced 2.5mm line out. But through the 3.5mm unbalanced line out through RCA jack and connected to my Burson no issues and sounds super good. I dont keep all connections on. If I a not using bluetooth i put it off to use line out. Specially Bluetooth & wifi may interfere with sound so its better to keep these off if you are using direct connectivity through line out or headphones.
Also My balanced icon only pops up if I am using balanced 2.5mm port.
So far all is working well

Try sliding the menu screen down and putting off the balanced indicator off if it shows. I am not sure but you may try.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #825 of 2,698

Colour me frustrated.

On Bluetooth works fine. Tried it with my Samsung soundbar. My only issue is with "BAL" indicator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back