Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Jul 5, 2019 at 12:12 AM Post #301 of 2,200
New firmware version 1.12 is available for KANN CUBE! New features include Car Mode and EQ Sync.

We found an issue in the initial retail firmware where OTA firmware updates were disabled. It was fixed before shipping, but we discovered a few units may have slipped out with the OTA update disabled. If you cannot update via OTA when connected via Wi-Fi, you will need firmware applied manually. Please visit our website for more info - https://www.astellnkern.com/eng/con...rd=&cg=&goods=SC35560&idx=1000109&page=1&no=6

If anyone has questions or an issue updating, please feel free to PM me.
Yo every time I hit the “update” rectangle on my Cube it responds with “There is no new software”. So I have to connect cube to laptop and copy new software over after downloading from website or should this be working OTA?

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #302 of 2,200
Yo every time I hit the “update” rectangle on my Cube it responds with “There is no new software”. So I have to connect cube to laptop and copy new software over after downloading from website or should this be working OTA?

I had the same issue. You must update the firmware in you Kann Cube the manual way. Carefully read the instructions from the link that Jason posted. The manual process works like a charm.

Jul 5, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #304 of 2,200
I've had my Kann Cube now for a few days and I love its sound, but what strikes me more than anything is how powerful this thing is in driving finicky headphones; case in point: my MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Closed. Don't let anyone tell you these cans are easy to drive; without enough power they sound anemic, especially in the low frequencies. Seriously, the Cube brings out the best in them and on low gain to boot.

Jul 5, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #305 of 2,200
Does anyone know what the EQ settings is when you have the EQ off?

Clearly when you turn on the EQ and put it on normal is when EQ is actually not doing anything while with you turn off the EQ it implements its own house EQ.

I feel it should be with the EQ off it should be normalized and when you have the EQ on it should have a EQ map for A&K house sound.

So if your demoing the Kann Cube make sure to turn on the EQ and put it in normal map.

@JasonNYC

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #307 of 2,200
How do you know there is the house eq on when the eq is off?

As soon as you turn on the EQ which is defaulted to normal (no changes in EQ) you can hear the sound just drop down to what a flat response should be. The loss of whatever gains they added sounds like you just lowered the volume.

Surprised that no reviews of the unit points this out.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #308 of 2,200
As soon as you turn on the EQ which is defaulted to normal (no changes in EQ) you can hear the sound just drop down to what a flat response should be. The loss of whatever gains they added sounds like you just lowered the volume.

Yes - I found the same thing: EQ On with Normal setting = flat Eq, EQ Off = boosted gain and highs (house sound?). Also I noticed house sound (EQ Off) boost is not in effect when playing DSD 256 Files. For sure the manual should state that EQ normal = Flat response and that EQ Off has a boosted gain and Eq.

Jul 5, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #309 of 2,200

Maybe play ignorant and/or they dont use eq to be all that.

Jul 5, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #310 of 2,200
Maybe play ignorant and/or they dont use eq to be all that.
I understand that most people don't take the time to use the EQ to find the sound they are looking for. But this is kind of deceptive. They should have just added a map of the EQ rather than hide the fact its there when the EQ is off (EQ off = EQ on + House Sound Map). I am hoping that A&K send out some pre-made EQ maps for different headphones/IEM.

Jul 5, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #311 of 2,200
I understand that most people don't take the time to use the EQ to find the sound they are looking for. But this is kind of deceptive. They should have just added a map of the EQ rather than hide the fact its there when the EQ is off (EQ off = EQ on + House Sound Map). I am hoping that A&K send out some pre-made EQ maps for different headphones/IEM.
Eq on previous models were below average.

Jul 5, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #314 of 2,200
I have the old Kann and indeed you can hear that the gain is lower when the eq is on but it's in order to avoid clipping when you boost frequencies. So I don't think that any eq is occurring when it is switched off.
I agree with this.

Jul 5, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #315 of 2,200
I have the old Kann and indeed you can hear that the gain is lower when the eq is on but it's in order to avoid clipping when you boost frequencies. So I don't think that any eq is occurring when it is switched off.
Going to have to test this when I get home. If that is the case it should only be a -5 gain difference and only that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back