Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Sep 27, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #1,066 of 2,200
Just got the Kann Cube. Obviously the big difference is that it's a DAP with a DAC, whereas the Ifi is just a DAC. But you knew that, didn't you. Just trying to import Tidal tracks on it. Very slow and clunky, like something from three years ago. Not impressed so far. Doesn't seem like a modern DAP. I also ordered the Fiio M11 Pro today (coming Wednesday). Also does MQA. If it's good I'll sell the Cube, as retailer won't take it back. Only three days old. But we'll see.
When you mean you are not impressed with the Kann Cube, do you mean software or sound quality? Or do you mean everything? I want to think that the sound did not impress you and that is why you are looking for another option like the Fiio M11 Pro. Now, when you later say that it is only 3 days old, do you mean that you have only used the Kann Cube for only 3 days? Don't you think it's too soon to draw conclusions?

Sep 27, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #1,068 of 2,200
Normally I would agree. The sound is ok. Maybe not £1500 ok, but ok. It's the clunky user experience that I am thoroughly unimpressed with. I had the original Fiio M11 (non Pro) and was really impressed with the sound, the screen quality and responsiveness. But I had a lot of problems importing Qobuz tracks. So I've switched to Tidal for its MQA. The M11 didn't do Tidal, but I discovered today that the M11 Pro does. So I ordered it.

As for the Cube. I knew it was going to be big, and that's fine. But it's slow and stuttery and the screen is very unresponsive. I have to tap everything twice to make something happen. I was using a Pioneer xpd 100r about three years ago and the Cube user experience is no better with, for example, wifi. Signal keeps dropping even in room where I know it is strong.

Sep 27, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #1,069 of 2,200
I've never owned either yet but have demoed both. I found the ifi a little too dry
and The Kann Cube was neither dry or bright or too warm - had great balance and nuances in the sound

for me the kann cube is the better....for me

Thanks for the info. In your opinion do you think the Kann Cube is worth paying its price? Or do you think there are better options for the same money? I don't know, but I get the impression that it's not the best sound you've heard in a DAP ...

Sep 27, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #1,070 of 2,200
Normally I would agree. The sound is ok. Maybe not £1500 ok, but ok. It's the clunky user experience that I am thoroughly unimpressed with. I had the original Fiio M11 (non Pro) and was really impressed with the sound, the screen quality and responsiveness. But I had a lot of problems importing Qobuz tracks. So I've switched to Tidal for its MQA. The M11 didn't do Tidal, but I discovered today that the M11 Pro does. So I ordered it.
Note it won't support MQA on Tidal out of the box. Just making sure so you're not disappointed!

Per FiiO's website:

*MQA decoding currently only supported by the FiiO Music app. Future firmware upgrades will allow MQA decoding on third-party applications.

EDIT: A little jaded about companies stating future capabilities that might end up never coming to fruition. For example it's been a year since A&K announced Roon support and yet it's nowhere to be found...

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #1,071 of 2,200

As for the Cube. I knew it was going to be big, and that's fine. But it's slow and stuttery and the screen is very unresponsive. I have to tap everything twice to make something happen. I was using a Pioneer xpd 100r about three years ago and the Cube user experience is no better with, for example, wifi. Signal keeps dropping even in room where I know it is strong.
Thank you for your comments, it has been very useful for me. I guess if it wasn't for the software you would be amazed at the Cube since the sound did not disappoint. It's a shame the Cube presents those problems you mentioned. I look forward to your impressions of the Fiio M11 Pro, especially the sound quality.:o2smile:

Sep 27, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #1,072 of 2,200
Note it won't support MQA on Tidal out of the box. Just making sure so you're not disappointed!

Per FiiO's website:

*MQA decoding currently only supported by the FiiO Music app. Future firmware upgrades will allow MQA decoding on third-party applications.

EDIT: A little jaded about companies stating future capabilities that might end up never coming to fruition. For example it's been a year since A&K announced Roon support and yet it's nowhere to be found...
Good spot. I hadn't seen that. Back it goes, as soon as it arrives next week. Fiio is particularly good at giving you half of what you need, although I do think they will do it. It's fast becoming a necessity, owing to Tidal's early and continuously dogged commitment to MQA. Cayin have just included it in a new firmware upgrade for the ridiculously expensive N8 a d the more affordable N6ii can't be far behind.

Sep 28, 2019 at 2:31 AM Post #1,073 of 2,200
I'm wondering if Jason at A&K is still tracking this thread. Can he or anyone tell what I can do to address the appalling wifi performance? I am getting one or two bars in a room that is registering over 100MBPS. Its quite the worst wifi performance I've seen on a DAP since the Pioneer XDP-100R about three years ago. A&K really does need to get its act together.

