Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
Jan 16, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #2,506 of 2,698
Apologies if this has been asked before but it seems like this should be possible: When selecting album should all content (internal storage, SD card and mSD card be displayed?

In my case with SD card and mSD card inserted if I select album or artist only the contents of the SD card are shown. I can only see the content of the mSD card by selecting “folder/mSD”.

Am I missing something bleeding obvious to anyone with a reasonable IQ who has read the manual?
I've never encountered that issue. Wish I could help.

Jan 17, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #2,508 of 2,698
Apologies if this has been asked before but it seems like this should be possible: When selecting album should all content (internal storage, SD card and mSD card be displayed?

In my case with SD card and mSD card inserted if I select album or artist only the contents of the SD card are shown. I can only see the content of the mSD card by selecting “folder/mSD”.

Am I missing something bleeding obvious to anyone with a reasonable IQ who has read the manual?
If you haven’t done so already try a manual rescan of the memory cards. I own the KANN CUBE and from experience this can happen when adding new music or when putting in a memory card. A simple rescan should solve it.

Jan 17, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #2,509 of 2,698
Is it possible to listen to Quobuz with the Kann?
Unfortunately no Qobuz integration on Kann firmware, and no sideloaded apps support.

I know two methods - one is stacking. Run Qobuz on an android phone, use a USB OTG cable (USB C to mini USB type) to the Kann, which then run in USB DAC mode. This is a bit uncomfortable due to the wiring, orherwise fine.

The other method is running BubbleUPnP app on the android phone, and connect to AK Connect function through wifi which has to be turned on on the Kann. This wifi can even be the wifi hotspot from the phone. The disadvantage is that the BubbleUPnP can not use offline files from Qobuz, and that the AK connect sometimes works fine, sometimes reacts on comands with high delay, sometimes does not want to connect at all.

Jan 19, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #2,510 of 2,698
Is it possible to listen to Quobuz with the Kann?
Hello, on IOS (perhaps on Android to), you can use an iPhone with mConnect or an iPad with mConnect HD. The two devices must be setup with the same wifi network. The Kann must have Ak connect on. In mConnect you will have the ability to select the Kann player (UPNP devices in Play to). Select Qobuz. And that’s all. The iOS device will send digital datas up to 192khz 24 bit.

Jan 21, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #2,511 of 2,698
Unfortunately no Qobuz integration on Kann firmware, and no sideloaded apps support.

I know two methods - one is stacking. Run Qobuz on an android phone, use a USB OTG cable (USB C to mini USB type) to the Kann, which then run in USB DAC mode. This is a bit uncomfortable due to the wiring, orherwise fine.

The other method is running BubbleUPnP app on the android phone, and connect to AK Connect function through wifi which has to be turned on on the Kann. This wifi can even be the wifi hotspot from the phone. The disadvantage is that the BubbleUPnP can not use offline files from Qobuz, and that the AK connect sometimes works fine, sometimes reacts on comands with high delay, sometimes does not want to connect at all.
Thanks. you have been very kind.

Feb 1, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #2,512 of 2,698
I'm new to these forums so apologies if this is not the right place to ask but:

I have a KANN which I have been using for about 2 years. I'm not partically technically minded - but want to learn more, hence these forums! - and don't feel I am getting the best out of the KANN. I have two questions. Firstly, I have a pair of Bose QuietComfort headphones which when plugged in, sound great. Is there any advantage to getting a portable headphone amp such as the Fiio Q5s or Chord Mojo? Will it dramatically improve the sound in my headphones?
Secondly, I have recently purchased some Bose QuietComfort ear buds. Again, no problem with pairing the KANN but the volume level is poor. With the KANN set to max (150) it is only just acceptable. How can I get some more oomph to the buds? (this is not a problem with my Samsung phone, plenty of volume with that)

Thank you

Feb 1, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #2,514 of 2,698
Secondly, I have recently purchased some Bose QuietComfort ear buds. Again, no problem with pairing the KANN but the volume level is poor. With the KANN set to max (150) it is only just acceptable. How can I get some more oomph to the buds? (this is not a problem with my Samsung phone, plenty of volume with that)

Thank you
I've had my Kann for awhile and have used Meze 99's, Empryeans, LCD-2C's, Klipsch HP-3's, Meze Rai Solo and have never needed to go above about 110 on high gain. If on low gain, switch to High. Also, if you're using the EQ, turn it off as it may be reducing output depending on how aggressive the EQ is. The Kann can easily outdo the Samsung.

