Astell&Kern beyerdynamic AK T8iE Review (First Impressions from IFA 2015)
Jul 5, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #691 of 1,190
  Mmm.....l've preordered the MK II but with these type of issues popping up, I'm beginning to have cold feet. I'm very close to canceling specially with my audition of the HUM Pristine in-ear monitor (dual armature). All I can  say is I've got a HUGE crush on Pristine. Really looks like a well-built product. It looks and sounds amazing....... Handsome-looking in-ear..........and it is available right now from where I am.......decision, decision, decision.....

I think MK II is the answer to the issue; but I am not sure it is much more.  (read the advertisement and pay attention to the order)

I cannot conceive how the T8 can sound better than it does, so I too am interested in hearing from reviewers of the MK II.  Of particular interest to me is is how does the 2nd generation sound from the first generation when the first gen T8 has a new cable.   THIS should be interesting.  

Jul 5, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #694 of 1,190
Well, yes, I do hope the cable changes lead to better reliability.

However, the driver is (or is also) a sound issue. Jut making a change is going to lead to a different sound, no matter what. Here, BeyerD is specifically talking about a change to allow better travel for the transducer. That should mean better headroom, meaning the speaker can play louder without the sound breaking up--it may have some audible repercussions at lower volumes, too. Furthermore, the info provided (if accurate) also talks about lower distortion. Again, this is something that should lead to a change in sound, namely, better clarity/detail.

We'll hear with our ears what the real changes are, but this is promising so far.

Jul 5, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #695 of 1,190
A product is as good as the after sale supprort. The blames are slowly been shifted towards BD for slow warranty repair processing.
Honesty of it was not such a good sounding product I would have long forgotten about it.

Jul 5, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #696 of 1,190
Still no news about the status of my RMA, I can only hope my friend's saying is true that the only way they can replace mine is by honoring it with a mk2.

Jul 5, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #698 of 1,190
Just be careful your dealer probably going to give you old stock ask for mkii model.

Well the dealer has delivered the unit to the Singaporean distributor SKM, whether I'll get mk1 or mk2 will depend on SKM's decision. I have been dealing with them once regarding this problem, if they want to make wise decision both financially and morally, they will need to give me mk2 or else they need to exchange it again for the third time. I can only hope for the best here.

Jul 5, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #699 of 1,190

Well the dealer has delivered the unit to the Singaporean distributor SKM, whether I'll get mk1 or mk2 will depend on SKM's decision. I have been dealing with them once regarding this problem, if they want to make wise decision both financially and morally, they will need to give me mk2 or else they need to exchange it again for the third time. I can only hope for the best here.

The whole world watches on anxiously as you takes on the impossible challenge of conquering the AK dealership.... 
popcorn.gif

My third T8iE is working well so far, but I wish mine would break again soon if you do manage to score a MkII in exchange. I bet mine will die again right after the warranty expires...

Seriously, for earphones that sounds as amazing as the T8iE, it's sad to see that the thread becomes most active when people are discussing warranty repairs....
biggrin.gif

I've tried most of the higher priced IEMs that came out recently (K10U, Layla II, KSE1500, etc), but I still love the T8iE as my No.1 pick for daily use, though others have their merits too.

Also I changed to the SpinFit tips, and that does a good job of ensuring stable fit on the T8iE, so I don't have to be bothered by L/R balance getting messed up with bad seal.

Jul 5, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #700 of 1,190
The whole world watches on anxiously as you takes on the impossible challenge of conquering the AK dealership.... :popcorn:

My third T8iE is working well so far, but I wish mine would break again soon if you do manage to score a MkII in exchange. I bet mine will die again right after the warranty expires...

Seriously, for earphones that sounds as amazing as the T8iE, it's sad to see that the thread becomes most active when people are discussing warranty repairs....:D
I've tried most of the higher priced IEMs that came out recently (K10U, Layla II, KSE1500, etc), but I still love the T8iE as my No.1 pick for daily use, though others have their merits too.

Also I changed to the SpinFit tips, and that does a good job of ensuring stable fit on the T8iE, so I don't have to be bothered by L/R balance getting messed up with bad seal.
wow billions are waiting?

