Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Jul 17, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #722 of 3,321
  Hey guys, Would you say the JR is a warm sounding dac? I perfer a brighter sound so should I look somewhere else?

AK100ii is brighter than the Jr from a quick comparison. My reference(preference even) is the HDP-R10 which I just did a somewhat head to head comparison with AK100ii.

Jul 17, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #724 of 3,321
Gotta love China's free next day shipping.  This thing is gorgeous.  Here are some pics for you guys, the blue leather case should be here next week.

Jul 18, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #726 of 3,321
Well I'm currently living in China so its free domestic 1 day shipping =P

Just bought it from A&K's distributor in China, they also gave a free pair of their iRiver AT500.  Not bad, though I have no use for it.

More pics to share!

Jul 18, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #730 of 3,321
how do you use the usb dac on this? I have it plugged in, installed and selected as the deafault player but i hear no sound either from the speakers, the device or the headphone jack. what am i doing wrong? its y first usb dac

Jul 19, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #731 of 3,321
  How does the AK Jr compare with the AK100 ii or AK120 in terms of sound quality ? Is it a step down ?

I attended the San Francisco Head-Fi meet today and demoed the AK Jr.

To my ears, the AK Jr sounded good but I think my AK 120 has better sound quality and it's more refined.
What I mean is that the AK 120 has more detail, separation, and a bigger sound stage.

Now, the AK Jr design is beautiful. Smaller than what I expected. As others have mentioned, the UI is a bit sluggish and not as fluid as the AK 240 for instance but a firmware upgrade should address this issue.

I have the ZX2 as well and to my ears, the ZX2 is more musical and more engaging. I think the ZX2 is in a different league to be honest.

Again, everything I stated above is based on my opinion and "Your Mileage May Vary."

Jul 19, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #732 of 3,321
I heard it yesterday and was very impressed. You are getting the full AK sound and I heard very little diff with the 120ii I also heard at the same time. I might upgrade to this from my sony in the near future.

Jul 19, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #733 of 3,321
Hope you guys don't mind me sharing some more pics =P

Jul 19, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #734 of 3,321
  how do you use the usb dac on this? I have it plugged in, installed and selected as the deafault player but i hear no sound either from the speakers, the device or the headphone jack. what am i doing wrong? its y first usb dac

Your not doing anything wrong. It just isnt compatible with all computers. What machine are you trying to use it with? I spent days trying different things with no luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back