Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Aug 3, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #918 of 3,321
  I just received my AK JR a few days ago and am struggling with it aborting scans and leaving me with no albums or artists. I added a number of directories with ONLY music files and this started happening. It is extremely frustrating as I have no idea what file(s) are causing the problem. I have  reinstalled the 1.02 firmware and examined all of the directories but have run out of ideas besides starting all over again. If this unit is this unfriendly to sync'd files then that is a showstopper for me. Anyone have any ideas? My DX90 never behaved this way.

Thanks,

Mark

I have over 12,000 tracks on mine from two sources and have not had any issues with it scanning the files. I have transferred my iTunes Library music to a 128GB card and have copied about 500 High Resolution FLAC and DSD files to the internal memory. I have a Mac and used Dapper to transfer the tracks. The scan is limited to 10,000 tracks and take about 30 minutes. Can you browse and play your tracks using the folder view? The UI is not a refined product, but is just a bit sluggish with a lot of tracks. If the files are on the Jr. and can be played, the problem is most likely with the file tags. If the files can't be browsed and played, the problem is most likely with your connection to the PC. Try just copying some directly to the SD card to see if they will scan.

Good luck.

Aug 3, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #919 of 3,321

Here it is stacked on the Oppo ha 2. Took this pic at the 2015 Central Florida Summer Meet. Not mine but a sexy and cool combo. We pumped that through the Audeze lcd-x. I was astonished. Clear,fast, and neutral. Loved the Jrs interface. No glitches to speak of. Made my Dx 90 feel and look like an outdated rock. this could be my next setup.

This is my combo...great with PM-3 and HE-560, as well as IEM's (Supras, Flares & Rockets).

Aug 4, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #923 of 3,321
Does the AK Jr battery last longer when connected to external amp?

No. I got 7:33 averaged score (three run-down tests) with mixed use and no load. I'm trying now loaded and specifically with DSD files. I will report back later. 

Aug 4, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #924 of 3,321

I have over 12,000 tracks on mine from two sources and have not had any issues with it scanning the files. I have transferred my iTunes Library music to a 128GB card and have copied about 500 High Resolution FLAC and DSD files to the internal memory. I have a Mac and used Dapper to transfer the tracks. The scan is limited to 10,000 tracks and take about 30 minutes. Can you browse and play your tracks using the folder view? The UI is not a refined product, but is just a bit sluggish with a lot of tracks. If the files are on the Jr. and can be played, the problem is most likely with the file tags. If the files can't be browsed and played, the problem is most likely with your connection to the PC. Try just copying some directly to the SD card to see if they will scan.

Good luck.

Yes I can access the files via the Folder interface; however no other groupings have any content. I believe I have identified one issue however. One of my FLAC files had embedded artwork that could not by read from my Yates tagging program. I replaced the artwork and reloaded the album and scan successfully completed. Now why the scan process could not simply halt at that song so didn't have to hunt for it or better yet simply not display it, is a bug that should be fixed in my opinion. Had I been a beta tester this type of bug would have been a showstopper as with literally thousands of songs trying to find the faulty one should not be left to the user nor should it prevent others from showing up. 

Aug 4, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #925 of 3,321

Yes I can access the files via the Folder interface; however no other groupings have any content. I believe I have identified one issue however. One of my FLAC files had embedded artwork that could not by read from my Yates tagging program. I replaced the artwork and reloaded the album and scan successfully completed. Now why the scan process could not simply halt at that song so didn't have to hunt for it or better yet simply not display it, is a bug that should be fixed in my opinion. Had I been a beta tester this type of bug would have been a showstopper as with literally thousands of songs trying to find the faulty one should not be left to the user nor should it prevent others from showing up. 

Glad you found the problem. Hope you enjoy the SQ a lot more than the loading process.

Aug 4, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #927 of 3,321
Aug 4, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #928 of 3,321
My leather case is en route, too.

I don't know if Jr form-factor let some room to DIY. It might be tricky to work on such a small device. 
I am not sure that I would like to carry Jr with an amp. Its size is one of its killer advantage.

I might try line out after what I heard from some previous posts, though. I didn't got rid of my Cayin C5. It might worth a try (maybe C5 is too much in the dark side).

Aug 4, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #929 of 3,321

Nathan's review is now online!

http://www.headfonia.com/astell-kern-ak-jr-who-you-calling-junior/

Liked the review and dry, open is a good take on it. I still prefer the AK100 mk2 which can sound warmer or not depending on FW but would also view the JR as an upgrade on the original 100 simply due to output impedance. I think the mk2 still has a bit more color and depth but it's close. I can imagine Nathan with the tiny JR, GR8s and a smile. Great sound that takes up less space than a wallet.
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back