Jul 9, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #701 of 1,190
Today got the pleasure to audition the mk2 at the local dealership. Listened for 20 minutes, its a new unit just a day old, but from what I can tell from the brief experience, its not too different from the mk1, same top end extension, same up close vocal and midrange, same bass energy. Yup the new cable is nice but the sound is just too familiar...

Jul 9, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #702 of 1,190
Today got the pleasure to audition the mk2 at the local dealership. Listened for 20 minutes, its a new unit just a day old, but from what I can tell from the brief experience, its not too different from the mk1, same top end extension, same up close vocal and midrange, same bass energy. Yup the new cable is nice but the sound is just too familiar...

For most of us perhaps that is good news, we didn't mind the sound, the built is what we are worried about.

Jul 9, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #703 of 1,190
Regarding Telacap's finding...

Read AK's ad carefully.  

Note the order which suggests priority. 

Then, regarding the statement of improvement (after the cable, connectors, which likely addressed the problem), they are not saying its new technology.  This is why they use the date of Beyerdynamic's founding.   

The 2nd generation, or MK II is very likely the original with a better cable and connectors, which may be:  Generation one with an excellent cable replacement. 

I glean this only from their own wording.  Companies do not want to outright lie so they make suggestions, instead.  Here, they did not admit their was a problem, but have addressed the problem. It seems that most of us who had the problem had it relatively soon after purchasing it (less than 3 months) 

Under warranty, any of us who have an issue should insist on the MK II as replacement, otherwise, you will still have to invest $ into a new cable.  

I don't think that experienced users of the T8 who get to listen to the replacement are going to hear much of a difference if they have a replacement cable on their original. 

It is good news; win-win.   

If ours goes bad, we can get the Mk ii as replacement, and those who want this accuracy can get the Mk ii without the worry.  

To each his own, but I don't think we are going to find it worthwhile to sell, at a significant decrease, our T8 for the replacement if we have already replaced the cable.  If money isn't an issue and an owner of T8 still buys the Mk ii, more power to him.  My point is for those of us for which this was an extreme once-in-a-lifetime or 'end-game' purchase.  

I am going to sell my T1 (2nd gen)  because I love the purity of sound the T8 gives.  It has even topped the T1 for me, as I found I preferred the T8 sound.  The T1 is marvelous, and well built, and the sound is THISCLOSE but I still prefer the T8.  

Thanks for posting, Telacap.  I hope more do the same for us.  

Jul 9, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #704 of 1,190
So I was able to get more answers today. BD has stopped making the first generation models and any units which has been sent back for repair is highly likely to be replaced with new unit. I asked the dealer "what highly likely means?" he replied "the last two unit which died before me all got replaced with the new model so mine should be too"

I am too disappointed on how the entire situation was dealt with. But than again I am glad they openly partially agreed with fault. They could have easily pretend nothing is wrong and made those changes unannounced, like few other companies did but part of them not doing this is due to the various thread around the big audio forums complaining about this issue. It must have impacted sale otherwise they would not so openly announce and emphasis the MKII changes compared to the first model.

Jul 9, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #705 of 1,190
So I was able to get more answers today. BD has stopped making the first generation models and any units which has been sent back for repair is highly likely to be replaced with new unit. I asked the dealer "what highly likely means?" he replied "the last two unit which died before me all got replaced with the new model so mine should be too"

I am too disappointed on how the entire situation was dealt with. But than again I am glad they openly partially agreed with fault. They could have easily pretend nothing is wrong and made those changes unannounced, like few other companies did but part of them not doing this is due to the various thread around the big audio forums complaining about this issue. It must have impacted sale otherwise they would not so openly announce and emphasis the MKII changes compared to the first model.

You were wise to make him define his own language. Kudos for this and perseverance.

If I am mistaken and sound quality is also improved, I will sell mine for Mk II. I think the new cable/connectors is the issue but I've been wrong before.

My wife says, "Peter's always wrong. That's what so right about him."

Keep us updated and thank you for updates so far.

We are a well informed bunch of T8 fans who want to be treated as such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back