Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Apr 29, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #1,622 of 2,200
@JasonNYC Do you have any idea why the Kann Cube's volume level is audibly lower after the latest firmware update? Both the phone-out and line-out volume are affected; I can understand that phone-out may be impaired by the newly added volume safety feature, but why is the line-out, which outputs a fixed 2v/4v, also affected?

Apr 29, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #1,623 of 2,200
@JasonNYC Do you have any idea why the Kann Cube's volume level is audibly lower after the latest firmware update? Both the phone-out and line-out volume are affected; I can understand that phone-out may be impaired by the newly added volume safety feature, but why is the line-out, which outputs a fixed 2v/4v, also affected?
balanced or unbalanced out? I am listening to multiple headphones and IEMs via balanced at the same volume level as before the update with no volume level difference.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Apr 29, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #1,624 of 2,200
balanced or unbalanced out? I am listening to multiple headphones and IEMs via balanced at the same volume level as before the update with no volume level difference.
I’m using unbalanced line-out (2V) and connecting to a desktop amp through rca cables. I also have a source selector so I can quickly switch between different sources. I tested a few DAPs, putting them all in line-out mode @ 2v, the Cube seems to be the only device that sounds quieter than the other DAPs.

Apr 29, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #1,625 of 2,200

Well, there is definitely a volume level difference in my case, and a very wide one at that. Also I have the new high volume alert warning operating on my unit, so I know that the firmware updated successfully. However, it gives me the alert around volume level 38 or sometimes, 50, (low gain, balanced mode), namely, at a point where the music is playing at a very, very, low volume level. I have to crank the volume up to about 80-90 to hear it play at something that resembles previously "normal" volume levels, whereas, before the update, I wouldn't even dare to approach 38 with these headphones.

If your volume levels are the same after the update as they were before the update, then something is definitely not right with my unit. Is there some way to redo the firmware update?

PS : Actually, I'm not doing anything yet, because everything else seems normal. The volume level scaling seems to correspond now to the levels of the earlier Kann, in that, in low gain, I still have to go beyond level 100 to start really feeling the music. However once I get to beyond 100, the music sounds really as spacious, airy, deep, glorious and sumptuous, as I remember and have ever wanted it to be on this unit, so it does not appear as if anything is broke that needs fixing.

The only wonky thing still happening is the new volume level warning thing which goes off waaay too early now to be of any use, but I am willing to wait until someone who knows better than me explains what is going on with that.

PS and UPDATE and Face Palm, actually, multiple facepalms:
e64577bdfabfe70c-face-palm-gif-on-gifer-by-magul.gif

I have checked volume levels I reported from previous posts I made on this forum, when I first got the KC, and you're actually right about the volume levels remaining the same pre and post this firmware update. My bad for questioning your post.

It is the volume level warning thing that threw me off, because i notice that whenever I fire up the KC, or even switch gains, it resets itself to around level 40, which sounds very low for my cans. It also starts firing off its warnings too early for my cans, but I can understand why it might do something like that now (especially, when one considers that it might be trying to protect users of very low-impedance and highly efficient IEMs, for example).

So there.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #1,626 of 2,200
Well, there is definitely a volume level difference in my case, and a very wide one at that. Also I have the new high volume alert warning operating on my unit, so I know that the firmware updated successfully. However, it gives me the alert around volume level 38 or sometimes, 50, (low gain, balanced mode), namely, at a point where the music is playing at a very, very, low volume level. I have to crank the volume up to about 80-90 to hear it play at something that resembles previously "normal" volume levels, whereas, before the update, I wouldn't even dare to approach 38 with these headphones.

If your volume levels are the same after the update as they were before the update, then something is definitely not right with my unit. Is there some way to redo the firmware update?

PS : Actually, I'm not doing anything yet, because everything else seems normal. The volume level scaling seems to correspond now to the levels of the earlier Kann, in that, in low gain, I still have to go beyond level 100 to start really feeling the music. However once I get to beyond 100, the music sounds really as spacious, airy, deep, glorious and sumptuous, as I remember and have ever wanted it to be on this unit, so it does not appear as if anything is broke that needs fixing.

The only wonky thing still happening is the new volume level warning thing which goes off waaay too early now to be of any use, but I am willing to wait until someone who knows better than me explains what is going on with that.
I wanted to check quickly the result of the upgrade and write a Cube-defending post which soon became one of those never-change-everything-at-once-because-you-do-not-now-any-more-where-you-are tests.

