Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Jul 31, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #886 of 3,321
I can agree on this. I would love to hear this with some amplification, but I returned my RX to fund this. Also, I almost wouldn't feel right compromising it's slim form! The 8740 is a personal favorite of mine as well, it just produces a weighty sound without being slow or muddy.

And it looks like my leather case got lost somewhere in the post office in Indiana. Sigh.

Pleather, right? It should be half the length, and a bit thicker, to work properly in pockets. Stupid, stupid to be so long to work only in jeans popular in the early 2000s. 

Aug 1, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #887 of 3,321
Can anyone help me? I've out jpg art work in the folders so I am getting art work when I play songs but no art work next to names on the list screen. Obviously I'm missing something, can anyone shed any light?

Aug 1, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #888 of 3,321
If you are browsing through the 'Folders' section, then typically with most DAP's I've used, it doesn't display album art. However, if you browse through one of the categories, such as 'Artists' and 'Albums', then the album art shows up. Also 'Genres' picks an album art from the specific genre to display. In my experience with the AK Jr, only 'Songs' and 'Folders' does not show album art. As said earlier, as with most DAP's I've used it is common for album art to not show when browsing folders, but it would have been nice to display the album art when scanning through 'Songs' category, which I've seen other DAP's do. With that being said all my album art work is embedded in my FLAC and AIFF files (using Mp3Tag). I have been very particular in keeping my music library clean. All album art work is 600x600 JPEG, if I happen to download a larger JPEG, then I resize it to 600x600. All folders in my library contain only FLAC, AIFF, and maybe an occassional MP3; no TXT, PDF, or any other file types. I have found that keeping a clean music library really helps my device run more smoothly. I have been using the AK Jr for about a week now. I have not experinced any of the quirks or lags than many have stated. Mine has been providing me with a smooth UI experience and extremely great sound. So far very happy with the AK Jr.

Aug 1, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #889 of 3,321
Sorry, I meant when browsing in the artists category I am only seeing art work next to some artists. Yet when I click on a song the artwork appears as it should. I think i will have to go down the mo3tag route. Also I have artwork show up when a song is playing that is 1000x1000px. Do you think the reason they are not showing on the artists list screen is a size issue?

Aug 1, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #890 of 3,321
I don't think that 1000x1000 would be too large. You may just want to check your folders and make sure that no unnecessary files are in there, mainly text files. These players are scanning everything and only need certain files to operate, so when the device comes to a file that is not in the written program, it gets hung up. That's why I can't stress to folks enough to keep clean music libraries. I know when I rip CD's to FLAC using dBpoweramp it creates a TXT file (explaining the quality of the rip) gets placed in my music folder. I always delete that TXT file. When I purchase music from HD Tracks, I always delete their album art and embed my own. I also delete the PDF file they include in their folders and I rename the music file to a standard naming convention that I use. All my files are done this way. I hold a standard in the process of collecting my music. I know some may think this is overkill, but I enjoy it. This is a hobby for me and I love it. Collecting the music and listening to music, the whole process is enjoyable to me. I can tell you one thing, I honestly believe that the extra precaution I take in maintaining a clean and standard music collection has prevented me from experiencing the headaches that many others have posted here on headfi. I have owned the DX50, AK100, X1, ZX2 and now the AK Jr and I have never had a problem with any of them. All the posts concerning these fine DAP's were all plagued by folks experiencing headaches of the devices not reading their libraries properly, giving them hours and days of torture and headache. These aren't Apple iDevices, which I believe have to be the easiest devices I have ever used (and believe me I am a tech geek, I've used many tech devices). These DAP's, that many here on headfi are using, are boutique players developed by much smaller companies than Apple, so they don't have the resources to make their devices bomb proof. I just think that the extra time it takes to clean up our music libraries pays off in much greater dividends in the end; as I stated in an earlier post and other posts on headfi, I believe "Garbage In = Garbage Out".

Sorry for being so long winded just trying to give advise and help. I think many can be enjoying these devices and get to some serious enjoyable music listening by giving a little extra time and care to their music libraries.

Anyways hope this helps.

Aug 1, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #891 of 3,321
I personally make sure my jpeg is 500x500 and formatted as baseline optimized. I use Photoshop, but you can do it in free programs like GIMP.

Now, I think this next step is the main problem, I guess.

This is my file opened in MP3tag. Notice how it says 'Other'? I'm not sure why it's like this, but you have to change it so that the embedded artwork is for the front cover.

I think 1000x1000 should be fine, but make sure it's formatted to baseline (or baseline optimized) and set to 'Front Cover' then it should work.

Aug 1, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #893 of 3,321
Can anyone help me with this. I'm planning to buy this player and use it to play music in my 2015 Yukon Denali via the USB ports, will this works? Currently have an iPod touch connected and it works great but want something with better audio quality.
Thanks in advance!

Cuki

Aug 1, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #894 of 3,321
IMO, the difference in resolution when played through a car system is very small, comparing different sources.

Aug 1, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #895 of 3,321
Can anyone help me with this. I'm planning to buy this player and use it to play music in my 2015 Yukon Denali via the USB ports, will this works? Currently have an iPod touch connected and it works great but want something with better audio quality.
Thanks in advance!

Cuki

not through usb but via aux-in

Aug 2, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #897 of 3,321
Any idea if this would be compatible via Bluetooth with my zik 2 as presumably there is currently no app from them for this device as it's not android or iOS ? - I have posted on their forum to ask there too

Aug 2, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #898 of 3,321
Any idea if this would be compatible via Bluetooth with my zik 2 as presumably there is currently no app from them for this device as it's not android or iOS ? - I have posted on their forum to ask there too

Bluetooth is a wireless standard. AK Jr. supports Bluetooth 4.0 and should be backwards compatible with older specfications. You don't an app specific to your headphone unless the headphone uses a propriety connection.

Aug 2, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #899 of 3,321
Bluetooth is a wireless standard. AK Jr. supports Bluetooth 4.0 and should be backwards compatible with older specfications. You don't an app specific to your headphone unless the headphone uses a propriety connection.

Agree. The zik will connect. Well should. However as far as I am aware there is quite a bit of dsp and voodoo at play with the parrot app to improve/alter the sound, so they may sound terrible

Aug 2, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #900 of 3,321
Agree. The zik will connect. Well should. However as far as I am aware there is quite a bit of dsp and voodoo at play with the parrot app to improve/alter the sound, so they may sound terrible

Actually, no need to buy a DAP like AK Jr if all you are going to use is a bluetooth headphone. It kind of defeats the purpose of having a dedicated DAP. So get a device that most likely work with the bluetooth headphone you have that supports the DSP/sotware it was designed for and call it a day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back