Astell&Kern beyerdynamic AK T8iE Review (First Impressions from IFA 2015)
Jul 29, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #796 of 1,190
  Mmm....interested in going wireless mmcx with my akt8ie and other mmcx earphones with the Westone wireless cable. Clincher: it is aptx capable. Makes a good pair with the onkyo dpx1 and ak380cu. Hope sq does not suffer much. More  feedback with the westone device most welcome. Tia.

Will the ak380/onkyo dpx1  aptx bluetooth to aptx bluetooth chord tt to westone aptx bluetooth work? Just wondering. If so, it means wireless freedom.

Yes a few pages back I was raving about AKT8iE MkII + Westone bluetooth cable + AK380 bluetooth aptX pairing. Possibly the best sounding 'luxury portable bluetooth setup' balancing reasonably good sound quality, extreme comfort and ease of handling on the go. I'm hesitating because of the hefty pricing, the horrid QC issues with the MK1, the MKII still being too new for its true reliability to be known. Also there are now reports of the MMCX being loose :S 

Jul 29, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #797 of 1,190
  A question for the MKII owners how loss are your mmcx connection, mine rotates so freely.

Same with mine. The right monitor cable comes off/disconnects if the cable is caught into something. At least the monitor always stays in my ear everytime this happens.

Jul 29, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #799 of 1,190

Same with mine. The right monitor cable comes off/disconnects if the cable is caught into something. At least the monitor always stays in my ear everytime this happens.

Do you mean 'gently caught' or 'firmly caught'?

The most positive spin I could put on this, would be maybe it is good safety for the cable to disconnect, rather than rip the earpiece out of your ear.
However if the cable disconnects at the slightest tug, then you do wonder about the electrical connection.

Jul 29, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #800 of 1,190
Woah seriously one problem after another, sure I can just duct tape the MMCX but that would a be crude way to solve this problem.

Jul 29, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #801 of 1,190

Do you mean 'gently caught' or 'firmly caught'?

The most positive spin I could put on this, would be maybe it is good safety for the cable to disconnect, rather than rip the earpiece out of your ear.
However if the cable disconnects at the slightest tug, then you do wonder about the electrical connection.

It usually happen when I insert the monitor in my ear then, while adjusting the choker and my fingers gets caught it disconnects.

Not exactly firm but not too gentle either. It never happens while it's in place and casually listening. So I don't consider this a problem yet.

By now, I'm fully aware of it so I'm a bit gentle every time Insert the monitors in my ear, carefully and slowly adjusting the choker so it fits snugly and the cable don't hang much above the y split.

Jul 29, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #802 of 1,190
mmm.....I don't understand. MMCX is supposed to rotate freely and the cable does not come off easily(from the earpiece)  even if I accidentally snag it on some object.  I don't run. I glide......gracefully.  My AK T8ie is now more than 2 months old. NO QC issue to report. <knock on wood>.

Jul 29, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #803 of 1,190
The MMCX connectors on my MKII are very firm.  They do not rotate freely at all.  I have to put deliberate pressure on them to turn them.  So far I haven't had any issues with mine.  There is no cutting out and the wire has certainly never disconnected from the ear pieces.  If I caught it on something and pulled hard; I'm sure the wire would break before the connectors would give way. 

Aug 1, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #808 of 1,190
Just a heads up to all current and prospective MkII owners, I had an unexplained euphoria / crush on these weeks ago and almost bought the demo from my shop until they get actual new stock to exchange with me, I was that excited. However, two days ago the left side started having intermittent signals. Being a shop demo and getting disconnected regularly, the MMCX probably decided that it's had enough and gave in. 

Terrible reliability for the price, horrid value. I'm giving up on these until it's fixed, but it's already been a year these are out, and issues are still omnipresent. 

Aug 1, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #809 of 1,190
By the gods, mk2 still have reliability issues!? I guess I'll hold up for more planar IEMs to come out, perhaps Audeze will step up their game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back