Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Sep 29, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #3,211 of 3,321
Hello,

In June my parent's bought me an Astell and Kern Ak Jr as a graduation present. Unfortunately since then I have been unable to fully use it as have been unable to upload my full music library.

I additionally bought a 32gb memory card as my music library exceeds the Ak Jr's capacity and am able to fill this. However when I try to upload all my songs to the device itself, it gets stuck halfway through the upload. I am able to drag and drop all the music onto thr "music" folder of the Device through my computer, but when I unplug the device and it syncs/auto uploads the songs it gets stuck, at various points in the process each time I try. I have attached a picture showing it stuck at roughly 5700 songs.

I do not know how to solve this issue and am growing increasingly tired of this problem persisting. We believed we had solved the issues as during a test we managed to put a small portion of my library onto both the sd card and device itself but the issue has persisted now that I have tried to put all my music on.

Can you please advise me as to what to do as I as growing very upset and tired of battling with this device and do not understand what I am doing wrong. This was a very expensive gift and if nothing can be done I will have to return the device or, if out of warranty, sell at a loss.

Please help!

Many thanks,

Oct 12, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #3,212 of 3,321
Just read some interesting stuff about USB in another thread that could explain why the Jr.'s DAC feature is so troublesome:
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/i...ly-grail-of-audio.839638/page-7#post-13516358

"It turned out that that the latest Intel chipset's USB3.0 hardware was actually not 100% backwards compatible with the USB2.0 standard."

"The bottom line was that there were millions of machines out there and more coming by the day, with USB systems that had USB2.0 broken on the (often only) USB3.0 ports and not only our products, but every product using XMOS Audio ended up not working.

"There was a workaround in disabling the USB3.0 hardware in the BIOS for Windows and a by far more involved sequence of actions on Apple Macs. In practice, it proved difficult to convince our customers that the fault lay with Intel and that they needed to disable USB3.0 (even if they were not using any USB3.0 devices)."

This is the root of the issue. I have the same issue with my AJjr with no sound when plugged into the USB3.0 port on my laptop. However, with the same laptop plugged into a docking station, it works perfectly.

What I noticed is that when plugged into the laptop, it recognize the device simply as a USB audio device, while plugged into the docking station, it shows up as iriver USB DAC.

Oct 19, 2018 at 6:16 AM Post #3,213 of 3,321
So I bought the A&K jr two weeks ago, and I have to say that it has great SQ, but the lack of proper gapless is annoying. To be honest I couldn’t believe that it doesn’t work, on a device at this price point. I assume that there isn’t no ongoing fix in the offing? Sadly looks like it’s off to the bay!

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #3,214 of 3,321
Belül!
[ATTACH = teljes] 2568414 [/ ATTACH] [ATTACH = teljes] 2568415 [/ ATTACH] [ATTACH = teljes] 2568415 [/ ATTACH]

Attachments

• 20181020_194007.jpg
    20181020_194007.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20181020_194001.jpg
    20181020_194001.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Oct 21, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #3,217 of 3,321
So are these worth the money if I find one cheap or should I save for ak70ii or Norma?

Nov 16, 2018 at 4:34 AM Post #3,222 of 3,321
It's been interesting to scroll through the posts. While I haven't read all of them a number of themes have developed which, while interesting, have also bemused me.

I recently bought a Jr (actually a Super Junior). While it's a horrible blue colour and has indecipherable signatures scrawled across the back it is still, in essence, a Junior. I bought it for a bargain $AUS245 from a local online store here in Australia.

I'm one of these people who researches carefully before buying anything and this thread provided me with much valuable information (as did a number of other sources). I read all about the pros and cons and came the conclusion, that for the money, I was not going to really find anything better for my needs. ..and this brings me to the posts here and especially the cons. They include the laggy GUI, the bluetooth issues, ergonomics, track/album/song organisation, etc.

I am totally satisfied with my A&K Jr and a lot of that has to do with the research that I did. I asked myself what I most wanted from a DAP and considering that i was going to be replacing a rather old Sansa View what was it about the View that needed to replace it? The top criterium was sound quality followed by capacity and then ease of use, especially for downloading music. Nearly every post talked about the sound and those not satisfied were negligible in number. Capacity is a no brainer and it's very easy to download music using the Folder system which is how I have my music stored on a 1Tb external HD. I simply did a drop and drag and didn't need to type a single word. Putting music files on my iPhone 7 is a pain in the arse and the simplest version requires the installation of a third party app.

So I'll address my needs. Sound quality is outstanding and while not quite as good as what my Burson Play gives me from my iMac it's not too far away. 64 GB is a crap load of music as either HQ MP3 files or FLAC/ALAC. Transferring my music using the folder system was quick and easy.

So let's look at other peoples cons starting with the laggy interface. If you want iPhone responsiveness then use your iPhone! It's designed for you to be able to constantly dabble with it which is why Apple have made this a priority for all their devices. However, a DAPis not a mobile phone, you choose your music then sit back and let the player do the work. So, it might take fractionally longer to get to the album you want but once it's playing you don't have to worry.

Next, bluetooth connection. Do you really want to listen via bluetooth's noticeably poorer sound quality as opposed to directly wired? If so, then why buy a player with the sound quality that the Jr can produce? Get a lesser one with better BT as you'll obviously not notice (or care about) the difference.

Ergonomics which is mainly the sharp edges. I'm looking to get the silicon sleeve someone mentioned and hopefully problem solved.

Finally, organisation of your music. Anything other than the folder option could have you scrolling through thousands of songs or albums. Get a system that you like (I go by composer or genre for classical music and alphabetically by artist for the modern stuff) and it's easy.

I'm very happy with my Jr. It pairs superbly with my Flare Golds and also drives my venerable HD580s well. The soundstage is expansive, bass is tight but deep and instrumental separation is bordering on the holographic. It does what i bought it for superbly.

Dec 30, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #3,223 of 3,321
hi friends, I read most of the recent posts regarding this DAP but I couldn`t find an answer for one thing especially.. after the latest firmware (v1.03) , how is the UI`s response ? is it still very laggy ? I`m seriously thinking to buy this DAP but if UI lag issues are not resolved after the latest firmware , I guess I will pass on this one. If you could reply me about this issue I`d be appreciated , thank you.

*ok, i`ve found the answer to that question in reddit , it seems not much changed after firmware upgrade. and by judging Astell&Kernel released only 2 firmware upgrade since last 3 years , I don`t think it will be solved with a new FW upgrade.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #3,224 of 3,321
I found the final firmware update was a lot better (1.03 vs 1.02) but still quicker to browse by folder than by artist. The lag really isnt that much of a deal breaker given the sound quality overall and how pocketable it is (which seems to be rare for astell and kern now!)

Dec 30, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #3,225 of 3,321
I found the final firmware update was a lot better (1.03 vs 1.02) but still quicker to browse by folder than by artist. The lag really isnt that much of a deal breaker given the sound quality overall and how pocketable it is (which seems to be rare for astell and kern now!)

may I ask how much of the storage is full in your DAP currently ? and when all 64GB is nearly full or microSD card is nearly full , UI response becomes significantly slower or is it same ? what i mean is that if it is bearable to use it ? would you consider the lag is not too much even with many songs loaded ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back