Astell&Kern beyerdynamic AK T8iE Review (First Impressions from IFA 2015)
Jul 14, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #721 of 1,190
Thankyou...I just want to give a bit of background to my return to these IEM's...

I originally had the MK1 but the finish was a bit questionable, coupled with all the issues everyone was having i returned them. However i will say the fit was sublime...so comfortable. The sound was spherical and just like a cold drink on a hot day...Completely quenching.

I then bought the IE800...Great IEM...Razor sharp and precise...However the cable and fit were terrible. Kept on falling out.

I then bought the AKG 3003i...Absolutely over rated and awful...The fit was a nightmare, literally no seal...and the sound was all over the place. No cohesion to it...Tried many tips but no joy. I then remembered the fit and the sound of the original MK1's and longed for something like this. With the release of the MKII's i think its a no brainer...

Jul 14, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #722 of 1,190
I just can't fathom what is AKG thinking while making some of their products lately.

Jul 14, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #723 of 1,190
  I just can't fathom what is AKG thinking while making some of their products lately.

Who knows, but its not good...
I see you have the IE800, EX1000, and AKT8ie...whats your opinion which is the nicest out of these three?
I was interested in the EX1000 but heard the fit was pretty bad...

Jul 14, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #724 of 1,190

Who knows, but its not good...
I see you have the IE800, EX1000, and AKT8ie...whats your opinion which is the nicest out of these three?
I was interested in the EX1000 but heard the fit was pretty bad...

IE800 and T8ie is like 2 sides of the same coin in my opinion, they complement each other. I haven't used EX1000 for a long time but the fit depends on your ear tips, I do feel it's a step down from IE800 though.

Jul 14, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #725 of 1,190
Got my T8iE Mk2 for 3 days. It has same sound signature of T8iE, with a bit sound refinement especially playing Pop and R&B.

Very good, please share more about the difference between mk1 and mk2

Jul 15, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #726 of 1,190
  Thankyou...I just want to give a bit of background to my return to these IEM's...

I originally had the MK1 but the finish was a bit questionable, coupled with all the issues everyone was having i returned them. However i will say the fit was sublime...so comfortable. The sound was spherical and just like a cold drink on a hot day...Completely quenching.

I then bought the IE800...Great IEM...Razor sharp and precise...However the cable and fit were terrible. Kept on falling out.

I then bought the AKG 3003i...Absolutely over rated and awful...The fit was a nightmare, literally no seal...and the sound was all over the place. No cohesion to it...Tried many tips but no joy. I then remembered the fit and the sound of the original MK1's and longed for something like this. With the release of the MKII's i think its a no brainer...

It is unfair to call the K3003 over-rated and awful when you cannot have a good fit with it, obviously sound will be all over the place if you fail to seat it properly in your ears. I happen to purchase the K3003 recently as well and thankfully if fits my ear comfortably, much better than the IE800 and K10u I have at the moment, and I think it has one of the best sound I have heard in my journey so far. 

That said, I am also looking forward to user feedback on the new T8IE's durability as well. Was about to buy the MK1 myself but when the majority of this thread is talking about sound cuts and RMAs rather than sound quality I decided to skip it. Hope the MKII will be much better. 
etysmile.gif

Jul 15, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #727 of 1,190

It is unfair to call the K3003 over-rated and awful when you cannot have a good fit with it, obviously sound will be all over the place if you fail to seat it properly in your ears. I happen to purchase the K3003 recently as well and thankfully if fits my ear comfortably, much better than the IE800 and K10u I have at the moment, and I think it has one of the best sound I have heard in my journey so far.

I have to agree, getting proper seal with IEMs is not an option, and in the end it highly depends on ear canal shape, so it is a given that not everyone will achieve the same result.
I won't around go bashing IE800 precisely because none of the provided tips could let me achieve proper seal when I tried them. And since they went for proprietary tips, I quickly gave up.

I got better seal with K3003 but found too quiet/boring for my taste, but I can understand why some people would like them.

Jul 15, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #729 of 1,190
So it's speedier? more exciting? I found the sound signature to be on the warmer side, I do prefer a brighter IEM but the comfort is just unmatched by anything out there imo. The most important thing right now is the reliability, nothing else beats that.

Jul 15, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #730 of 1,190
My point with the Mk II advertising is the same for advertising and even for reading annual reports from corporations that wish to increase their stock value:   look at the priority. 

Companies struggle with the 'outright lie' and will often put first what is the highest priority.   There are exceptions, but this is more the bizarre.  Audioquest "open letter" is an example.  

But this letter was not an "open statement" but a reaction, or answer to an allegation. 

When AK put out its ad, it did not use strong language to commit to "new" technology.  It began with the cable/connector, which is where a tangible problem has been found.   Order = priority.  Here in the states, we had a chain of stores called "Play it Again Sports:  Used and New" where we, hockey parents, spent $ on expensive hockey equipment.  Each store had more "used" than "new" for sale.  Note the order:  "used and new", with "used" coming first.  

