Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Mar 11, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #2,236 of 3,321
  Yes, this is because iBasso DX series of DAPs are always on the bright side, so with the K10 it will sounds overly bright to some.  However, with the warmer Jr. they have a good balance tonally.

Thanks. I think I will go with the Jr. :)

Mar 11, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #2,237 of 3,321
A quick review-ish thing. I've been working on a review for months, but I'm terribly behind on so many reviews right now. Maybe I'll get to it by spring.

Anyhow, I find the Jr. overall warmish, although the subbass isn't strong. I would say a soft treble is what makes the Jr sound warmish, not boosted bass. I sometimes wish the sub-bass performance was better. In fact, it doesn't bring out Z5's full bass capabilities, so I hesitate using the Jr. with the Z5. On the other hand, for slightly colder IEMs, like 6R or UERM, I like the Jr. Overall, there is nothing wrong with Jr.'s signature. It's a safe kind of signature, although there is nothing impressive about it either. It's solid. And considering it's size, I'm quite impressed with the power.

Mar 12, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #2,238 of 3,321
A quick review-ish thing. I've been working on a review for months, but I'm terribly behind on so many reviews right now. Maybe I'll get to it by spring.

Anyhow, I find the Jr. overall warmish, although the subbass isn't strong. I would say a soft treble is what makes the Jr sound warmish, not boosted bass. I sometimes wish the sub-bass performance was better. In fact, it doesn't bring out Z5's full bass capabilities, so I hesitate using the Jr. with the Z5. On the other hand, for slightly colder IEMs, like 6R or UERM, I like the Jr. Overall, there is nothing wrong with Jr.'s signature. It's a safe kind of signature, although there is nothing impressive about it either. It's solid. And considering it's size, I'm quite impressed with the power.

Pair it with the Fiio E12A, Sub-bass gets added to the perfect quantities.

Not to mention, I feel like they look great together.

Mar 12, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #2,239 of 3,321
Has anyone seen the internals of the AK Jr?

Just curious to see what the pcb board looks like. I've searched online for pics since before getting the Jr. but found nothing and would probably have to destroy mine to get an inside look.

Mar 16, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #2,243 of 3,321
Dpx1 has a balanced output that is way better than the output of Jr. Via SE, has a larger soundstage, better resolution, more power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 16, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #2,245 of 3,321
Mine sold...
wink.gif

Mar 17, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #2,247 of 3,321
Could any of you recommend me what headphones to pair with ak jr? That would be sufficient enough... Can't decide.

My opinion is to find a headphone you like before finding a DAP to pair it with. I'm using K10 with my AK Jr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back