Astell&Kern beyerdynamic AK T8iE Review (First Impressions from IFA 2015)
Jul 15, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #737 of 1,190
Just got my MKII today. The cable alone feels it has better build quality than the MKI which looks cheap. As for the sound. I am currently enjoying it and let it go through it's paces.

Tell us more and whether you feel there is any difference in sound quality as the mkii breaks in, please.

Jul 15, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #738 of 1,190
  Any comparisons with the 64Audio U12?

I am no good at describing the nuances of the SQ in audiophile terms but I find the 64Audio U12 SQ to be a little more mellow than the T8.  The T8 sounds a little sweeter, a tad brighter and slightly more musical. On the other hand, the U12 is just more analytical and its bass has more impact. The ADEL module on the U12 seems to work really well as I do not feel any fatigue on these iems.

I love both these iems for different reasons.

Jul 16, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #739 of 1,190
I'm not going to talk about SQ yet because I feel I still have to get myself familiar with how it generally sound in relation with my music collection before I can do a meaningful impression and comparison.

However, I already feel confident talking about it's ergonomics and comfort. I believe A&K and Beyerdynamic hits the bullseye in terms of comfort as far as IEM goes. I have tried a number of iems (universal and customs) but none has given me comfort that last for many hours. Even the customs I have(had) - JH Roxanne(JH16) can only last a couple of hours tops before I start to feel discomfort.

None of the universal iems in combination of different tips worked for me. The biggest problem I had with uiems is that they do stay in place very long. So performance is dodgy no matter how good the iem is because it doesn't sound consistent on my ear for a long period of time.

Thus, I have abandoned iems in favor of headphones as a portable rig for a long time.

AKT8IE I think have changed that. I have already worn it for 3 hours straight and still comfortable and sounds consistent on my ear. The shape of the stock silicon tip and the monitor itself works pretty well for me. Isolation is not as good as the Roxanne but it's good enough in a noisy environment. Bass is consistent whether I move or sit still.

I can tell that it is consistent by pressing the monitor against my ear. Normally for a uiem the bass would sound fuller if I press the monitor against my ear and loosens when I release.

For AKT8IE MK2 I just have to use the largest stock tip and the right orientation when inserted to the monitor barrel and ... Voila, top notch comfort and consistency in performance.

Jul 16, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #740 of 1,190
Today finally got the chance to audition the mk2 with my mk1 side by side for 1.5hrs both using the crystal cable via balanced connection with AK380 + amp black as source.

Appearance wise I am not able to detect any differences without the cable, maybe the mk2 got a slightly lighter lamination. Listened to a variable of pop and rock music.

Just to skip to the summary, the verdict is my mk1 is more open sounding and cleaner than the mk2, esp in the mid bass and vocal departments. Bass quantity and quality largely the same, treble also the same. Granted it isn't fair comparing my mk1 which I have been using since last December, the mk2 is just with a week of use. So I am sure the mk2 will sound better with time but it is quite apparent that the mk2 is not superior sounding right out of the box. I think you might get bigger differences from sample variations than comparing mk1 vs 2.

So hopefully my mk1 will continue to be reliable and will gladly wait for the mk3 to come out.

Jul 16, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #743 of 1,190
Hmm, I've compared new dynamic driver iems with the same model burned in and there are audible differences, but these are often minor. If the t8ie mkii really does have a different voice coil, I'd expect a difference, just that here you found that it is worse than the mki. That's super helpful, I don't think if it already had a week of playtime that it is going to improve, but, of course, if you do later comparisons, that'll be welcome, too.
I was waiting until your comparison to order, so I think I'm no longer going to buy.

Jul 16, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #744 of 1,190
Hmm, I've compared new dynamic driver iems with the same model burned in and there are audible differences, but these are often minor. If the t8ie mkii really does have a different voice coil, I'd expect a difference, just that here you found that it is worse than the mki. That's super helpful, I don't think if it already had a week of playtime that it is going to improve, but, of course, if you do later comparisons, that'll be welcome, too.
I was waiting until your comparison to order, so I think I'm no longer going to buy.

I do think for dynamic drivers burning in does make a bigger difference than for BA units, but I was surely disappointed since Beyer marketed the mk2 with improved coil, which to my ears didn't make a clear difference in SQ.

Jul 17, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #746 of 1,190

Considering the current mess I am surprised any is actually buying it.

Jul 19, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #747 of 1,190
Weeks ago I tried the AKT8iE Mk2 with the stock cable and didn't think too much of it, yesterday my shop convinced me to try the combination of AKT8iE Mk2 with Westone Bluetooth Cable, source was my RWAK380 bluetooth with aptx, and I was simply blown away at how good it sounded. I don't know what Westone has done to their bluetooth cable but it doesn't seem to have its own DAC only an audio receiver. I don't know how much of this is attributable to "Bluetooth 4.0 with aptX' technology but the T8iE Mk2 sounded extremely good with pop music, warm, full, engaging with big bass .... this combo is seriously calling to me now.

However, the constant reports of failures and RMA and getting electrocuted are worrying, what is the current state of things? (Is everyone's units still dying left and right)?

Jul 19, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #748 of 1,190
  Weeks ago I tried the AKT8iE Mk2 with the stock cable and didn't think too much of it, yesterday my shop convinced me to try the combination of AKT8iE Mk2 with Westone Bluetooth Cable, source was my RWAK380 bluetooth with aptx, and I was simply blown away at how good it sounded. I don't know what Westone has done to their bluetooth cable but it doesn't seem to have its own DAC only an audio receiver. I don't know how much of this is attributable to "Bluetooth 4.0 with aptX' technology but the T8iE Mk2 sounded extremely good with pop music, warm, full, engaging with big bass .... this combo is seriously calling to me now.

However, the constant reports of failures and RMA and getting electrocuted are worrying, what is the current state of things? (Is everyone's units still dying left and right)?

The t8ie mkii wasn't out weeks ago, it's been available literally two weeks. You may have tried the mki previously. Thanks to several head-fiers, we know now for sure that the mkii is either better, worse or the same as the mki. Par for the course, more ears will lead to a consensus eventually.

Jul 19, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #749 of 1,190
  The t8ie mkii wasn't out weeks ago, it's been available literally two weeks. You may have tried the mki previously. Thanks to several head-fiers, we know now for sure that the mkii is either better, worse or the same as the mki. Par for the course, more ears will lead to a consensus eventually.

I'm just concerned as to what was happening with the QC of the T8ie previously and the state of things now 

Jul 20, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #750 of 1,190
QC concerns over the MKI has me burning in the MKII continously. So if there are any issues it should happen sooner. So far it's still holding. No signs of any issues yet. My unit is already 5 days old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back