Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Jul 12, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #2,193 of 2,200
Can anyone tell me what the latest sideload qobuz app version I can run on my Cube please. I haven’t used mine for almost a year, currently using version 6.3.1.4
Thanks

Jan 5, 2024 at 11:09 PM Post #2,195 of 2,200
Can this handle 300 ohm headphones? Sorry new to daps

Jan 6, 2024 at 10:05 AM Post #2,196 of 2,200
Yes, on high gain I was using DT880 600Ohm and it sounded great. HD800S, HD650 do very well with Kann Cube

1704553385928.jpeg

Jan 6, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #2,197 of 2,200
Absolutely. Yes. The Cube has more than enough gain to give you sufficient volume + a bit of headroom. Having said that though and this is just something for you to consider going forward. The Kann Cube is not a refined power source. In most cases high impedance orthodynamic headphones or low impedance Planars greatly benefit more from a full size desktop amplifier. Something that has larger transformers or bigger capacitance. For example I have both an HD 800 (high impedance orthodynamic) and the LCD XC (low impedance) and a Kann Max DAP, which is actually even more powerful than the Cube in terms of VRMS output. To my ears the Kann Max doesn’t do anywhere near the full Justice those headphones need. Sure I’ll get the volume, but believe me that is not everything when it comes to amplifying headphones.
Just consider this as an upgradable path. You can even get a $500 desktop amp and run the KANN cube in line out mode to that amp and you would be way better off with those more demanding headphones to drive. ✌️😊

Jan 6, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #2,198 of 2,200
I really loved Kann Cube with OG Empyrean.
It is not so far away from Burson Conductor 3XR. At least it was like that for me some years ago when I was comparing them. Well, also depends on definition of far.
I still like it, just went for full android DAPs.

PS: desktop systems has the disadvantage that they cannot be pocketed and run around with. Kann Cube can be, just needs a big enough and sturdy pocket 😁

Jan 6, 2024 at 6:08 PM Post #2,199 of 2,200
Absolutely. Yes. The Cube has more than enough gain to give you sufficient volume + a bit of headroom. Having said that though and this is just something for you to consider going forward. The Kann Cube is not a refined power source. In most cases high impedance orthodynamic headphones or low impedance Planars greatly benefit more from a full size desktop amplifier. Something that has larger transformers or bigger capacitance. For example I have both an HD 800 (high impedance orthodynamic) and the LCD XC (low impedance) and a Kann Max DAP, which is actually even more powerful than the Cube in terms of VRMS output. To my ears the Kann Max doesn’t do anywhere near the full Justice those headphones need. Sure I’ll get the volume, but believe me that is not everything when it comes to amplifying headphones.
Just consider this as an upgradable path. You can even get a $500 desktop amp and run the KANN cube in line out mode to that amp and you would be way better off with those more demanding headphones to drive. ✌️😊
My use application for the cube is more to just sit on my couch when I wana be in living room and not at my desktop haha. I have plenty of amps for more detailed listening! Thanks for the recommendation though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back