Look at the order of AK's ad first, and then look at the actual wording:

The AK T8iE MkⅡ succeeds and improves on the AK T8iE, the world’s first Tesla in-ear headphone, collaboratively developed by Astell&Kern and beyerdynamic. The 2nd generation promises truly outstanding sound and exceptional build quality.The MkⅡ includes:

1. high-grade silver-plated fiber cables with coaxial construction (an upgrade from copper cables)
  2. introduces a new voice-coil, drawing on all of the audio excellence beyerdynamic has pioneered since 1924
  3. allows users to experience an extremely wide frequency range, with crisp bass, well-balanced mids and crystal-clear highs.
  4. hand-made by highly skilled engineers in Germany
  5. combines Astell&Kern's philosophy of "providing the original sound" with the expertise of beyerdynamic and sets a new benchmark.

1.  "succeeds and improves" with the word "succeed" coming first.  This only addresses the chronological order!

If you had a "new" and dramatic improvement, you would list it first and highlight it!  Next, look at the language of the "new" technology:

2.  First, "high grade silver plated fiber cables with coaxial construction (an upgrade from copper cables)" is first.  This is a true upgrade and it is listed plainly. 

3.  Then, it does not so much "have a new voice coil" but "introduces" the new voice cable.  What "date" is given for this "new voice cable"?  Is this breaking technology?  The ONLY date in the ad is 1924.  This is to ​avoid committing to a date of the technology.

This suggests a slight change in the voice coil, perhaps to fix a problem. 

According to their own advertising:  Essentially, this is the 1st generation repaired, not new technology.  

Those who did not have the issue and have replaced their cable likely have the same model, though it cost more.  

Opinions, greatly subjective regarding subtle differences, will vary.  This opinion is only drawn from their ad and not from hearing.  

In terms of the analysis, this is the same procedure used to discern criminal deception.  It reveals content, priority, veracity and deception with greater accuracy than a polygraph.  

Those who purchase MK II are likely getting the marvelous accuracy of sound, without the headache of worrying if they got one of the 'problematic' ones.  Those who own first generation, have had to spend more than 10% of the purchase price to replace the cable, making MK II the value winner.  

It will be interesting to read the opinions of those who compare 

A.  The First Gen WITH replacement Cable with:
B.  Mk II stock cable.  

If the improvement was more than the fixing of the problem, they would be 'shouting it from the roof top' but they are not.  It is lowered in priority and shows no weakness for any lawsuit or claim of fraud.  They are not declaring any significant change in sound quality.  

Jul 15, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #731 of 1,190
I bought the first gen about two weeks before they announced the second gen, but I don't really have any regrets. The first gen with a balanced Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable sounds incredible. Sadly, I haven't been using my K10U or Zeus recently because of the T8iE, Fidue Sirius, and Rose Pudding. 

Jul 15, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #732 of 1,190
  I bought the first gen about two weeks before they announced the second gen, but I don't really have any regrets. The first gen with a balanced Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable sounds incredible. Sadly, I haven't been using my K10U or Zeus recently because of the T8iE, Fidue Sirius, and Rose Pudding. 

We are quite open about you lending the K10Us if you don't find the time to test them...
biggrin.gif

Jul 15, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #734 of 1,190
As a post script to the analysis of the advertising...

Those who purchase the Mk II are saving themselves at least $100 (likely more) in an expensive cable replacement.  

My own story is that I purchased T8 for myself and was surprised at the number of complaints here, all stated against the language of praise of the sound quality.  (I am also a fan of Beyerdynamic quality) 

In spite of these warnings, I purchased T8 for my wife, as she, too, was overwhelmed with the clarity and low profile comfort.  

Mine went south shortly after.  

With the delay in replacement, I spoke with 2 dealers, and the warranty rep from AK.  I concluded from the latter that he was withholding information about the manufacturing defect.  I believe he knew  or believed a second gen was in the making.  That he was withholding information wasn't in doubt; and this information was about the number of replacements he had processed, giving him an understanding that there was, in deed, an issue. 

The dealer I purchased from gave me a refund because he could not get a date from AK when the replacement would be in.    

With all of this, and all the testing I have done and all the reading, I am determined to not be without the T8.  In love with the T1, I prefer to the T8 but struggle to articulate why; perhaps it is in ear, in general, over the full sized headphones.  The sound quality is such that should something happen, I will replace it with the Mk II.   

The described difference between the two raises the bar on subjectivity.  It must be very close in sound. 

The sound quality of the T8 is what, in my ears, the music was intended to sound like.  It appears that they have captured being "neutral" without sounding sterile or distant.  I cannot describe the sound difference between the T1 and T8, though no A/B testing can be done due to the physical feel.  Perhaps it is that the T8's closed, well fitting style, gives a nod to bass, but it feels 'balanced' to me; not overwhelming. 

I feel that I am hearing "fidelity" in sound.  

Should there be an issue, I'm determined to get the 2nd gen.  I think they found the issue, and fixed it, and the sound quality is likely a bit better when measured against the T8 without an aftermarket cable replacing the stock cable.  

When experienced audiophiles feel it is so very similar, this is good news for me.  They did not ruin a good thing!  

Jul 15, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #735 of 1,190
Just got my MKII today. The cable alone feels it has better build quality than the MKI which looks cheap. As for the sound. I am currently enjoying it and let it go through it's paces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back