Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Jun 12, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #466 of 3,321
I was having significant issues with the unit recognizing my SD card.  Come to find out that there was a corrupt file loaded onto the internal memory. Was taking too long to discover what it was (sifting through 64g of music is hard) so I re-formatted the internal drive and reloaded about half of what I had there and slowly began to rebuild my files. I was doing it slowly as to rescan after say 50 or so files were loaded to see if I could find the culprit. The unit appears to work more swiftly now and I now can see all the files (internally and on the card) without issues. I think this operating system is a lot less forgiving on what files are used. I am not sure what was corrupted but I do not have any issues with Fiio or Apple units behaving this way with the same files (except for FLAC on the Apple). My 100ii was also experiencing the same problems until I re-formatted that as well. Now I have both AK units performing well.

Jun 12, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #467 of 3,321
I posted to A&K's Facebook about playlists and got this reply from them:

"As of right now, you can only add tracks to the playlist using the AK Jr's interface. You cannot externally edit the playlist and reload to the player."

I'm not about to re-create multiple playlists with hundreds of tracks using that UI. . . Really poor first impression of Astell & Kern for me, looks like the Jr is going back.

Jun 12, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #468 of 3,321
  I posted to A&K's Facebook about playlists and got this reply from them:

"As of right now, you can only add tracks to the playlist using the AK Jr's interface. You cannot externally edit the playlist and reload to the player."

I'm not about to re-create multiple playlists with hundreds of tracks using that UI. . . Really poor first impression of Astell & Kern for me, looks like the Jr is going back.

I honestly don't know what to tell you. It works fine for me. I even added songs from both the internal memory and SD card and they all work fine on my Jr. Nothing greyed out.

Jun 12, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #470 of 3,321

Thanks for trying to help out :) Wish I knew what was going on, it's really bizarre!

Well, I made a quick video of me editing a playlist on my computer. Maybe you'll see something that you're doing wrong, I'm not sure. But hopefully it helps you figure it out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xia7Hq14XiU

Jun 12, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #472 of 3,321

Thanks! Yes, that's exactly what I am doing but just using a mac. I will try it in a Windows VM and see if that makes any difference.

I just tried on my Mac and wasn't really successful this time. I created the playlist and added two songs from my player (one from internal, one from SD) then opened the playlist on my Mac and added another two songs (again, 1 from internal, one from SD) and one of the songs (the 3rd song) was greyed out. Strange thing was that it showed the greyed out song as ____.mp instead of ____.mp3. So I thought I just mistyped it but nope, it showed .mp3 when I opened the playlist on my Mac. 

Then I opened the playlist on my Windows computer and noticed something weird. When clicking on the playlist (not opening it) the preview showed the playlist looking like normal.

/___/___/____.mp3
/___/___/_____.mp3
/___/___/___.mp3
/___/___/________.mp3

But when I opened it, it looked like this:

/___/___/____.mp3
/___/___/_____.mp3
/___/___/___.mp3/___/___/________.mp3

So the two songs I added from my Mac appeared to be on the same line. So I put the 4th song on the 4th line (like how the preview is), but after saving, the preview showed this:

/___/___/____.mp3
/___/___/_____.mp3
/___/___/___.mp3

/___/___/________.mp3

And when opening it on the Jr, the 4th song was greyed out. So I opened the playlist on my Windows computer, deleted the last 2 songs and retyped them (again, from Windows) and then it worked fine on the Jr. My Mac definitely did something weird to the playlist.

----------------------------------------------------

Update: I decided to try another text editing program on my Mac (TextWrangler) and it seems to edit my playlists fine now.

Jun 12, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #473 of 3,321
  I just tried on my Mac and wasn't really successful this time. I created the playlist and added two songs from my player (one from internal, one from SD) then opened the playlist on my Mac and added another two songs (again, 1 from internal, one from SD) and one of the songs (the 3rd song) was greyed out. Strange thing was that it showed the greyed out song as ____.mp instead of ____.mp3. So I thought I just mistyped it but nope, it showed .mp3 when I opened the playlist on my Mac. 

Then I opened the playlist on my Windows computer and noticed something weird. When clicking on the playlist (not opening it) the preview showed the playlist looking like normal.

/___/___/____.mp3
/___/___/_____.mp3
/___/___/___.mp3
/___/___/________.mp3

/___/___/____.mp3
/___/___/_____.mp3

So the two songs I added from my Mac appeared to be on the same line. So I put the 4th song on the 4th line (like how the preview is), but after saving, the preview showed this:

/___/___/____.mp3
/___/___/_____.mp3
/___/___/___.mp3

/___/___/________.mp3

And when opening it on the Jr, the 4th song was greyed out. So I opened the playlist on my Windows computer, deleted the last 2 songs and retyped them (again, from Windows) and then it worked fine on the Jr. My Mac definitely did something weird to the playlist.

Update: I decided to try another text editing program on my Mac (TextWrangler) and it seems to edit my playlists fine now.

Don't ya just love software!!

Jun 12, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #474 of 3,321

I'm subscribed to this thread as I have interest in this product obviously but these kind of problems worry me. None of my Sony DAPs have this problem with copying files using my Mac. I can use the Sony-supplied Content Transfer app or I just drag-and-drop using the Mac's Finder.

Jun 12, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #475 of 3,321

Indeed :p

I'm subscribed to this thread as I have interest in this product obviously but these kind of problems worry me. None of my Sony DAPs have this problem with copying files using my Mac. I can use the Sony-supplied Content Transfer app or I just drag-and-drop using the Mac's Finder.

I'm not sure if you're referring to an issue someone had a while ago that I can't seem to remember, but if you're referring to the issue I've been discussing with @obbiie, then you're misunderstanding the issue :p The issue isn't about copying files to the player (that works fine on both Mac and Windows), it's about editing playlists. 

Jun 13, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #476 of 3,321

/___/___/____.mp3
/___/___/_____.mp3
/___/___/___.mp3
/___/___/________.mp3

/___/___/____.mp3
/___/___/_____.mp3

/___/___/____.mp3
/___/___/_____.mp3
/___/___/___.mp3

/___/___/________.mp3

Thanks so much for this! Text wrangler worked fine, no more greyed out tracks :)

Jun 13, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #477 of 3,321
It looks like 'new line' are not set the same on both OS.
Editor like ultraedit or notepad++ should show you that as soon as you check the option to show special characters, carriage return and line feed actually.
They can also be set to edit files in Unix or Windows mode.

@clee290 share your file with us and we will have a look into it. Perhaps more than one pair of eyes ...

Jun 13, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #478 of 3,321

Thanks so much for this! Text wrangler worked fine, no more greyed out tracks :)

No problem! Glad to help :)

It looks like 'new line' are not set the same on both OS.
Editor like ultraedit or notepad++ should show you that as soon as you check the option to show special characters, carriage return and line feed actually.
They can also be set to edit files in Unix or Windows mode.

@clee290 share your file with us and we will have a look into it. Perhaps more than one pair of eyes ...

Sure, here it is:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/3x01acu6b3chwha/Playlist+1.zip

And here is a screenshot of the same playlist opened in both TextEdit and TextWrangler:

Jun 13, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #479 of 3,321
OK. If you look at this file with Notepad++ and enable view of special characters you will see that the 2 first lines finish with 2 special caracters (CR+LF meaning Carriage Return + Line Feed) while 3rd line finish only with LF. Windows way vs Unix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back