BTW, I love my Kann.

Feb 1, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #2,515 of 2,698
The kann has superb amplification. I did not need any supplement with IMR Halcyon, Dunu SA6, BGVP dm8, FearlessS8PRO .... And especially with Bayerdinamic T5 II GEN.
It doesn't make me regret the iBasso220max either.

Feb 1, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #2,516 of 2,698
I agree with all these assessments. I've got around the problems with the SD cards by using high quality Sandisk 1tb micro sd in an adapter and a Samsung 512 gb micro sd card. No more weird behavior. And the powerful amp section still drives all my phones. And a 4.4 adapter just for AK daps solves the problem with the flimsy 2.5 connector.

Feb 1, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #2,517 of 2,698
Thank you for the replies. I have tried it on Hi Gain with and without the EQ and it does not seem to make any difference. I think the problem is with the Bose Wireless buds, I think I will send them back and look for some with a bit more oomph. The wired Bose I have are just fine. I've looked at all the headphones you list and as far as I can see they are all wired. Now I understand that wired will always be a better option than bluetooth, but I just fancy a pair of buds for the beach, train etc. and at the moment the Bose I have would just not be acceptable on something like a rattly underground train.

Feb 4, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #2,518 of 2,698
I also really liked how the Kann uses DLNA so well. It immediately detected my Logitech Media Server (good 'ol Squeezebox) and I was able to quickly browse and play my entire collection without touching a SD card :wink:
Sorry if I quote a very old post but it seems the closest to what I want to ask.
I'm thinking of buying the Kann just to browse (via wifi) my FLAC files in a Logitech Media Server, for listening them wireless inside my house in different rooms (I often have to change room because of the family needs and I can't take apart and reassemble my dac / amp system with cables, mains etc every time). Could anyone confirm this is possible without problems?
When browsing my files, will Kann show me album covers with a good graphics? (Now I'm usual to the squeezebox touch user interface) Could someone attach a photo of the display when browsing Nas/remote files? I really want to avoid browsing in "folder" mode...
Will I be able to search and to order my remote files by artist/album/years/etc??? (obviously I spent a lot of time to right tag my files...)
Thanks a lot for the time you'll spend for reading, checking and answering!

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #2,519 of 2,698
Sorry if I quote a very old post but it seems the closest to what I want to ask.
I'm thinking of buying the Kann just to browse (via wifi) my FLAC files in a Logitech Media Server, for listening them wireless inside my house in different rooms (I often have to change room because of the family needs and I can't take apart and reassemble my dac / amp system with cables, mains etc every time). Could anyone confirm this is possible without problems?
When browsing my files, will Kann show me album covers with a good graphics? (Now I'm usual to the squeezebox touch user interface) Could someone attach a photo of the display when browsing Nas/remote files? I really want to avoid browsing in "folder" mode...
Will I be able to search and to order my remote files by artist/album/years/etc??? (obviously I spent a lot of time to right tag my files...)
Thanks a lot for the time you'll spend for reading, checking and answering!
I managed to install LMS on my home PC. By default it was not recognized by any player. After activating a DLNA/Upnp plugin - surprise - I can access the whole music library anywhere at home from any player.
Currently listening Norah Jones on the KANN with AK Connect.
It is possible to browse the library by
- interpreter
- album
- music genre
- year
- new music
- folder
Within the category it is alphabetical order.
For the albums the album picture is shown pretty well. Handling is not super snappy, but usable.
I still like the nice warm bass of this player.

Feb 19, 2021 at 4:40 AM Post #2,520 of 2,698
I managed to install LMS on my home PC. By default it was not recognized by any player. After activating a DLNA/Upnp plugin - surprise - I can access the whole music library anywhere at home from any player.
Currently listening Norah Jones on the KANN with AK Connect.
It is possible to browse the library by
- interpreter
- album
- music genre
- year
- new music
- folder
Within the category it is alphabetical order.
For the albums the album picture is shown pretty well. Handling is not super snappy, but usable.
I still like the nice warm bass of this player.
WOW Thank you very much Newsee!!!
Really thanks for loosing your time to check out this very particular setup!
So I think the Kann is going to be my in-home streamer... yes I don't really need it fast but easy/familiar in the user interface and good in the audio.

And there are no problems with the wifi as is happening on the alpha version which disconnects after 15 minutes, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back