Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
May 27, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #286 of 3,321

Actually, after looking at the numbers:

X1: 2-inch @ 320x240 - 200ppi
Jr: 3.1-inch @ 240x400 - ~150ppi

So the X1 does have a higher pixel density.

They also use different screen technologies - X1 is TFT, Jr is WQVGA - though I'm not sure which is considered better. 

maybe somebody can explain it

WQVGA is not a type but the resolution of the screen (400x240), and the Jr. uses an IPS panel, which is much better than any TFT screen.  With screens this small, DPI is almost moot, and size and screen quality is much more important.

May 27, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #288 of 3,321
Originally Posted by Photoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So in your opinion. Is the SQ better than the X1?

There is no way it's $400 better from a pure SQ standpoint.  No chance.  However, the complete package makes it a little easier to stomach.  The interface, the build quality, and the slight bump in SQ make it more of a debate.  I'm still not sure I'm keeping the AKJR at this point, because that disparity is so big compared to the X1...the design and build quality certainly can sway me though because I definitely do appreciate a nice design. :)

May 27, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #289 of 3,321
There is no way it's $400 better from a pure SQ standpoint.  No chance.  However, the complete package makes it a little easier to stomach.  The interface, the build quality, and the slight bump in SQ make it more of a debate.  I'm still not sure I'm keeping the AKJR at this point, because that disparity is so big compared to the X1...the design and build quality certainly can sway me though because I definitely do appreciate a nice design. :)
that scroll wheel is something else for, 9000 +. That's why I may like the touch screen

May 27, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #290 of 3,321

I completely disagree but whatever.  I'm not web browsing or taking pictures so it isn't THAT big of a deal, but give me a higher dpi any day of the week.  I detest jaggies.  :)

I understand where you came from, but the issue isn't that sample.  In order for texts to look good, the software has to able to scale the fonts and handle anti-aliasing correctly for a given resolution, and this is why old games and textures look so bad on modern HD screens with much higher resolutions and DPI.  Take the AK100/120 and the DX90 for example, for people who has seen or own both, you can tell immediately that the fonts from the DX90 looked really jaggy compare to the AK100/120, even when both have the exactly same size and resolution (and hence same DPI).  The reason being that when iBasso design the DX90, they didn't really pay attention this relation and went with a smaller font size that doesn't really match the screen.  When you look at the AK100/120, the fonts are generally bigger and have some kind of anti-aliasing on them, thus making them look smoother.  Also, an IPS panel has much better viewing angle and coloration than TFT, making it better for portable devices (AMOLED is even better.)

May 27, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #291 of 3,321
  I understand where you came from, but the issue isn't that sample.  In order for texts to look good, the software has to able to scale the fonts and handle anti-aliasing correctly for a given resolution, and this is why old games and textures look so bad on modern HD screens with much higher resolutions and DPI.  Take the AK100/120 and the DX90 for example, for people who has seen or own both, you can tell immediately that the fonts from the DX90 looked really jaggy compare to the AK100/120, even when both have the exactly same size and resolution (and hence same DPI).  The reason being that when iBasso design the DX90, they didn't really pay attention this relation and went with a smaller font size that doesn't really match the screen.  When you look at the AK100/120, the fonts are generally bigger and have some kind of anti-aliasing on them, thus making them look smoother.  Also, an IPS panel has much better viewing angle and coloration than TFT, making it better for portable devices (AMOLED is even better.)

All valid points about fonts and text, however, look at some album art on a higher res screen.  DPI actually matters in that regard.  

May 27, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #292 of 3,321

All valid points about fonts and text, however, look at some album art on a higher res screen.  DPI actually matters in that regard.  

Yes, and this is why it is not that clear cut.  However, for me a text based interface should give font processing a higher priority.  Also note that you can get around some of the DPI issue on album arts by over-sampling, meaning that you use some much higher resolution arts (e.g., 1000x1000) on the small screen for brute forced anti-aliasing.  However, this can back fire on some devices/software so it is not 100%.

May 27, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #293 of 3,321
4:17pm: battery retest begin.
7:00pm: battery half way down.
8:06pm: battery finally died and unit auto shutdown.

Total run time in WORSE case scenario: 3 hours 49 minutes.

May 27, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #294 of 3,321
FYI: the AK Jr. fits perfectly into the Pelican i1015 case.

http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail/Case/i1015/

May 27, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #296 of 3,321
Nice cases. If I get the ak junior, I'm getting one of these ak cases to go with....

May 27, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #297 of 3,321
I do like the cases, will have to look into those...

May 28, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #300 of 3,321
  Well - I listened to the 380 in Munich ...

A player that surprised me soundwise was the AK Junior - I must say this DAP sounded very very good for its price position inside AK - I was not able to hear differences between the AK100 II and the Junior- but of course in difficult listening  conditions.

Hi @AlterSack

I (and a few following that thread) would be interessed in you confirming (or not) your 1st impression concerning AK Junior. Doesn't it look too good? AK wouldn't take the risk to cainnbalize upper model.
Thanks for sharing Munich show, anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back