Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Aug 2, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #901 of 3,321

Here it is stacked on the Oppo ha 2. Took this pic at the 2015 Central Florida Summer Meet. Not mine but a sexy and cool combo. We pumped that through the Audeze lcd-x. I was astonished. Clear,fast, and neutral. Loved the Jrs interface. No glitches to speak of. Made my Dx 90 feel and look like an outdated rock. this could be my next setup.

Aug 2, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #902 of 3,321

Here it is stacked on the Oppo ha 2. Took this pic at the 2015 Central Florida Summer Meet. Not mine but a sexy and cool combo. We pumped that through the Audeze lcd-x. I was astonished. Clear,fast, and neutral. Loved the Jrs interface. No glitches to speak of. Made my Dx 90 feel and look like an outdated rock. this could be my next setup.

What I run with, but I use lcd2 totally recommend it great all round sound :thumbsup:

Aug 2, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #904 of 3,321
Im thinking of "trading up" from my fiio x5 to this and it would be handy if it occasionally would play BT with the ziks for the gym and jogging - I've got my IE800 for everything else
smily_headphones1.gif

I have both and one thing that stands out is the size, its nice to have the Jr. in your hand or pocket it is really small and light. I like the sound of both but lately have preferred the sound of the Jr. especially with my CIEMs.

Aug 2, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #906 of 3,321

Oh man that screen protector! I was afraid of mine looking like that lol. I had to retry it a few times before it looked good. 

How is the battery life compared between the AK Jr and Fiio X5II? Love the sound and form factor of the AK Jr, just wish the battery lasted a little longer.

According to the FiiO website, the battery is estimated to last 10 hours, which is about the same as the Jr. 

Aug 3, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #909 of 3,321
I just received my AK JR a few days ago and am struggling with it aborting scans and leaving me with no albums or artists. I added a number of directories with ONLY music files and this started happening. It is extremely frustrating as I have no idea what file(s) are causing the problem. I have  reinstalled the 1.02 firmware and examined all of the directories but have run out of ideas besides starting all over again. If this unit is this unfriendly to sync'd files then that is a showstopper for me. Anyone have any ideas? My DX90 never behaved this way.

Thanks,

Mark

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #910 of 3,321
  I just received my AK JR a few days ago and am struggling with it aborting scans and leaving me with no albums or artists. I added a number of directories with ONLY music files and this started happening. It is extremely frustrating as I have no idea what file(s) are causing the problem. I have  reinstalled the 1.02 firmware and examined all of the directories but have run out of ideas besides starting all over again. If this unit is this unfriendly to sync'd files then that is a showstopper for me. Anyone have any ideas? My DX90 never behaved this way.

Thanks,

Mark

Hm, first time I've heard of someone having an issue like this.

I recommend going through your music slowly. I'm not sure how your music is organized, but go album by album or artist by artist until you can see what is causing you problems. You may want to find a second or third album/artist causing problems as it'll help you narrow down the issue. You can sort of inspect the stuff causing problems to see if they have something in common that your other stuff (that doesn't cause problems) don't have. 

You can check your files' tags using MP3tag - you might be able to find some strange or different that may be causing problems. Perhaps your files or folders have characters that the Jr just doesn't support.

If you're using a micro SD card, you may want to try another one or even try the Jr's internal storage. 

Aug 3, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #911 of 3,321
  Hm, first time I've heard of someone having an issue like this.

I recommend going through your music slowly. I'm not sure how your music is organized, but go album by album or artist by artist until you can see what is causing you problems. You may want to find a second or third album/artist causing problems as it'll help you narrow down the issue. You can sort of inspect the stuff causing problems to see if they have something in common that your other stuff (that doesn't cause problems) don't have. 

You can check your files' tags using MP3tag - you might be able to find some strange or different that may be causing problems. Perhaps your files or folders have characters that the Jr just doesn't support.

If you're using a micro SD card, you may want to try another one or even try the Jr's internal storage. 

Thanks for your response. I am using internal storage. The issue is that there is no indication from the device as to which track it is failing on which is a significant usability deficiency. When I tried my 128GB card what works fine in my DX90 the scanning loops incessantly. I have to remove the card to get it to stop. This is my first AK which has not left a good impression. I am in the software profession and previously was in consumer electronics, and this type of error handling is really not acceptable in a consumer product especially at these price points. Once I identify the file(s) or the issue I will try to submit a support ticket but their website does not appear to directly support this function. 

Aug 3, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #912 of 3,321
Right I definitely fancy one - I fancy one of the red ones to be honest - Anyone know of a good electronics website to get one shipped from Hong Kong to the UK ?  :) Isee SimplyElectronics.net have them at a good price but bad reviews of their deliveries all over the web....

