Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Jun 28, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #272 of 2,200
how should this compare to the se100??
Dunno I've read though that the SE-100 is smooth right?
@Daniel James, if you like the Khan Cube and U18t pairing you have to like a bright sound signature. As I told Jason at Socal Can Jam the Khan Cube still have the Sabre house sound on the bright side. I spent over an hour playing with the Cube and the SP2000, I totally enjoyed the Cube, great power, clear, clean, high resolution etc, the only thing that is different from the SP2000 is that the SP2000 has that liquid smooth sound that I cannot shake off. But for the price, nothing can beat the Cube's value.
Totally agree on price to perfomance on Cube. I just prefer the dynamic slam and bright side of the cube as opposed to super smooth signatures. All subjective in this game. :)

Jun 28, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #273 of 2,200
Dunno I've read though that the SE-100 is smooth right?

Totally agree on price to perfomance on Cube. I just prefer the dynamic slam and bright side of the cube as opposed to super smooth signatures. All subjective in this game. :)
What other DAPs have you owned/heard?

Jun 28, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #274 of 2,200
One thing here: Optical out is digital only and there is no possibility of any kind of noise being carried over the optical connection. So that should make no difference on the sound whatever the source is.

I agree that it is very expensive and will probably find another solution myself. But I think it is not vegetable leather but it is the process that was applied:

"Vegetable tanned leather refers to the tannage, or method of tanning the cowhide into leather. It's called “vegetable” because of the natural materials used in the tanning process like tree bark. Since vegetable tanning is a natural process, it's also eco-friendly."

https://jacksonwayne.com/pages/what-is-vegetable-tanned-leather

And even if it was vegetable (which I would prefer in any case), vegan biodegradable vegetable "leather" products could be more expensive than real leather, and would give a reasonable (kind of) answer to why it is so expensive.

Anyway... I do agree it sounds great. Enjoy your new toy! :)

Re optical out i was talking about the Sabres at work through my system. Sounded great.

Jun 28, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #276 of 2,200
Not so much DAP's more DAC's tbh. Own the Mojo, ifi Micro IDSD black label, ifi nano iDSD black label and schiit Modi.

Gotcha thx, good to know where your impressions are coming from regarding your past gear as it gives members a baseline from which to understand your opinions (i.e. what you consider to be bright/warm, spacious/intimate, etc).

Jun 28, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #280 of 2,200
One thing here: Optical out is digital only and there is no possibility of any kind of noise being carried over the optical connection. So that should make no difference on the sound whatever the source is.

I agree that it is very expensive and will probably find another solution myself. But I think it is not vegetable leather but it is the process that was applied:

"Vegetable tanned leather refers to the tannage, or method of tanning the cowhide into leather. It's called “vegetable” because of the natural materials used in the tanning process like tree bark. Since vegetable tanning is a natural process, it's also eco-friendly."

https://jacksonwayne.com/pages/what-is-vegetable-tanned-leather

And even if it was vegetable (which I would prefer in any case), vegan biodegradable vegetable "leather" products could be more expensive than real leather, and would give a reasonable (kind of) answer to why it is so expensive.

Anyway... I do agree it sounds great. Enjoy your new toy! :)
Whatever the case is made of its too expensive. lol. As far as optical out I'm talking about the DAC's at work mate. :)

Jun 28, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #281 of 2,200
For me the main reason to buy the Kann Cube is definitely the more powerful amp. I already have the Sp1000m which has all of the other features. I was considering the XI Audio Broadway S, which is battery powered, but it's much bigger, more expensive, and not necessarily more powerful. I haven't found many portable/transportable headphone amp options that provide enough power for demanding headphones, so really hoping the Cube is the killer product it seems to be on paper.
it is

Jun 28, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #282 of 2,200
The only crap thing about the cube has been the Bluetooth matchup with my iPhone and Mac. When trying to sync the error “this Bluetooth device is not compatible with your iPhone” comes up so I can’t put the cube in my backpack and stream TIDAL from my iPhone to the cube. Honestly this should be a no brainer, but I’ve tried everything. Please dudes at Astell fix this. A $1500 player should have zero issues connecting to an iPhone instantly.

I think the Kann Cube doesn’t work as a Bluetooth receiver, only sending Bluetooth.

Jun 28, 2019 at 10:39 PM Post #283 of 2,200
Also if anybody can help me w BT connection to Cube if you've had success. I can't send the sound from my Fire Stick, iPhone
I think the Kann Cube doesn’t work as a Bluetooth receiver, only sending Bluetooth.
Yeh I called Astell today and the dude let me know the bad news. My Hiby R3 has that tech for 5 times less. Thanks for the heads up though.

Jun 29, 2019 at 5:33 AM Post #284 of 2,200
Just a tip to try for loading up files to the dap: just sideload the apk wifislavedevice from a.m. webexpert and run it. Its a file ftp server. You can then use a web browser on a phone or pc to up/down load files straight into you dap over the air. No need for android filetransfer.
See pic of the app. Works like a charm on a droid phone. I like to know if it works with the dap.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-06-29-11-19-27.png
    Screenshot_2019-06-29-11-19-27.png
    132.1 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back