Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
Apr 18, 2017 at 2:15 AM Post #182 of 2,698
Ok, thanks to astellnkern us website, i got the answer, the Kann comes with the 20 bands eq, like the ak300 series.
But they don't deliver outside the us and canada countries.
And yes, the max limit to the number of songs for the library is a good question, interessted by the answer too :wink:

Apr 18, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #183 of 2,698
Updated the 1st page with some pics

Apr 19, 2017 at 3:57 AM Post #184 of 2,698
Well I hope it ends up being better implemented than on the ZTE Axon 7.  It also uses the same AK4490 dac but sounds nowhere near as good as on the AK380 which is expected due to price difference but even when compared to another mobile phone like the V20 it still didn't sound as good.
I really want 1 single device that can drive all my headphones and last longer than the standard 8 hours from these modern DAPs.

I auditioned the Kann today for several hours. On high gain through the 3.5mm I had to turn the volume to Max for it to drive the HD600 loud enough. The volume limit on Kann is 150, I had it at 145 to get the HD600 singing.

Since the balanced out on Kann is more powerful again, you should be sorted.

Apr 19, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #185 of 2,698
I auditioned the Kann today for several hours. On high gain through the 3.5mm I had to turn the volume to Max for it to drive the HD600 loud enough. The volume limit on Kann is 150, I had it at 145 to get the HD600 singing.

Since the balanced out on Kann is more powerful again, you should be sorted.
What? High gain and you jad the volume to max? If thats true then its BAD. Balanced to get more power from its amp tells me its amp is weak. Then if this is true rather have a dap with no internal amp.

Apr 19, 2017 at 4:09 AM Post #186 of 2,698
Subbed and highly interested as well :rolleyes:

Can't wait to read more about KANN's sq / signature.

For starters, it's definitely got a dark background. p

Other than that, it has neutral overall tone (not warm or cold), accurate instrument timbre across the spectrum, and slight density in the treble with a hint of metal.

Not a huge amount of 'air' in the top end, and the soundstage is not super wide, just adequate.

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #187 of 2,698
What? High gain and you jad the volume to max? If thats true then its BAD. Balanced to get more power from its amp tells me its amp is weak. Then if this is true rather have a dap with no internal amp.

Well I hear ya, good point. But if it's any consolation to you, the amp was good, I could hardly pick the difference between the onboard amp and the FiiO A5. The onboard amp is full of detail with natural tone and good drive.

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:22 AM Post #188 of 2,698
For starters, it's definitely got a dark background. p

Other than that, it has neutral overall tone (not warm or cold), accurate instrument timbre across the spectrum, and slight density in the treble with a hint of metal.

Not a huge amount of 'air' in the top end, and the soundstage is not super wide, just adequate.

Thanks for your sq/signature impression!

Just curious, was all your auditioning done with HD600 ,or did you also try it with iem(s)?
If so, which one(s)?

Apr 19, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #191 of 2,698
Do u think this single DAC Kann can fight with Dual DAC AK240?

Apr 19, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #192 of 2,698
Do u think this single DAC Kann can fight with Dual DAC AK240?

There are single DAC DAPs that not only fight dual DAC ones but kick their asses...However, the mentioned devices are produced by the same company, so AK will probably make KANN sound little "worse", just to keep people believing in the marketing ******** about the obvious superiority of the dual DAC architecture...IMHO   

Apr 19, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #193 of 2,698
There are single DAC DAPs that not only fight dual DAC ones but kick their asses...However, the mentioned devices are produced by the same company, so AK will probably make KANN sound little "worse", just to keep people believing in the marketing ******** about the obvious superiority of the dual DAC architecture...IMHO   

You got your point there, I agreed.

Apr 19, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #194 of 2,698

Unless they 're **ses, they just have to tune it slightly differently, they don't have to make it sound "worse" than older products.

And honestly I wouldn't go comparing dual DAC with single DAC, there are indeed examples where the second DAC doesn't help in balanced mode (typically X5-iii, where I don't hear much difference using balance output, whereas the difference is really significant on Cayin N5 with only one AKM4490).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back