Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Jun 16, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #496 of 3,321
  +1 this would be interesting I have a JDS Labs C5 that I enjoy and wonder if perhaps this would be another great pairing.

I've used the AK Jr with my C5D and w/ the HA-2 and it sounds fantastic with both.  Not having a digital line out is kind of annoying overall which is kind of why I'm just toying with the idea of returning the AK Jr but the portability is key and it's significantly smaller and thinner than my X3II which I'm comparing it to.  I just can't decide which one I like better.  Ugh.

Jun 16, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #498 of 3,321
I found a seller willing to sell an AK120II for very cheap (approximately $650 off MSRP) in a like new condition.  Deciding whether or not I want to get this or the AK120II.  I would have no use for the wifi or the balanced out (but maybe could use it in the future) so I am wondering if its even worth it to go for the 120II?

Quote:

I've used the AK Jr with my C5D and w/ the HA-2 and it sounds fantastic with both.  Not having a digital line out is kind of annoying overall which is kind of why I'm just toying with the idea of returning the AK Jr but the portability is key and it's significantly smaller and thinner than my X3II which I'm comparing it to.  I just can't decide which one I like better.  Ugh.

Have you considered just keeping both for now?  Since both are relatively new models, you can always sell them later taking a slight loss.

Jun 16, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #499 of 3,321
  Have you considered just keeping both for now?  Since both are relatively new models, you can always sell them later taking a slight loss.

Yeah, of course, however, I don't use a standalone DAP nearly as much as I do streaming media, so having two is overkill.  Hell, having one might even be, so I'd like to stick to one really.  :)  

Jun 16, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #501 of 3,321
I've had one for about a 2wks now. So here's my impression(I have quite a lot of experience with DAPs, including AK240, DX90, DX50, X3, and ZX1). IMO, it's an upgrade over the AK100(which I used to have, RWAK100, actually) It's definitely a good move for AK to improve it's product line and lower the price. Is it worth the full price in terms of SQ? No. It's in between DX50 and DX90, or X3 and X5. TBH, but costs more than all of them. Though does it sound good? **** yeah. It has a fairly typical AK tuning(slightly warm), low noise(X3 and DX50 has some issues with noise), and decent power, especially for a device this size. However, the firmware is still bit laggy, and battery life isn't terribly attractive. I honestly bought it because I couldn't handle carrying a brick with me, and didn't have money to buy the ZX2.

Jun 16, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #503 of 3,321
  For which kind of headphone, IEM do you need more power than Jr can deliver?

The Jr can certainly drive all of my headphones, even HE-560 cranked up near max vol.  I do find that most of mine do however benefit from the HA-2 pairing with increased clarity/fuller sound (fairly new at this so pardon the novice description), including Rockets, PM-3's and the HE-560's.  I do have a few other IEMs that the Jr does great with on its own, custom Supra and Dunu 2000.

Jun 17, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #504 of 3,321
I had some "bonus bucks" on one of my credit cards and decided what the heck: I may as well use them and grab a Jr. I've always been intrigued by what AK offered, but their prices have kept me away. So a (heavily discounted) Jr. seemed like a good way to sample their wares.

Right now, my frame of reference is a Sony ZX2 + Sennheiser IE800 setup.

I've only listened to a handful of tracks so far with the Jr + IE800 (and no EQing). But honestly? My gut reaction is that it's not too far off the ZX2. I was expecting it to be substantially different, sonically. But so far I haven't found myself going, "Oh. Oh, this is totally outclassed".

It's been a couple months since I last listened to my old Sony ZX1, but I'd probably slot the Jr. directly between the ZX1 and ZX2. Although, again: this is gut reaction after a handful of tracks.

The size difference is substantial. Compared to the ZX2, the Jr. actually reminds me of an iPod Nano.

Jun 18, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #508 of 3,321
  You're loving it then?

Could you confirm whether it does in fact support APT-X?

Wonder if anyone has had a chance to compare with the AK100 II. I'm tossing up between these two atm.

I have zero interest in streaming BT with JR.   Sound from it sound so good, I would be wasting money to use it as a BT streaming player.  

Anyone has a jr with a problem when you adjust the volume? it suddenly boosts to near max volume. It's so annoying and hurting my ears.

not seen that on my unit.

Jun 18, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #509 of 3,321
Hello everyone,

I've got my JR ytd. The sound is awesome compare to my cowon J3. Despite the less variety in terms of the EQ, the touch screen of JR does not feel so well either. Is that becasue of the screen protector? (I am now using the one that included in the original box) Or is it just how JR is?

Jun 18, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #510 of 3,321
Hello everyone,

I've got my JR ytd. The sound is awesome compare to my cowon J3. Despite the less variety in terms of the EQ, the touch screen of JR does not feel so well either. Is that becasue of the screen protector? (I am now using the one that included in the original box) Or is it just how JR is?

I'm not even using a protector on mine and it's just a bad touchscreen when compared to other devices, especially phones.  Missed touches, inaccurate touches and just overall slowness.  I've almost had enough of mine.  I find myself using my X3II more often just because it's faster.  Sounds are fairly comparable too, and 300 bucks cheaper.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back