Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Apr 27, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #1,593 of 2,200
Try a soft reset. Press and hold the power button down while the player is turned on for 10 - 15 seconds. Release the power button after the player turns off. Press the power button again to restart the player.

Hi KevP,

They might be referring to a “soft reset” which resets the device although it preserves all your music and playlists.

JasonNYC described the “soft reset” technique in post #710 of this thread.

A “hard reset” of the Kann Cube would wipe out (remove) all music, all playlists.

Try the soft reset and let us know?

Very kind regards

Apr 27, 2020 at 2:19 AM Post #1,594 of 2,200
I've had two SP100Ms and sent them both back with the same problem. For some reason, they can't connect with my wifi, whereas my trusty Kann Cube can side by side with the SP1000M.
I’ve connected my AK300 (as a DAC) to my PC both via WiFi and via the wired USB cable, the latter method avoids annoying WiFi dropouts, perhaps that would have worked with your SP1000M. If you’ve tried using your Kann Cube’s XLR line output to your sound system, how does the KC sound compared to your SP1000M?

Thanks!

Apr 27, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #1,595 of 2,200
Not used the XLR line. Overall I would say the SP1000M was a little more refined and detailed than the Cube. But the Cube has a muscularity which is very appealing. Just ordered an SA700. Have to collect from Amazon locker. Just want something a bit more portable than the Cube.

Apr 27, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #1,596 of 2,200
Hi KevP,

They might be referring to a “soft reset” which resets the device although it preserves all your music and playlists.

JasonNYC described the “soft reset” technique in post #710 of this thread.

A “hard reset” of the Kann Cube would wipe out (remove) all music, all playlists.

Try the soft reset and let us know?

Very kind regards
Thanks. I’ve tried a soft re-set with no change. I’ve tried removing and re-seating the Microsd card. Still no change. I’m reluctant to do a hard re-set, but that might be what I need to do.

Apr 27, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #1,598 of 2,200
I'm having a problem of excessively low volume since I did the upgrade. I keep cranking the volume up past 35-40 in High gain, and I even get the high volume alert warning me that if I keep going any higher, I might get hearing damage, but what I actually hear from the unit itself is music at an excessively low volume, even when I'm listening in balanced mode. I have never experienced anything like this before, either from this or from another DAP.

If this is a problem of the firmware, then I wouldn't mind going to the previous one, if that is possible,

Or is it a problem of a settings change I have made without knowing I have made it? The last time I used it, I tried using the 5-pin XLR output to play through an external amp in order to see how it sounds, and it didn't impress me too much that way, so I stopped. I am wondering whether I may have changed the settings in some way without changing it back to normal on that day. If anyone has any helpful thoughts about this, they'd be appreciated. Thanks.

***Update: It turns out I can actually get it to play at decently loud volume levels, but only if if I crank it way up to 90 or past that, even in hi gain mode. But it was clearly not like that before this update. Previously, I couldn't and wouldn't even go near 30 in low gain with my HeKse in balanced mode, so what gives now. I think this firmware update has screwed somethings up, Is there some way to reverse it? Now it seems as if the unit itself is confused about how to control the low, high, and mid gain settings in volume, because the volume seems all over the place.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #1,599 of 2,200
I'm having a problem of excessively low volume since I did the upgrade. I keep cranking the volume up past 35-40 in High gain, and I even get the high volume alert warning me that if I keep going any higher, I might get hearing damage, but what I actually hear from the unit itself is music at an excessively low volume, even when I'm listening in balanced mode. I have never experienced anything like this before, either from this or from another DAP.

If this is a problem of the firmware, then I wouldn't mind going to the previous one, if that is possible,

Or is it a problem of a settings change I have made without knowing I have made it? The last time I used it, I tried using the 5-pin XLR output to play through an external amp in order to see how it sounds, and it didn't impress me too much that way, so I stopped. I am wondering whether I may have changed the settings in some way without changing it back to normal on that day. If anyone has any helpful thoughts about this, they'd be appreciated. Thanks.

***Update: It turns out I can actually get it to play at decently loud volume levels, but only if if I crank it way up to 90 or past that, even in hi gain mode. But it was clearly not like that before this update. Previously, I couldn't and wouldn't even go near 30 in low gain with my HeKse in balanced mode, so what gives now. I think this firmware update has screwed somethings up, Is there some way to reverse it? Now it seems as if the unit itself is confused about how to control the low, high, and mid gain settings in volume, because the volume seems all over the place.

I think the volume problem is also there for me. I’m using the line out on Cube and @ 2V it clearly sounds quieter than other sources.

Apr 27, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #1,600 of 2,200

Yes, the upgrade sounds like a bit of a mess. A&K needs to sort itself out. This is not one of the cheaper Chinese offers we’re talking about where firmware never seems to get far beyond beta in its robustness. We have paid a premium price for our KANN Cubes. We deserve better.

Apr 27, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #1,601 of 2,200
128GB is kind of limited for music storage memory with WAV and FLAC file formats. Astell & Kern advertise that the Kann Cube can utilize a micro SD memory card up to 1TB to extend the internal memory. Does this really work? Can I buy a 512GB micro SDXC memory card and just plug it in and play? Or are there a lot of caveats and obstacles (like available card file formats) to really using this supposed capability?

Apr 27, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #1,603 of 2,200
128GB is kind of limited for music storage memory with WAV and FLAC file formats. Astell & Kern advertise that the Kann Cube can utilize a micro SD memory card up to 1TB to extend the internal memory. Does this really work? Can I buy a 512GB micro SDXC memory card and just plug it in and play? Or are there a lot of caveats and obstacles (like available card file formats) to really using this supposed capability?

Hi quadels,

I think probably many of us are using a 1TB microSD card since, as you say, high-res music files are quite large. I purchased a 1TB microSD card directly from SanDisk (now a Western Digital company) and have not had any issues.

As to formats the Kann Cube will work with, I think it is not really an issue. On the Cube, if you click on “Settings” and scroll to the bottom there is “System Information”. Scroll down in “System Information” and you will see information about the SD card. You can erase the SD card there if the format is not recognized IIRC.

Yes, the Cube will save data to the SD card. You will need to set this, however (see “Settings”, “Downloads”). Also, the music app that you use will have to support saving files to the SD card. I use Qobuz and it works fine.

Other folks may be able to comment on the other apps (Tidal, Deezer, etc.). I can’t say anything about those since I don’t use them.

Cheers

1588025186420.jpeg

Apr 27, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #1,605 of 2,200
Thanks. Just one newby quick question. How do I remove the micro SD card slot cover? It doesn't look to have any projection or hole to grab it with.
Just press it in and the cover will eject.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back