Sep 28, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #1,074 of 2,200
Thanks for the info. In your opinion do you think the Kann Cube is worth paying its price? Or do you think there are better options for the same money? I don't know, but I get the impression that it's not the best sound you've heard in a DAP ...
Hi. It has been a while since I've owned a dap (fiio x5 gen 1).
For MY use as I would only use a dap for no more than 30 minutes at a time and i do 75% of my listening with my home set up I am not 100% sold on spending $1500 on a dap. I could argue that t would be more of a splurge/indulgence than money wisely spent. Then again with the money I have spent on headphones do i really know what "money wisely spent" means?

IMHO if the kann cube was going to be used at home (say with full sized headphones) as well as a portable or to feed other gear then for $1500 it does look reasonably priced. For me that is an enticing package. As i mentioned I did like the sound and nuances as a portable.

However my local dealer and some others here talk about some bluetooth issues being present

The only other expensive dap i briefly demoed was the sp1000 but i easily preferred the kann cube at these prices.
I also demoed briefly and twice the dx220 and the fiio m11 and I found those lacking for me re what that can offer me relative to my iphone for tidal screaming for the way I would use them. They were ok but not enough of an improvement to open my wallet

I don't know if that helps.

As mentioned the ifi black was never my style - call it dry or sterile for my tastes and gear. Having said that a friend of mine swears by it but that suits his ears better.

The obvious thing to say is demoing these options are very important to see what fits you best
Good luck with it

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #1,075 of 2,200
Hi. It has been a while since I've owned a dap (fiio x5 gen 1).
For MY use as I would only use a dap for no more than 30 minutes at a time and i do 75% of my listening with my home set up I am not 100% sold on spending $1500 on a dap. I could argue that t would be more of a splurge/indulgence than money wisely spent. Then again with the money I have spent on headphones do i really know what "money wisely spent" means?

IMHO if the kann cube was going to be used at home (say with full sized headphones) as well as a portable or to feed other gear then for $1500 it does look reasonably priced. For me that is an enticing package. As i mentioned I did like the sound and nuances as a portable.

However my local dealer and some others here talk about some bluetooth issues being present

The only other expensive dap i briefly demoed was the sp1000 but i easily preferred the kann cube at these prices.
I also demoed briefly and twice the dx220 and the fiio m11 and I found those lacking for me re what that can offer me relative to my iphone for tidal screaming for the way I would use them. They were ok but not enough of an improvement to open my wallet

I don't know if that helps.

As mentioned the ifi black was never my style - call it dry or sterile for my tastes and gear. Having said that a friend of mine swears by it but that suits his ears better.

The obvious thing to say is demoing these options are very important to see what fits you best
Good luck with it
In my case, I also enjoy enjoying music almost all the time in my house. Your experience has been very helpful, thanks.

Sep 28, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #1,076 of 2,200
I'm wondering if Jason at A&K is still tracking this thread. Can he or anyone tell what I can do to address the appalling wifi performance? I am getting one or two bars in a room that is registering over 100MBPS. Its quite the worst wifi performance I've seen on a DAP since the Pioneer XDP-100R about three years ago. A&K really does need to get its act together.

Its the case, Ive posted about it earlier in this thread...both wifi and bluetooth are badly affected by the wonderful case!

Remove the case and it works much, much better!

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #1,077 of 2,200
Might anyone have tried the Bluetooth A2DP profile on the Cube?

Was thinking about buying a Bluetooth speaker (UltimateEars MegaBoom) which will allow connecting 150 speakers at the same time, but if the Cube doesn’t really have working Bluetooth obviously this won’t be possible.

JasonNYC?

Sep 28, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #1,078 of 2,200
Might anyone have tried the Bluetooth A2DP profile on the Cube?

Was thinking about buying a Bluetooth speaker (UltimateEars MegaBoom) which will allow connecting 150 speakers at the same time, but if the Cube doesn’t really have working Bluetooth obviously this won’t be possible.

JasonNYC?

Yes, see a few posts back. I have the Shure BT headset and use it with my andromeda’s sometimes. At first they were pretty much useless until we discovered the problem with the case. The leather case blocks out a huge amount of both wifi and bluetooth, but without the case its really quite good. I was getting about 8 metres range with aptX HD and I’ve also used it with A2DP on my helmet headset, it worked ok (better than the aptX HD) before I found out about the case so I’m sure it would be much better without the case too.

I think its the moisture content - bluetooth won’t transmit through water. Google say leather is around 10% compared to plastic at 2%, so a plastic case would probably be much better even though it would look terrible.

Sep 29, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #1,079 of 2,200

Do you have an case On it? If you take it off the WiFi performance improves a lot..

Sep 29, 2019 at 3:38 AM Post #1,080 of 2,200
Has anyone played with the PEM15?

It seems to come with three cables, but as best I can tell, it does not seem to come with a power adapter (which should be at least 5v, 2 amps, but maybe more power would be better?). Or perhaps sufficient power is provided by the connection to the Cube? I tried to find more info about this by downloading the included “Quick Start Guide” from the A&K website, but couldn’t seem to locate any downloadable manual for the PEM15...

Thanks in advance for any advice or feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back