Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
May 28, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #301 of 3,321
  I understand where you came from, but the issue isn't that sample.  In order for texts to look good, the software has to able to scale the fonts and handle anti-aliasing correctly for a given resolution, and this is why old games and textures look so bad on modern HD screens with much higher resolutions and DPI.  Take the AK100/120 and the DX90 for example, for people who has seen or own both, you can tell immediately that the fonts from the DX90 looked really jaggy compare to the AK100/120, even when both have the exactly same size and resolution (and hence same DPI).  The reason being that when iBasso design the DX90, they didn't really pay attention this relation and went with a smaller font size that doesn't really match the screen.  When you look at the AK100/120, the fonts are generally bigger and have some kind of anti-aliasing on them, thus making them look smoother.  Also, an IPS panel has much better viewing angle and coloration than TFT, making it better for portable devices (AMOLED is even better.)

Any font that is TrueType or something similar (i.e. not defined as a bitmap) should be able to scale similarly in size. Separate from this is the anti-aliasing of a font, which iBasso may have forgotten to implement, or purposefully left disabled in their firmware.

An IPS panel has a good viewing angle, though I don't see this as a big thing for a DAP, since I typically will not be looking at the screen that much. Note that an AMOLED is also a type of TFT screen. You're probably thinking of an LCD screen when mentioning TFT. Oops, an IPS panel is also a type of TFT LCD screen. The most important part for a portable device screen for me would be the viewability in sunlight, though.

4:17pm: battery retest begin.
7:00pm: battery half way down.
8:06pm: battery finally died and unit auto shutdown.

Total run time in WORSE case scenario: 3 hours 49 minutes.

Ouch. Worst case scenario or not, that is painfully short.

May 28, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #303 of 3,321
  Any font that is TrueType or something similar (i.e. not defined as a bitmap) should be able to scale similarly in size. Separate from this is the anti-aliasing of a font, which iBasso may have forgotten to implement, or purposefully left disabled in their firmware.

An IPS panel has a good viewing angle, though I don't see this as a big thing for a DAP, since I typically will not be looking at the screen that much. Note that an AMOLED is also a type of TFT screen. You're probably thinking of an LCD screen when mentioning TFT. Oops, an IPS panel is also a type of TFT LCD screen. The most important part for a portable device screen for me would be the viewability in sunlight, though.

Ouch. Worst case scenario or not, that is painfully short.

Sorry I meant TN Panel and not TFT, and IPS and AMOLED generally hold up much better than TN under the sun.  Remember, this worse case is REALLY the worse you can do to the AK Jr., as I ran it maxed out on all settings non-stop with DSD64 files, which maxed out the CPU with the DSD to PCM conversion.

what files were they?

DSD64 with gapless playback in loop.  No screen off, sleep, max volume and screen brightness, and no one in the right mind will run their AK Jr. in such conditions, unless they want to go deaf and blind in minutes.  I will be rerunning the test with another much more realistic scenario.

May 28, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #304 of 3,321
  Fair enough, and I do think AK/iriver positions the Jr. well in the line up to attract new comers.  Correct me if I am wrong, but I think most DAP companies have moved away from warmer DACs like Burr-Brown and Wolfson in favor of brighter ones like ESS, Cirrus Logic, or even the new AKM, and It is comforting to know that good quality warm sounding DAP still has a place in the market.

It's almost like some things can become too airy at the expense of boogie factor at times. I think the JR is has a nice neutral presentation that is informative yet non confrontational. Not as much color as the older units. I don't see how anyone could dislike the sound or character.

May 28, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #305 of 3,321
  Sorry I meant TN Panel and not TFT, and IPS and AMOLED generally hold up much better than TN under the sun.  Remember, this worse case is REALLY the worse you can do to the AK Jr., as I ran it maxed out on all settings non-stop with DSD64 files, which maxed out the CPU with the DSD to PCM conversion.

DSD64 with gapless playback in loop.  No screen off, sleep, max volume and screen brightness, and no one in the right mind will run their AK Jr. in such conditions, unless they want to go deaf and blind in minutes.  I will be rerunning the test with another much more realistic scenario.

eek.gif

basshead.gif

angry_face.gif
 Last one is for temp. Did it get warm using up all those calories? 

May 28, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #306 of 3,321
It's almost like some things can become too airy at the expense of boogie factor at times. I think the JR is has a nice neutral presentation that is informative yet non confrontational. Not as much color as the older units. I don't see how anyone could dislike the sound or character.

Would you say it has more impact and sound warmer compared to the latest AK models?

May 28, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #307 of 3,321

Then I understand your point; TN panels are generally pretty poor on viewing angles. Though I thought the discussion started about the differences between the X1 and the Jr screens (where FiiO says for the X1 that it's a TFT screen, but nothing else). And I'm pretty sure the X1 also has an IPS type screen.

Screen on all the time is indeed pretty unrealistic. Do you have an idea of how long it takes to drain the battery with a more normal use?

May 28, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #308 of 3,321
Would you say it has more impact and sound warmer compared to the latest AK models?

