Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Apr 30, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #1,636 of 2,200
Using the variable voltage output would definitely degrade resolution, because the music signal is going through and being processed by not just the volume control but also the Cube's HP amplifier buffers and op amps. One of those tradeoffs you have to accept.
Isn’t the cube xlr output a line out straight from the dac? That’s what I remember reading before/when i bought it

May 1, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #1,637 of 2,200
Isn’t the cube xlr output a line out straight from the dac? That’s what I remember reading before/when i bought it
It is, it uses digital attenuation not the volume control.
Digital attenuation is bad though (I hate DACs that have it, like why).

May 1, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #1,639 of 2,200
Has anyone used the optical out of the kann cube and able to confirm it works in 192/24.
And are there any known issues with it?
Picked up an ares II today and intend to change the Kann from being my DAC to being my streamer.

May 3, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #1,640 of 2,200
Were you experiencing issues on the previous version of the Tidal app? I have not tried the newest version yet. I will download to my KANN CUBE and Android phone and test. I have had numerous problems with previous releases of the Tidal app on both my daily Android phone and players. Most of my players and my phone, I haven't bothered updating the app once I finally found a stable version. If you search other forums on Head-Fi, this is a reoccurring problem with the Tidal app.
The version of Tidal included on the KC plays perfectly, but it's lacking in functionality (seems a cut down version) and no downloads of course and I have nearly 9,000 songs downloaded on the side loaded version. Version 2.19 was not too bad, just the occasional crash.

May 5, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #1,643 of 2,200
@JasonNYC The Cube keeps going in and out of sleep when plugged into a charger...Should I seek out for warranty service? It has been doing this ever since it was taken out of the box, but I thought it was a firmware problem until now.

May 5, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #1,644 of 2,200
@JasonNYC The Cube keeps going in and out of sleep when plugged into a charger...Should I seek out for warranty service? It has been doing this ever since it was taken out of the box, but I thought it was a firmware problem until now.
Why not discuss this with your dealer. He should be able to help with his experience and do an RMA if necessary.

May 6, 2020 at 2:26 AM Post #1,645 of 2,200
I tried to install Apple Music xapk using xapk installer on my kann cube but it says “app not installed”. Anybody had this error on their kann cube?

May 6, 2020 at 2:56 AM Post #1,646 of 2,200
Let me confirm, but I would assume there is no output impedance as it bypasses the amp, therefore is not amped.

All devices have output impedance. Just ask an electrical engineer (me).

That said it seems this will have very high OI so if you plug in some low impedance earphones you're going to suffer from massive power loss due to the impedance division.

May 7, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #1,647 of 2,200
Quick Organizational question: Is there a way to organize albums inside a file where the albums are organized by "RELEASE YEAR", instead of by title aphabetically? Say have the "ARTIST", then the albums inside the file are organized oldest to newest by release date? I have exclusively ALAC Files that I use Android File Transfer to move them from a Hard Drive over to the KANN CUBE. I have had many AK players previously that used the "Release Year" file organization, not sure if there is a setting I need to change on the CUBE.

May 7, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #1,648 of 2,200
Can’t seem to get my new Kann Cube to charge when hooked up to my MacBook Pro using the supplied USC-C cable (along with an official Apple “dongle”). It hooks up to Android File Transfer, but the battery drains while hooked up to the MBP. Any info would be appreciated!

May 7, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #1,649 of 2,200
Can’t seem to get my new Kann Cube to charge when hooked up to my MacBook Pro using the supplied USC-C cable (along with an official Apple “dongle”). It hooks up to Android File Transfer, but the battery drains while hooked up to the MBP. Any info would be appreciated!
You may just met the hungry nature of the Cube. It needs more power than many of the USB ports can supply. If you insist you can try to charge it on the USB port in powered off mode, but it will take time. For long term relation better to invest in a capable wall charger, rated more than 2.1A on 5V. Even better a Qualcomm Quickcharge 2.0 (or higher) capable charger. Welcome to the club!

Ps: to make sure the Cube is charging turn it off, connect to the USB port. After a few seconds a charging symbor shall appear, then disappear.

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #1,650 of 2,200
You may just met the hungry nature of the Cube. It needs more power than many of the USB ports can supply. If you insist you can try to charge it on the USB port in powered off mode, but it will take time. For long term relation better to invest in a capable wall charger, rated more than 2.1A on 5V. Even better a Qualcomm Quickcharge 2.0 (or higher) capable charger. Welcome to the club!

Ps: to make sure the Cube is charging turn it off, connect to the USB port. After a few seconds a charging symbor shall appear, then disappear.
Thanks for the input, I did notice where the KANN CUBE “owner’s manual” does recommend you use a dedicated USB-C to USB-C cord when connecting the CUBE to a Mac. I have charged the CUBE with a wall socket and it has charged right up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back