Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Oct 15, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #1,457 of 3,321
I just got my AK Jr and really like the sound, but I am thinking of getting into IEM's for when it's hot in summer. I tend to just use headphones but got the Jaybird X2's for exercise. Would never listen to these in normal circumstances though but have found that I am getting used to in ears more.

Anyone able to give me ideas for what would pair well with the Jr's SQ? I want something neutral but funish for listening to a wide range of genres. The RHA T20 looks interesting. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Oct 15, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #1,458 of 3,321
  I just got my AK Jr and really like the sound, but I am thinking of getting into IEM's for when it's hot in summer. I tend to just use headphones but got the Jaybird X2's for exercise. Would never listen to these in normal circumstances though but have found that I am getting used to in ears more.

Anyone able to give me ideas for what would pair well with the Jr's SQ? I want something neutral but funish for listening to a wide range of genres. The RHA T20 looks interesting. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your help.

How much do you want to spend?

Oct 15, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #1,460 of 3,321

Probably up to $300? I'm in Australia so we have to pay way more these days.

I'm from Australia. I'll suggest looking into the Dunu DN-1000 for around $269 on Australian eBay.

You can check out the reviews: http://www.head-fi.org/products/dunu-dn-1000/reviews

Oct 16, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #1,461 of 3,321

I'm from Australia. I'll suggest looking into the Dunu DN-1000 for around $269 on Australian eBay.

You can check out the reviews: http://www.head-fi.org/products/dunu-dn-1000/reviews

Thanks so much, I will look into this. If I raised my budget to say $500, any more worth looking at?

Oct 16, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #1,463 of 3,321
I want to buy my first "HD" dap, and I am thinking of buying the A&K Jr which I think it's a really good choice for its price range.
I have to buy also a pair of IEM: the RHA T20 look interesting.
Any other models to advise to me? In the price range of about 300-400 €, maybe with detachable cables?
About headphones, which models should I consider for the same price range? Over the ears, maybe not to big so that I can use it everyday, also on the move?
Thanks everyone

Oct 16, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #1,464 of 3,321

Thanks so much, I will look into this. If I raised my budget to say $500, any more worth looking at?

At this price level the choices can become overwhelming and I suggest you get to a shop where you can try a couple to see what you like as we all hear things differently. I also have the A&K Jr and right now I am listening to it with the FIIO EX1 and it sounds great. It also sounds good with the T-Peos 300's  and a host of other earphones as well as some low impedance full size headphones. With the Jr I don't think you can really go very wrong as it is an excellent source and has synergy with many, many phones and it will be a matter of personal choice as to what sounds good to you. Again, if you can get to a shop that has demo units, I highly recommend you do so and listen to a number of different phones with YOUR source and YOUR music so that you have a reference point that you are familiar with. You may be surprised by your choice of phone once you hear a couple. Also, don't let price be your guide(within reason) and buy what sounds good to YOU as you have to live with it. I have a fair number(~20) of different earphones ranging from inexpensive to mid-priced and sometimes the difference between the inexpensive and expensive phones is not as much as you would think, then again, I have 60 year old ears so your mileage may differ. Your mood will also dictate how you perceive your music and also wether your ears are fatigued or not, so, as you can see, it is not a simple question to answer. The best is to listen to as many as you can and then purchase your long term phones. Prior to that, I suggest you shop in the 50 to 100 dollar market as there are many competent units in that price range(read the reviews) and then take your time about further purchases. I hope this helps and didn't confuse you too much. Cheers. 

Oct 16, 2015 at 6:18 AM Post #1,465 of 3,321

At this price level the choices can become overwhelming and I suggest you get to a shop where you can try a couple to see what you like as we all hear things differently. I also have the A&K Jr and right now I am listening to it with the FIIO EX1 and it sounds great. It also sounds good with the T-Peos 300's  and a host of other earphones as well as some low impedance full size headphones. With the Jr I don't think you can really go very wrong as it is an excellent source and has synergy with many, many phones and it will be a matter of personal choice as to what sounds good to you. Again, if you can get to a shop that has demo units, I highly recommend you do so and listen to a number of different phones with YOUR source and YOUR music so that you have a reference point that you are familiar with. You may be surprised by your choice of phone once you hear a couple. Also, don't let price be your guide(within reason) and buy what sounds good to YOU as you have to live with it. I have a fair number(~20) of different earphones ranging from inexpensive to mid-priced and sometimes the difference between the inexpensive and expensive phones is not as much as you would think, then again, I have 60 year old ears so your mileage may differ. Your mood will also dictate how you perceive your music and also wether your ears are fatigued or not, so, as you can see, it is not a simple question to answer. The best is to listen to as many as you can and then purchase your long term phones. Prior to that, I suggest you shop in the 50 to 100 dollar market as there are many competent units in that price range(read the reviews) and then take your time about further purchases. I hope this helps and didn't confuse you too much. Cheers. 

Great advice, thanks so much for your time, really appreciate it.

Oct 16, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #1,466 of 3,321
  You should definitely consider Sony XBA-A3, they would be my pick for a hybrid atm, if you can get past the way the look and wear that is, cheapest I think is $343 aud from android enjoyed.

I'll have to check these out again. Cheers for the advice.

Oct 16, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #1,467 of 3,321
HD800 sounds good and enjoyable directly into AK Jr without an amp. Might fool you most of the time that you are not using an amp. I remember when I had the DX90/50 high Z headphones sounds so dull and anemic without an amp.

Oct 17, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #1,469 of 3,321
swannie007 if just purely on sound, how do you like AK Jr when compare against Shanling M3 (I owned one)? Appreciate your thought. Thanks. :)

Oct 17, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #1,470 of 3,321
  I want to buy my first "HD" dap, and I am thinking of buying the A&K Jr which I think it's a really good choice for its price range.
I have to buy also a pair of IEM: the RHA T20 look interesting.
Any other models to advise to me? In the price range of about 300-400 €, maybe with detachable cables?
About headphones, which models should I consider for the same price range? Over the ears, maybe not to big so that I can use it everyday, also on the move?
Thanks everyone

I would definitely take a listen to the Westone W40 as it pairs fantastically with the AK Jr. It can be found periodically on sale under 400€. If you prefer a more "V" shaped sound curve the W30's are right in your budget.  I find that the combination provides an excellent soundstage combined with a physicality to the music that I don't get with lessor DAPs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back