Astell&Kern beyerdynamic AK T8iE Review (First Impressions from IFA 2015)
Jul 23, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #766 of 1,190
I went to collect my supposed mk2 model today. Got there and the sale guy was trying to convince me the unit I got is the second generation. After few moment of no so pleasant talk he agreed he is wrong and they will ship the proper model to my house which is what I wanted.
It is just keep getting worst.

That is a very awkward and unpleasant experience. Either the sales guy dont know his stuff or is trying to get away from your agreement. Either way it doesn't look too good for them.

Jul 23, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #768 of 1,190
Addictive too audio keeps on surprising me, safe to say i will not be buying anything from them.
the MkII says MKII on the box itself, but otherwise you can't differentiate from the first gen by looks alone. The model number is also not written on the iem itself..
The mark 2 demo at my shop says 12580, wonder why it's not a larger number (e.g.. 2xXxX)...scared they are just putting MkI in there ..

Jul 23, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #770 of 1,190
Jul 24, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #771 of 1,190
had the chance to compare MKI and MKII today. The most apparent difference to me is the MKI has a slight bass bloat compared to MKIi making MKII a hair brighter.

Overall presentation and timbre is very similar. It's difficult to tell them apart if I somehow mixed them together. Not only they look the same but sound very similar.

You have to focus closely and listen to a small part of a song and compare a couple of times to get a hint of difference.

MKIi is also a bit tighter rendering bass compared to MKI. The mids seem a little forward on MKIi but I think that is because of the bass bloat on MKI.

Also tried the spin fit tip on MKIi. I think it enhances clarity compared to the stock tip.

Had the MKIi for 9 days now and have exceed 150 hours of break-in time. The MKI demo has been on the store since day 1 according to the shop attendant and have seen quite a lengthy head time as well.

Jul 24, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #772 of 1,190
had the chance to compare MKI and MKII today. The most apparent difference to me is the MKI has a slight bass bloat compared to MKIi making MKII a hair brighter.

Overall presentation and timbre is very similar. It's difficult to tell them apart if I somehow mixed them together. Not only they look the same but sound very similar.

You have to focus closely and listen to a small part of a song and compare a couple of times to get a hint of difference.

MKIi is also a bit tighter rendering bass compared to MKI. The mids seem a little forward on MKIi but I think that is because of the bass bloat on MKI.

Also tried the spin fit tip on MKIi. I think it enhances clarity compared to the stock tip.

Had the MKIi for 9 days now and have exceed 150 hours of break-in time. The MKI demo has been on the store since day 1 according to the shop attendant and have seen quite a lengthy head time as well.

So not a huge difference soundwise. Are you able to describe any differences that you perceived in the cables - quality/robustness etc?

Jul 24, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #775 of 1,190
I'm still tempted to get these, but they are quite new (only started going on sale this month) and there's no telling whether the QC issues, MMCX fragility, drivers dying issues are all taken care of. The super tiny and comfortable form factor and the idea that something this small (smaller than most multi-BA iems) can potentially sound very good is appealing to me, and it can rock really well.  

Also, it is rather strange that the serial number of my shop's MKII demo is '12580', because the serial number has already gone past '17xxx' months ago according to this thread, it shouldn't be going backwards. And since the MkII JUST launched it is hard to believe that over 12000 units have been already made and are out there. My shop only had 3 new units and they were all sold. 

Jul 24, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #776 of 1,190
I think MKI(repaired) and new MKII share same unit. If not, how do they distinguish the both by series number?

My first MKI series number : 1345X, fisnish on right unit had been rubbed off and I return it back to get a new.(series number : 1725X)
After two months, right driver died .I got it repaired.  

After 1.5 months to wait. Last week it came back and it's MKI and it's series number:1343X 

Jul 24, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #777 of 1,190
you mean MkI and MKII share same serial number? That still doesn't make sense why the MkII demo is 12580 but your returned MkI is 1725x. 

Reading the product descriptions carefully again there has been no mention that whatever problems plagued the MKI previously has been fixed, there was also no admission of any problems at all. The three changed things were simply:

- new voicecoil (does this imply that driver failure has been fixed?)
- new cables (irrelevant as ppl's drivers were dying not the cable)
- new gold plated MMCX jacks (maybe this would help with the general MMCX fragility) 

Grateful if MkII owners can confirm whether their units are running fine and no failures occurred so far ... 

Jul 24, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #778 of 1,190
  you mean MkI and MKII share same serial number? That still doesn't make sense why the MkII demo is 12580 but your returned MkI is 1725x. 

Reading the product descriptions carefully again there has been no mention that whatever problems plagued the MKI previously has been fixed, there was also no admission of any problems at all. The three changed things were simply:

- new voicecoil (does this imply that driver failure has been fixed?)
- new cables (irrelevant as ppl's drivers were dying not the cable)
- new gold plated MMCX jacks (maybe this would help with the general MMCX fragility) 

Grateful if MkII owners can confirm whether their units are running fine and no failures occurred so far ... 

I mean that if your MKI dead and you send your MKI to repair now, you will receive your MKI with same unit of MKII.  

Only different thing is cable.

Jul 24, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #780 of 1,190
  My MKII is just barely 10 days old and been using it since day1. No issues so far as I can tell.

what does your serial number fall into? 12xxx, 17xxx, or 2xxxx?

I mean that if your MKI dead and you send your MKI to repair now, you will receive your MKI with same unit of MKII.  

Only different thing is cable.

so you're saying my shops's MKII demo might be a 'repaired' version of a MkI with serial number 12580

Users who are viewing this thread

Back