Aug 3, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #913 of 3,321

Thanks for your response. I am using internal storage. The issue is that there is no indication from the device as to which track it is failing on which is a significant usability deficiency. When I tried my 128GB card what works fine in my DX90 the scanning loops incessantly. I have to remove the card to get it to stop. This is my first AK which has not left a good impression. I am in the software profession and previously was in consumer electronics, and this type of error handling is really not acceptable in a consumer product especially at these price points. Once I identify the file(s) or the issue I will try to submit a support ticket but their website does not appear to directly support this function. 

*patpat* I feel your pain, Mark-sf.

The second last time I tried to use Windows Explorer to copy over three folders, which were filled with about 30GB worth of music in total, the Jr. behaved in the most bizarre fashion.

It started transferring files, as one would normally expect. So, I let it continue in the background and went about my business, doing other things. When I checked back about 10 minutes later, I noticed the file transfer was reporting that it was going at a speed that was similar to USB 3.0. "Odd", I thought to myself. I was pretty sure it only had a USB 2.0 connection. Oh well. Just let it go and see what happens.

Once completed, the folders were an utter and total mess, filled with gibberish files, false files sizes, etc.

I had to run CHKDSK to sort it out and eventually just delete it all.

After that, I chucked the thing in a drawer and let it sit there for a week before I tried to transfer files over again. This time, I just moved one folder at a time, and it worked as expected.

So yes. I can completely agree with your assessment of the state of the Jr's firmware, and how it's in a pretty ridiculously poor state for an expensive consumer-grade device. Sure, others will say, "I haven't experienced any problems". And frankly, good for those people. But the point is, those people were lucky. For the prices that AK charges, they need to make certain every possible usage scenario is covered in their firmware. Or at least, as many usage scenarios as is reasonable.

And I don't think, "Copying three folders" is an unreasonable usage scenario.

I intend to give AK one, MAYBE two firmware revisions for the Jr. to get it right. If not, then I'm going to sell it to some other poor schm—er, I mean, an AK aficionado.
wink.gif

Aug 3, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #914 of 3,321
  *patpat* I feel your pain, Mark-sf.

The second last time I tried to use Windows Explorer to copy over three folders, which were filled with about 30GB worth of music in total, the Jr. behaved in the most bizarre fashion.

It started transferring files, as one would normally expect. So, I let it continue in the background and went about my business, doing other things. When I checked back about 10 minutes later, I noticed the file transfer was reporting that it was going at a speed that was similar to USB 3.0. "Odd", I thought to myself. I was pretty sure it only had a USB 2.0 connection. Oh well. Just let it go and see what happens.

Once completed, the folders were an utter and total mess, filled with gibberish files, false files sizes, etc.

I had to run CHKDSK to sort it out and eventually just delete it all.

After that, I chucked the thing in a drawer and let it sit there for a week before I tried to transfer files over again. This time, I just moved one folder at a time, and it worked as expected.

So yes. I can completely agree with your assessment of the state of the Jr's firmware, and how it's in a pretty ridiculously poor state for an expensive consumer-grade device. Sure, others will say, "I haven't experienced any problems". And frankly, good for those people. But the point is, those people were lucky. For the prices that AK charges, they need to make certain every possible usage scenario is covered in their firmware. Or at least, as many usage scenarios as is reasonable.

And I don't think, "Copying three folders" is an unreasonable usage scenario.

I intend to give AK one, MAYBE two firmware revisions for the Jr. to get it right. If not, then I'm going to sell it to some other poor schm—er, I mean, an AK aficionado.
wink.gif

Definitely NOT USB 3.0. USB transfer is slow. I drag and dropped about 32 to 40GB and it took well over an hour. 

Aug 3, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #915 of 3,321
I upgraded to Firmware 1.02 before transferring files to my AK Jr.

Copied 33 folders (each folder a separate music album) all at the same time and all came out nicely. Copied to the internal memory and they are mixed types (all lossless Apple files, FLAC and WAV). Slower transfer. All album arts appeared with issues though.

Tried again with the same 33 folders to microSD card with USB3.0 reader/writer. It is much faster than copying to internal memory though. Both methods turned out fine in usage though.

Thus, will use the microSD card as main transfer method from now on.

My experience with my DX90 is directly opposite though. Lots of album covers could not appear in DX90, but no such issue when I am using AK Jr.

General interface is slightly slower compared to my iPhone, and I hope the next firmware could make it faster. That is the only small complaint, but I am very satisfied with the AK Jr after using for a week. Straight forward interface which is smooth (slightly slow) and intuitive enough. Sound quality is really good.

My first AK, thus not considered a AK fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back