Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Jun 13, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #481 of 3,321
Does the Jr have optical out? I can't seem to find the answer online.

Jun 13, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #483 of 3,321
  I have seen a post stating that phone manufacturers wanted to get SDcard off their products the way Apple do. Not to make more money on memory but because faulty SDcards where a very common performance issue. Performance issues that people attribute to the device, not the card.
Keeping this in mind, is your Jr as laggy if you take the card off? I Don't know if it can help but it could be a lead. 

Phil, I am only using the internal memory of the Jr. Due to the cooperation and kindness of Jpbas1 sending me the user manual via e-mail I was able to read that AK recommend using the SUPPLIED usb cable to download to the player. I did this and reloaded the UI and it seems to be operating a lot better! Go figure! A total mystery to me, I never thought a usb cable would make a difference but it appears to have solved most of the problems!!??  If someone had told me this would happen, I would have said they were delusional and on drugs! Well, live and learn. So, my fellow head fiers, use the supplied cable and reload the UI software if you are experiencing problems and perhaps this might help, as it did for me. Cheers.  

Jun 13, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #484 of 3,321

Nope.  Just a regular old analog out.  Which is one of the reasons I'm probably returning mine.

Sad, it would have been great as a digital out device at a whim.

Thanks for your answer.

Jun 14, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #485 of 3,321
Guys, instead of manually editing everything in notepad or whatever, just do the editing in Excel and export it back as txt and rename the extension.

Jun 14, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #486 of 3,321
Also, you can export all the paths from you music drive in the command prompt with dir/s > export.txt , then open in Excel and delimited your data.

Jun 14, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #487 of 3,321
Also, you can export all the paths from you music drive in the command prompt with dir/s > export.txt , then open in Excel and delimited your data.

Excel being a Microsoft product it might export files in Windows format, you might be right. Smart workaround for Mac users.

Colaterals in Apple vs Microsoft war, I think.

Jun 14, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #488 of 3,321
The war is already over: NuxTel vs. WinTel, so Intel wins.

Jun 16, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #492 of 3,321
I am very surprised by the performance of little JR.  Pair it with the Sony XBA-Z5 and forget about lugging around external DAC/amp + DAP.  IMHO, the two models to own are JR + AK380.  Can't wait to get my paws on AK380!

Jun 16, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #493 of 3,321
  I am very surprised by the performance of little JR.  Pair it with the Sony XBA-Z5 and forget about lugging around external DAC/amp + DAP.  IMHO, the two models to own are JR + AK380.  Can't wait to get my paws on AK380!

You're loving it then?

Could you confirm whether it does in fact support APT-X?

Wonder if anyone has had a chance to compare with the AK100 II. I'm tossing up between these two atm.

Jun 16, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #494 of 3,321
Is anyone using the Jr with an external amp? If so, which one?
I have tried my RSA P-51 Mustang, my SLSL SAP-4s and my Cayin C5 and find the C5 to have the best synergy so far. Toying with the idea of getting an Aune B1 to try with it as well.
Cheers from Oz.

Jun 16, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #495 of 3,321
  Is anyone using the Jr with an external amp? If so, which one?
I have tried my RSA P-51 Mustang, my SLSL SAP-4s and my Cayin C5 and find the C5 to have the best synergy so far. Toying with the idea of getting an Aune B1 to try with it as well.
Cheers from Oz.

+1 this would be interesting I have a JDS Labs C5 that I enjoy and wonder if perhaps this would be another great pairing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back