Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
May 14, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #1,666 of 2,200
the diana phi which is a tough load

May 16, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #1,667 of 2,200
I'm running this 3d because I'm very interested in KC.
It would be interesting to know if someone has connected the KC with the XLR output to an external amplifier with balanced XLR inputs. A&K claims that with this connection it significantly reduces background noise.
Therefore a comparison with SP1000M connected on headphone output in my opinion is not a good comparison.
To take full advantage of the DAC function of the KC, in my opinion, you should take advantage of the XLR output that was created for this purpose.
They are also curious to know if in DAC mode, with XLR output, the EQ of the reader software works or this is also bypassed.
I've compared the 3.5MM out to RCA vs the mini-XLR out to XLR.
Between those two, with both cables being of high quality, the 3.5MM out sounds muddied and coloured in comparison to the straight XLR.

May 16, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #1,668 of 2,200
XAPK support is included in this update. Not sure why it wasn't listed in the release notes. In order to install XAPK files, you first need to download and install the XAPK Installer from APK Pure.

If you have not installed the XAPK Installer, download XAPK Installer from this link - https://apkpure.com/xapk-installer/com.apkpure.installer

Copy to OpenService folder. Once it appears in the services menu on player, install the XAPK installer on the player like you would any other APK.

Copy the XAPK of the music service you would like to install to OpenService Folder.

Open XAPK Installer app in the services menu on the player. Choose the XAPK file you would like to install and click install.
This is appalling. Come on A&K, get your act together. I followed these instructions to the letter. Moved Tidal 2.25.1 from my Mac to the Open Services folder on Android Transfer. Doesn't show on the services menu on the player, but when you go to install it on the XAPK installer it's there, but it doesn't install it. This is a ridiculously clunky process for 2020 in the first place. But when it doesn't even work, it's completely unacceptable. Please get it sorted. Thanks.

May 16, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #1,669 of 2,200
Not used the XLR line. Overall I would say the SP1000M was a little more refined and detailed than the Cube. But the Cube has a muscularity which is very appealing. Just ordered an SA700. Have to collect from Amazon locker. Just want something a bit more portable than the Cube.

Please let us know how the SA700 compares to the Cube in detail retrieval, separation etc! I've been looking at picking one up for a while to compliment the cube but comparisons are scarce.

May 16, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #1,670 of 2,200
I obviously like the better portability if the SA700. Having a lot of trouble with it in conjunction with Tidal and sometimes Amazon music hd. Suddenly quits and sometimes sits down completely and re-boots on its own. Very annoying. And unacceptable firmware stability for a unit that costs this much.

Sonically, it’s ok. Less power in reserve than the Cube. No different gain settings like the Cube. I’m not wowed. Slightly more detail than the Cube but not so much solidity in the bass and mids.

May 16, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #1,671 of 2,200
I obviously like the better portability if the SA700. Having a lot of trouble with it in conjunction with Tidal and sometimes Amazon music hd. Suddenly quits and sometimes sits down completely and re-boots on its own. Very annoying. And unacceptable firmware stability for a unit that costs this much.

Sonically, it’s ok. Less power in reserve than the Cube. No different gain settings like the Cube. I’m not wowed. Slightly more detail than the Cube but not so much solidity in the bass and mids.

Thank you, that's exactly what I've been looking for in terms of comparisons. I think I'll stay away in that case and pick up a FiiO M15 or a used SP1000m if thats the case.

May 17, 2020 at 11:16 PM Post #1,673 of 2,200
I've compared the 3.5MM out to RCA vs the mini-XLR out to XLR.
Between those two, with both cables being of high quality, the 3.5MM out sounds muddied and coloured in comparison to the straight XLR.
Gabehcuod,

Much appreciate your comment, this is similar to what was observed in the What HiFi? review. Now I’m intrigued, as the manual mentions that the Line Out mode can be selected on or off, presumably for both the 2.5MM and 3.5MM outputs.

