Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Mar 23, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #3,198 of 3,321
If I can pick this up for $180 brand new, is that a good buy when compared with a Sony A45 for example?

Go for the Sony, the AK Stepchild has too many annoyances and piss poor support from AK to consider, the only saving grace is the Wolfson chip. Regardless, I strongly advice you test one for yourself before you get it.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #3,200 of 3,321
I have a problem with this player. I’ve had it for a year, and I’ve managed to work around glitches in the UI etc.
But, now I have a problem with deleting and transferring files.
Normally I’ve been able to drag and drop, and delete files, disconnect safely, then the player scans and updates. New music on, deleted files gone. But not now! I delete files (on a MAC btw), and drag and drop files. Seems ok, then I disconnect as normal and then for a few minutes the player scans the library as normal. Only now, it doesn’t have new files on the player. So, seems to scan but doesn’t ‘update’.

Love the sound quality but have been so frustrated with the software side of things.

Apr 27, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #3,201 of 3,321
So I finally decide to spend a little on the AK sound and buy the Massdrop Super Jr. AK Jr., UI leaves a lot to be desired but SQ is awesome however after loading to the gills and while being played by folder songs cut and drop out if I have the display set to anything but on all the time! As long as the display is on at any brightness the thing plays flawlessly but set the display to turn off at any option and right after the screen goes dark the thing starts skipping and cutting out:confused: Set it back to screen on constant and perfect play back but maybe get an hour or little over of battery time:frowning2: Anyone experienced this and have any solutions? THX

Apr 27, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #3,202 of 3,321
So I finally decide to spend a little on the AK sound and buy the Massdrop Super Jr. AK Jr., UI leaves a lot to be desired but SQ is awesome however after loading to the gills and while being played by folder songs cut and drop out if I have the display set to anything but on all the time! As long as the display is on at any brightness the thing plays flawlessly but set the display to turn off at any option and right after the screen goes dark the thing starts skipping and cutting out:confused: Set it back to screen on constant and perfect play back but maybe get an hour or little over of battery time:frowning2: Anyone experienced this and have any solutions? THX

Never have this problem before.

First thing I will suggest is to check the firmware and get it upgraded to the latest (current latest v1.03 I think).

Otherwise, try some troubleshooting steps.
Try play files from internal memory.
Try play files from a different SD.
Try using different format SD (FAT32 and exFAT).
Try different file format.
See if any of the above help find the issue.
If all else fail, could be a problematic unit, may be try a return or exchange?

AK Jr can play most file format, including 24bits/96K wav or flac and DSD64 (but not higher).

Apr 28, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #3,203 of 3,321
THX for the suggestions Puppy, so far I've only loaded the internal storage so I'll also try an MSD. Like I said the mystery for me is if I leave the screen on the player does not miss a beat but set it for auto off on any second count it starts skipping within a minute of the screen going dark.

Apr 29, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #3,204 of 3,321
Hello everybody.
I bought the subj last Friday.
Does it memorize the position of the song where the player was turned off?
If so how can I enable this option?

Sep 11, 2018 at 3:43 AM Post #3,210 of 3,321
I have been trying to contact them through email. They have not replied after 5 emails and about a month. That’s frustrating.
Welcome to AK's (hahahaha) support of the Stepchild. They have abandoned this, well, like a Stepchild. You're better off looking online for the battery and someone that will install it for you. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back