Spoiler in advance: The only thing I can surely state that now the Cube loudness is at the 40 mark after switching it on. As far as I remember on the previous firmware it was starting at the level as it was at turning it off. The ones who has not made the upgrade, please confirm. At least I do not remember the need of always rotating the wheel for seconds to reach my ususal listening level of 76.

(Here is the placeholder for the story of the confusion, but I could not put it short and nice, remained confusing in written form as well :o2smile:)

I have switched off the safety feature in the menu Settings->Volume limit->off, Volume warning option>off, but the Cube still switching on with level 40. However, no warning any more.

I also switched between the gain modes a few times, stopping at high gain mode as my usual setting.

Now I do not feel any difference in loudness levels compared to previous firmware any more. With Empy around 74, with LCD-4 around 78 in high gain mode. Some classical music recordings require going over 100, some good jazz ones to go around 64.

No experience with line out, as I use it rarely.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #1,627 of 2,200
I wanted to check quickly the result of the upgrade and write a Cube-defending post which soon became one of those never-change-everything-at-once-because-you-do-not-now-any-more-where-you-are tests.

Spoiler in advance: The only thing I can surely state that now the Cube loudness is at the 40 mark after switching it on. As far as I remember on the previous firmware it was starting at the level as it was at turning it off. The ones who has not made the upgrade, please confirm. At least I do not remember the need of always rotating the wheel for seconds to reach my ususal listening level of 76.

(Here is the placeholder for the story of the confusion, but I could not put it short and nice, remained confusing in written form as well :o2smile:)

I have switched off the safety feature in the menu Settings->Volume limit->off, Volume warning option>off, but the Cube still switching on with level 40. However, no warning any more.

I also switched between the gain modes a few times, stopping at high gain mode as my usual setting.

Now I do not feel any difference in loudness levels compared to previous firmware any more. With Empy around 74, with LCD-4 around 78 in high gain mode. Some classical music recordings require going over 100, some good jazz ones to go around 64.

No experience with line out, as I use it rarely.
I've now verified that there is no volume level difference after the update. It is the new volume loudness warning feature, and the way the volume level resets to 40 when you power up the unit that caused my earlier confusion. I have amended my previous post.

Apr 30, 2020 at 3:20 AM Post #1,628 of 2,200
Long shot, but has anyone heard the denafrips ares 2 and would be able to give impressions against the XLR out of the kann cube.
I'm thinking of using the Kann as a streamer into the ares 2, in the hopes that it would be an improvement.

Apr 30, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #1,630 of 2,200
Thanks. How do I find System Information? It's not on my Settings page.
Maybe you have to scroll down a bit on the settings page.

Apr 30, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #1,632 of 2,200
Apr 30, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #1,633 of 2,200
That XLR output has a really high output impedance as you can see from the graph attached; it won’t be able to provide a linear power output to drive your headphones.F3F4F57E-AB3C-4A21-BAA4-63924A1F94E0.jpeg

The XLR output was designed to drive audio system preamplifiers and integrated amplifiers, not headphones. These preamps and amplifiers typically have input impedances of 10,000 ohms or more.

The graph data shows output voltage of the XLR output dropping from 1V to 0.8V when connected to a load of 30 ohms. A simple voltage divider network, where calculation shows that the source impedance of the XLR output must be approximately 34-35 ohms. The rule of thumb is generally that to drive headphones well a HP amp needs to have an output impedance 1/10 or less than the headphone impedance. Accordingly, the Kann Cube XLR output should be OK driving high impedance headphones like the HD800S with 300 ohms. However, there might still be a max volume problem because the gain of the XLR output is fixed at Low (4VRMS). The XLR output would definitely have a problem driving low impedance phones.

Apr 30, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #1,635 of 2,200
The XLR output was designed to drive audio system preamplifiers and integrated amplifiers, not headphones. These preamps and amplifiers typically have input impedances of 10,000 ohms or more.

The graph data shows output voltage of the XLR output dropping from 1V to 0.8V when connected to a load of 30 ohms. A simple voltage divider network, where calculation shows that the source impedance of the XLR output must be approximately 34-35 ohms. The rule of thumb is generally that to drive headphones well a HP amp needs to have an output impedance 1/10 or less than the headphone impedance. Accordingly, the Kann Cube XLR output should be OK driving high impedance headphones like the HD800S with 300 ohms. However, there might still be a max volume problem because the gain of the XLR output is fixed at Low (4VRMS). The XLR output would definitely have a problem driving low impedance phones.
I don’t think you should plug any headphones into the Cube’s XLR output, and plugging the 800s into the XLR will certainly not be ideal as the Cube’ll only be outputting ~50mw under this setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back