Did you have the Line Output mode enabled for the 3.5MM connection during this comparison? If so, this would indicate that the sound improvement is perhaps due to the balanced XLR connection specifically, as opposed to the benefit coming from just bypassing the headphone amp as the Line Out mode would appear to do. What is your opinion?

Thanks again!
Oliver Barrett

May 18, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #1,674 of 2,200
Gabehcuod,

Much appreciate your comment, this is similar to what was observed in the What HiFi? review. Now I’m intrigued, as the manual mentions that the Line Out mode can be selected on or off, presumably for both the 2.5MM and 3.5MM outputs.

Did you have the Line Output mode enabled for the 3.5MM connection during this comparison? If so, this would indicate that the sound improvement is perhaps due to the balanced XLR connection specifically, as opposed to the benefit coming from just bypassing the headphone amp as the Line Out mode would appear to do. What is your opinion?

Thanks again!
Oliver Barrett

I always have it on Lineout with the Kann Cube, but what is interesting is when you run the XLR out and adjust volume, it gives you a prompt to select "Line Out" and the volume goes to 150 when selected. Using the 3.5mm output, you're not given this prompt and have to manually go up to 150. When doing my comparison I made sure that I was comparing the 2V XLR output to a 2V Unbalanced (3.5mm) output.
The primary reason I bought the Kann Cube, over the other A&K offerings was the ability to bypass the AMP section when in line out.
I'm very sure that this colouration is due to either the AMP section itself or its interaction with my active preamplifier.

May 18, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #1,675 of 2,200
These aspects are interesting.
In line out and XLR connection, is the equalizer bypassed or is it active?

May 18, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #1,676 of 2,200
I always have it on Lineout with the Kann Cube, but what is interesting is when you run the XLR out and adjust volume, it gives you a prompt to select "Line Out" and the volume goes to 150 when selected. Using the 3.5mm output, you're not given this prompt and have to manually go up to 150. When doing my comparison I made sure that I was comparing the 2V XLR output to a 2V Unbalanced (3.5mm) output.
The primary reason I bought the Kann Cube, over the other A&K offerings was the ability to bypass the AMP section when in line out.
I'm very sure that this colouration is due to either the AMP section itself or its interaction with my active preamplifier.
Thank you for the interesting comment. Unlike the KC, my KANN has dedicated 2.5MM and 3.5MM line out connections. I don’t know for sure whether these bypass the internal headphone amp, but Moon Audio’s comparison video does state that the KANN Cube’s amp is bypassed for the XLR output at least. For what it’s worth, the line output level (as observed using the 3.5MM line output connector) on the KANN remains fixed at 2V regardless of the High or Normal setting. The EQ remains functional when this line output connector is used.

Oliver Barrett

May 18, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #1,677 of 2,200
These aspects are interesting.
In line out and XLR connection, is the equalizer bypassed or is it active?
I found the eq was not functional with the xlr connection when i tried it a few weeks ago.

there was in fact some strange sound or the music became extremely choppy when i turned the eq on

May 19, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #1,678 of 2,200
I found the eq was not functional with the xlr connection when i tried it a few weeks ago.

there was in fact some strange sound or the music became extremely choppy when i turned the eq on
strange!
or is baypassed or is active. If you change the sound, I think it's active.

May 19, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #1,679 of 2,200
Thank you for the interesting comment. Unlike the KC, my KANN has dedicated 2.5MM and 3.5MM line out connections. I don’t know for sure whether these bypass the internal headphone amp, but Moon Audio’s comparison video does state that the KANN Cube’s amp is bypassed for the XLR output at least. For what it’s worth, the line output level (as observed using the 3.5MM line output connector) on the KANN remains fixed at 2V regardless of the High or Normal setting. The EQ remains functional when this line output connector is used.

Oliver Barrett
as I imagined, the EQ belongs to the player.

May 19, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #1,680 of 2,200
strange!
or is baypassed or is active. If you change the sound, I think it's active.
I have no idea if it changed the sound as it was unplayable/listenable

i assume as it’s a line out straght from the dac that the eq would not take effect

i hope others have tried

Users who are viewing this thread

Back