I'm less familiar with the new models but the ak240 is plenty warm. To me, the 120ii or 100ii are less warm but they're also not cold. I think it's a matter of personal perspective. JR just sounded nicely balanced when I heard it. I didn't think it especially warm either. I didn't think it reached in quite as far or seemed as transparent as the top models but you don't really notice it in use as it's very well voiced. If I had to buy a current, new retail DAP at $500, it would likely be this for a few reasons. Sound, size, UI and I like their buttons / wheel V control. For my preferences, Q-style is the only thing I see competing in the horizon but we still don't have a final UI for it and it's a bit greater in price and size.

May 28, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #309 of 3,321
  I'm less familiar with the new models but the ak240 is plenty warm. To me, the 120ii or 100ii are less warm but they're also not cold. I think it's a matter of personal perspective. JR just sounded nicely balanced when I heard it. I didn't think it especially warm either. I didn't think it reached in quite as far or seemed as transparent as the top models but you don't really notice it in use as it's very well voiced. If I had to buy a current, new retail DAP at $500, it would likely be this for a few reasons. Sound, size, UI and I like their buttons / wheel V control. For my preferences, Q-style is the only thing I see competing in the horizon but we still don't have a final UI for it and it's a bit greater in price and size.

Thanks for the info.  I kind of agree that the AK100II isn't warm but neither is it cold.  I am OK with the slight loss in transparency for the better volume wheel (I always felt that the wheel while feeling solid was still too flimsy for day to day commutes) but was hoping for something with slightly more low end.  Seems like the Junior fills a good gap in the AK lineup even if it doesn't meet my own needs completely.

May 28, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #310 of 3,321
:eek:  :basshead:  :angry_face:  Last one is for temp. Did it get warm using up all those calories? 

It stayed pretty cool to me, but again I have a glass table.

Then I understand your point; TN panels are generally pretty poor on viewing angles. Though I thought the discussion started about the differences between the X1 and the Jr screens (where FiiO says for the X1 that it's a TFT screen, but nothing else). And I'm pretty sure the X1 also has an IPS type screen.

Screen on all the time is indeed pretty unrealistic. Do you have an idea of how long it takes to drain the battery with a more normal use?

I think the X1 is TN but I could be wrong, and I am expecting around 8 hrs under normal use, but I am going to test this for sure.

May 28, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #311 of 3,321

Thanks for the info.  I kind of agree that the AK100II isn't warm but neither is it cold.  I am OK with the slight loss in transparency for the better volume wheel (I always felt that the wheel while feeling solid was still too flimsy for day to day commutes) but was hoping for something with slightly more low end.  Seems like the Junior fills a good gap in the AK lineup even if it doesn't meet my own needs completely.

The earlier ak100 MK2 has a warm sig with it's final FW..

May 28, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #312 of 3,321
  4:17pm: battery retest begin.
7:00pm: battery half way down.
8:06pm: battery finally died and unit auto shutdown.

Total run time in WORSE case scenario: 3 hours 49 minutes.

Thanks DrSheep. This is good information. I will be curious to find out, during your everyday usage (please, no need to do any further testing), what your typical battery life winds up being.  Thanks again!

May 28, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #313 of 3,321
 Thanks DrSheep. This is good information. I will be curious to find out, during your everyday usage (please, no need to do any further testing), what your typical battery life winds up being.  Thanks again!

I really wish I can answer this question, but my daily schedule almost never let me have time to listen to music for over 3 hours, so I never totally run down my DAPs battery.  Also, as a researcher, I don't like to guess if I can test it for real, so I am going to run the realistic case tonight (50% brightness, 35 volume, 1 min screen off and such with a mix of 16/44 to 24/192 FLAC in gapless.)

May 28, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #314 of 3,321
I really wish I can answer this question, but my daily schedule almost never let me have time to listen to music for over 3 hours, so I never totally run down my DAPs battery.  Also, as a researcher, I don't like to guess if I can test it for real, so I am going to run the realistic case tonight (50% brightness, 35 volume, 1 min screen off and such with a mix of 16/44 to 24/192 FLAC in gapless.)
I wonder the battery usage on regularly files

May 28, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #315 of 3,321
I think the X1 is TN but I could be wrong, and I am expecting around 8 hrs under normal use, but I am going to test this for sure.

I read somewhere that the X1 had a similar screen to the X3, and given the viewing angles I get on my X3, I'm pretty sure that's a IPS panel of sorts.

Scientific testing is fine, but I remember one time that I took out my Sansa Fuze only to discover it was already on. Since the keys were locked, I figured it had been on since the previous day and after checking times realised that it had been on for somewhere in the neighbourhood of 32 hours. Except in normal use I have never gotten much more than 20 hours out of the Fuze, so I figure that not using the controls played a big part in how long the battery lasted.

So leaving it off all the time in a test is best case, but leaving it on all the time is also kind of an unrealistic worst case. But I realize that using it as you would normally for 8 hours or so is not very easy to test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back