Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Sep 23, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #1,051 of 2,200
And it seems like the Kann Cube+Solaris give me the same experience as my own laptop+Solaris, although my laptop is dell workstation at least 5 years ago.
Do I need a balanced cable?
Its a fail

Sep 24, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #1,052 of 2,200
Its a fail
Amazon Music windows app says my laptop can play 24bit@192KHz...
I' not sure if it's true. The following pic is from the Amazon Music app on my laptop.
Capture.JPG

Sep 24, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #1,054 of 2,200
@JasonNYC Hi, I saw the charging specification that the Cube can be charged with 9V/1.67A but not 12V, and 12V will damage the device.
My question is: I have a power adapter which can support 5V@3A, 9V@1.67A or 12V@1.2A, would this power adapter damage the device? Thank you!

Sep 25, 2019 at 6:25 AM Post #1,055 of 2,200
Wanting to try some balanced cables a bought some Fiio ones, silver plated occ cable to fit my Andromeda’s. I’ve used them for about 10 hours over a few days and while they aren’t hugely better, they do seem to make the music sound ‘crisper or cleaner’ not just in the high frequencies, but all frequencies. Also the volume can be wound down a fair bit which most likely will improve battery life, mostly listening at around 30 now and was around 50 for the same tunes unbalanced. Did I read somewhere that the cables improve/change a bit after burn in as well? If so, maybe its too early to really judge yet.
By the way, the cable looks to be very good quality for the quite reasonable cost, around $100 aussie. I’m still keen to get a balanced cable for my focals as well.

Sep 25, 2019 at 7:46 AM Post #1,056 of 2,200
Wanting to try some balanced cables a bought some Fiio ones, silver plated occ cable to fit my Andromeda’s. I’ve used them for about 10 hours over a few days and while they aren’t hugely better, they do seem to make the music sound ‘crisper or cleaner’ not just in the high frequencies, but all frequencies. Also the volume can be wound down a fair bit which most likely will improve battery life, mostly listening at around 30 now and was around 50 for the same tunes unbalanced. Did I read somewhere that the cables improve/change a bit after burn in as well? If so, maybe its too early to really judge yet.
By the way, the cable looks to be very good quality for the quite reasonable cost, around $100 aussie. I’m still keen to get a balanced cable for my focals as well.
IMO, you are hearing it exactly as you should in balanced. Things are generally a touch more dynamic, and a bit more clean when balanced is done correctly. Without a doubt you can turn the power down more than SE output. I am not a big cable "believer" and certainly never understood "burn-in", especially in a headphone or IEM cable. As a reviewer, I am offered cables and I just can't justify reviewing them except for ergonomics, and for better ergonomics I believe in cable upgrades.

Sep 25, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #1,057 of 2,200
IMO, you are hearing it exactly as you should in balanced. Things are generally a touch more dynamic, and a bit more clean when balanced is done correctly. Without a doubt you can turn the power down more than SE output. I am not a big cable "believer" and certainly never understood "burn-in", especially in a headphone or IEM cable. As a reviewer, I am offered cables and I just can't justify reviewing them except for ergonomics, and for better ergonomics I believe in cable upgrades.
Obvious in balance you will hear something more because the SE amp is cheap and the balance is giving you more power.

Sep 26, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #1,060 of 2,200
Do you recommend the Kann Cube or the Ifi Micro BL regarding sound quality?

Hi Cat Music, I don’t know the Ifi Micro Bl but The Cube is an outstanding player as for sound quality, one that can match many desktop players, it has Dual ESS ES 9038 Pro DACs designed for Desktop players.

It has more volume power then almost any Dap until now and almost 0 distortion so you can use many headphones, the only ones I couldn’t drive strong were the Susvara so it is a good choice.

Sep 27, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #1,061 of 2,200
Hi Cat Music, I don’t know the Ifi Micro Bl but The Cube is an outstanding player as for sound quality, one that can match many desktop players, it has Dual ESS ES 9038 Pro DACs designed for Desktop players.

It has more volume power then almost any Dap until now and almost 0 distortion so you can use many headphones, the only ones I couldn’t drive strong were the Susvara so it is a good choice.
Hi!, I was thinking of acquiring the Kann Cube but I don't know if it's the best portable player (although I don't care about its portability but I do care about the sound quality), so I thought the Ifi Micro BL was a rival for the Kann Cube since both are capable of moving high impedance headphones, although they share different Dac so I wanted to know which one is better in sound quality regardless of the characteristics that each one possesses (as we know the Kann Cube has a touch screen and the other does not , I am also aware of the difference in price between the two products), believe me I only care which one is best heard ...:darthsmile:

Sep 27, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #1,062 of 2,200
Hi!, I was thinking of acquiring the Kann Cube but I don't know if it's the best portable player (although I don't care about its portability but I do care about the sound quality), so I thought the Ifi Micro BL was a rival for the Kann Cube since both are capable of moving high impedance headphones, although they share different Dac so I wanted to know which one is better in sound quality regardless of the characteristics that each one possesses (as we know the Kann Cube has a touch screen and the other does not , I am also aware of the difference in price between the two products), believe me I only care which one is best heard ...:darthsmile:
Just got the Kann Cube. Obviously the big difference is that it's a DAP with a DAC, whereas the Ifi is just a DAC. But you knew that, didn't you. Just trying to import Tidal tracks on it. Very slow and clunky, like something from three years ago. Not impressed so far. Doesn't seem like a modern DAP. I also ordered the Fiio M11 Pro today (coming Wednesday). Also does MQA. If it's good I'll sell the Cube, as retailer won't take it back. Only three days old. But we'll see.

Sep 27, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #1,063 of 2,200
Just got the Kann Cube. Obviously the big difference is that it's a DAP with a DAC, whereas the Ifi is just a DAC. But you knew that, didn't you. Just trying to import Tidal tracks on it. Very slow and clunky, like something from three years ago. Not impressed so far. Doesn't seem like a modern DAP. I also ordered the Fiio M11 Pro today (coming Wednesday). Also does MQA. If it's good I'll sell the Cube, as retailer won't take it back. Only three days old. But we'll see.
Ifi Bl sounds better than the Cube.

Sep 27, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #1,064 of 2,200
I've never owned either yet but have demoed both. I found the ifi a little too dry
and The Kann Cube was neither dry or bright or too warm - had great balance and nuances in the sound

for me the kann cube is the better....for me

Sep 27, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #1,065 of 2,200
I've never owned either yet but have demoed both. I found the ifi a little too dry
and The Kann Cube was neither dry or bright or too warm - had great balance and nuances in the sound

for me the kann cube is the better....for me
Glad you bought it and enjoying it. Burr Brown dac is nowhere near dry but maybe too detailed for you ? What iem/headphone did you use ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back