Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Jul 14, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #692 of 3,321
Just thought I'd finally try using playlists on the Jr. Uh...no.

It's amazing how 1997 this thing is in regards to media management.

Use something like Media Go to transfer over playlists? Nope. Oh, it'll transfer over all the music in the playlist. But the playlist itself won't show up.

Exporting playlists to m3u, m3u8, xspf, or html and loading them? Nope.

But yeah, if you want to create a .pls on the Jr. itself, transfer it over to a computer and manually edit it with all the files you want—taking special care to note the location of the files as they reside on the Jr.—then transfer it back over, it will KINDA work. I just keep getting everything showing up grayed out, and unplayable.

Even if that weren't the case, the above solution is really untenable for anyone who routinely adds or removes songs from playlists. Is this really the solution iRiver expects users to employ?

Certainly a far cry from Smart Playlists in the Apple ecosystem.

Jul 14, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #694 of 3,321

Use something like Media Go to transfer over playlists? Nope. Oh, it'll transfer over all the music in the playlist. But the playlist itself won't show up.

But yeah, if you want to create a .pls on the Jr. itself, transfer it over to a computer and manually edit it with all the files you want—taking special care to note the location of the files as they reside on the Jr.—then transfer it back over, it will KINDA work. I just keep getting everything showing up grayed out, and unplayable.

Even if that weren't the case, the above solution is really untenable for anyone who routinely adds or removes songs from playlists. Is this really the solution iRiver expects users to employ?

Stick to iPods. You will never find anything on the same level in terms of UI.

Jul 14, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #695 of 3,321
It's a damn shame Apple doesn't make a competitive DAP that will play multiple formats. Now that would be something! Good looking, functional and a UI that works flawlesly!
Come on Apple, give A&K something to loose sleep over, make an uber DAP!

Jul 14, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #696 of 3,321
  Yes, but we bought it for the sound, didn't we?

True. But if the difficulty in getting that sound to come out of the player in the right order is too high, well...it negates a lot of its utility.

The quickest and "dirtiest" way that I can think to get around the issue is to simply open a playlist (in one's media player/organizer of choice), and copy all those tracks to a temp folder. Then transfer that folder over to the Jr. The UI does allow users to play by folder. So in this case, the folders would end up being the equivalent of a playlist.

At least, in theory. I have yet to try.

Jul 14, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #697 of 3,321

True. But if the difficulty in getting that sound to come out of the player in the right order is too high, well...it negates a lot of its utility.

The quickest and "dirtiest" way that I can think to get around the issue is to simply open a playlist (in one's media player/organizer of choice), and copy all those tracks to a temp folder. Then transfer that folder over to the Jr. The UI does allow users to play by folder. So in this case, the folders would end up being the equivalent of a playlist.

At least, in theory. I have yet to try.

You are, of course, right about the difficulty of use with this device. My comment was made "tongue in cheek" and therefore my follow-up comment about a competitive DAP from Apple. I like the sound of my Jr very much but the UI bugs for a device at this price point are inexcuseable and a damn shame. If it weren't for the great sound, I would have sent mine back within one week of ownership. Hopefully A&K will release firmware that addresses and resolves all the UI bugs.

Jul 14, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #698 of 3,321

I don't know if it works like the former AK100 and 120, but then it is a bit painful, but doable. Take your existing playlist in M3u format, change to pls, then edit the playlist with notepad as described here

Jul 15, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #702 of 3,321
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0815/Astell_Kern_AK_Jr_Portable_MQS_System_Review.htm

As someone who has both the Jr. and the ZX2, I have to agree with much of this.

It's amazing how close the Jr. gets, musically, to the ZX2. Yet, probably due to (well done) DSP trickery, the ZX2 just has a more...full-bodied, satisfying feeling in its musical presentation.

Jul 15, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #703 of 3,321
  http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0815/Astell_Kern_AK_Jr_Portable_MQS_System_Review.htm

As someone who has both the Jr. and the ZX2, I have to agree with much of this.

It's amazing how close the Jr. gets, musically, to the ZX2. Yet, probably due to (well done) DSP trickery, the ZX2 just has a more...full-bodied, satisfying feeling in its musical presentation.

A most humble thanks and 100% agree with your listening notes. The Sony's DSP trickery also does something to the phasing / soundscape that may not be as audibly obvious with CIEMs yet within my high-end tuned car audio system it is very apparent. The Sony is far more enveloping with the soundscape in the car.

Jul 15, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #704 of 3,321

A most humble thanks and 100% agree with your listening notes. The Sony's DSP trickery also does something to the phasing / soundscape that may not be as audibly obvious with CIEMs yet within my high-end tuned car audio system it is very apparent. The Sony is far more enveloping with the soundscape in the car.

I've always had difficulty articulating what I hear in a given DAP or set of headphones. I've been consistently impressed with your penchant for summarizing details in various audio gear. I often find myself involuntarily pointing at certain sentences and uttering aloud, 'Yes, that's exactly what I'm hearing!'
etysmile.gif

In any event, I'd like to stress a few key items from your review which I think are especially true.

"Astell&Kern's Jr is neutral to a small teeny tiny touch of warmth."

I had always heard that AK players tended to be warm. As I'm currently using Sennheiser IE800's, which are on the bright side, I was looking forward to hearing what they would sound like when paired with a warmer DAP. So I was surprised at how...not warm it was. In fact, I'd say it's nearly as capable as the ZX2 at reproducing all the necessary details at the high end.

"For you bassheads, there is a good amount of drive and power behind the deepest of bass notes. It is not bedrock solid like the AK380, and not augmented like the Sony NW-ZX2 when you use the Clear Bass equalizer setting, yet you get resolution and cleanliness over low frequency pyrotechnics."

This is a big one. I really think you're spot on with the description of it's bass reproduction. It's not as deep or as impactful as the ZX2 (either because of the DSP or because of those supercapacitors, or maybe a little bit of both), but yet very accurate.

"Also, while the soundstage is very good on the AK Jr, the Sony is doing something to really bring out this sumptuously enveloping soundscape."

This is incredibly true. The Jr. is no slouch. But I think this, combined with that fuller, more robust bass presentation on the ZX2 are what set it apart from the Jr.

Of course, this isn't about how the ZX2 is so much better than the Jr. Instead, I think this is what people need to keep in mind when considering buying the Jr.:

"When combined with the very fast and clean amplification section within the Astell&Kern AK Jr, I feel you are getting around 90% or more of those top players for about one-fourth the price. Almost want to say 95%..."

You're paying less than half the price of the ZX2, and probably getting somewhere between 90-95% of its sonic capabilities.

Personally, I knew the Jr. wasn't going to best the ZX2. Instead, I wanted a secondary DAP that was as small as possible, while still retaining a goodly amount of the audio quality of other high-end DAPs. I really think the Jr. fits that bill nicely. Now, if only one could easily add playlists...
confused_face(1).gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back