Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
May 7, 2020 at 10:31 PM Post #1,651 of 2,200
Thanks for the input, I did notice where the KANN CUBE “owner’s manual” does recommend you use a dedicated USB-C to USB-C cord when connecting the CUBE to a Mac. I have charged the CUBE with a wall socket and it has charged right up.
Yeah, the Cube luckily has quick charging support, but if you want to run the thing as a DAC, I'd recommend looking into an active USB3.0 cable with a 2A wall plug.

May 12, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #1,653 of 2,200
With the latest firmware I seem to have a frozen KC. The screen displays information but no longer seems to be responsive to touch. For example, swiping left, right, up or down from the side of the screen does nothing now. Also the onscreen playback controls no longer do anything.

The only thing that still works are the buttons on the side of the metal case. I can use those to play, pause, next track and previous track.

So unfortunately the only thing my KC can do is play the three songs in the current playlist.

Maybe I should try a soft reset?

Edit: I did a soft reset since there was basically no other option. Everything seems to be back to normal.

Last edited:
May 12, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #1,654 of 2,200
Still looking for some input: can’t figure out why all the albums in an artist’s folder are listed alphabetically, instead of by release year (oldest to newest, top to bottom). Is there a way I can change that on the player? I have all my music properly tagged by year, but the KC displayed the albums alphabetically (A-Z, top to bottom). First A&K player I’ve had that organizes the albums within an artist folder that way.

May 13, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #1,655 of 2,200
Hello all,

I’m looking for a few well recorded song tracks (any genre) that will test the ability of A&K DAPs to increasingly resolve detail and exhibit a richer soundstage as one moves up the product line from entry level on up to the high end tiers, and also to help train my inexperienced ears to detect these audio differences between models. Could you please advise me of any favorite tracks that have been useful to you for this?

Thank you very much!
Oliver Barrett
Sunnyvale, CA

May 13, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #1,656 of 2,200
Astell&Kern Global Event!

Show your Astell&Kern products off to the world and have the chance to win one of 48 Astell&Kern prizes.

Post a photo or video (less than one minute in length) of yourself enjoying music using an Astell&Kern product on your social media account with the hashtags #AstellnKern #AKGlobalEvent and #Music. Make sure your post is public. Send us the URL of your post via email to the email address listed on our website.

Event runs from May 14 to May 31, 2020 and winners will be announced June 5, 2020.

For more information and full details on how to enter, please visit https://www.astellnkern.com/eng/content/promotion/view.asp?idx=37&page=1&no=8

Entries are open to Astell&Kern owners worldwide, except where prohibited by local law.

2020Global_sns.jpg

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
May 14, 2020 at 2:45 AM Post #1,658 of 2,200
Astell&Kern Global Event!

Show your Astell&Kern products off to the world and have the chance to win one of 48 Astell&Kern prizes.

Post a photo or video (less than one minute in length) of yourself enjoying music using an Astell&Kern product on your social media account with the hashtags #AstellnKern #AKGlobalEvent and #Music. Make sure your post is public. Send us the URL of your post via email to the email address listed on our website.

Event runs from May 14 to May 31, 2020 and winners will be announced June 5, 2020.

For more information and full details on how to enter, please visit https://www.astellnkern.com/eng/content/promotion/view.asp?idx=37&page=1&no=8

Entries are open to Astell&Kern owners worldwide, except where prohibited by local law.

2020Global_sns.jpg
Is one of the prizes firmware that works and doesn’t cause A&K products crash on a regular basis?

May 14, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #1,659 of 2,200
Not used the XLR line. Overall I would say the SP1000M was a little more refined and detailed than the Cube. But the Cube has a muscularity which is very appealing. Just ordered an SA700. Have to collect from Amazon locker. Just want something a bit more portable than the Cube.
I'm running this 3d because I'm very interested in KC.
It would be interesting to know if someone has connected the KC with the XLR output to an external amplifier with balanced XLR inputs. A&K claims that with this connection it significantly reduces background noise.
Therefore a comparison with SP1000M connected on headphone output in my opinion is not a good comparison.
To take full advantage of the DAC function of the KC, in my opinion, you should take advantage of the XLR output that was created for this purpose.
They are also curious to know if in DAC mode, with XLR output, the EQ of the reader software works or this is also bypassed.

May 14, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #1,660 of 2,200
[QUOTE = "orbs, post: 15568339, membro: 479372"]
Stavo pensando di prendere il cubo di Kann ad un certo punto. Confrontandolo con S1000M, il consenso sembra essere che quest'ultimo offra un suono più dettagliato, almeno quando si usano uscite sbilanciate e bilanciate. Qualcuno potrebbe avere osservazioni su quanto sia ancora vero quando il KC viene utilizzato come DAC "desktop" tramite il suo output XLR?

Grazie molto!
Oliver Barrett
[/ CITAZIONE]

exactly my thoughts but it seems that nobody has done this test yet.

May 14, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #1,662 of 2,200
however a review on digital AF seems to confirm that even with the XLR output, the signal improves but the SP1000M is still a little above.

May 14, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #1,663 of 2,200
I just received my KC a couple of days ago and so far I am very impressed...if it had 2 card slots it would be even better because I am one of those dinosaurs who listens to my own music on hard drive or SD cards rather than primarily streaming...

May 14, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #1,665 of 2,200
I just received my KC a couple of days ago and so far I am very impressed...if it had 2 card slots it would be even better because I am one of those dinosaurs who listens to my own music on hard drive or SD cards rather than primarily streaming...
Which of your HPs are driven on impressive level by the Cube?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back