Astell&Kern AK380
Mar 15, 2018 at 4:19 AM Post #8,641 of 9,041
It has to do with the seek times vs. the read write times. The sd cards are slow when seeking across multiple data packages as opposed to reading or writing to a localized strip of data like video or audio. I bet the super fast cards would be much faster but I'm only guessing. Yes my card is slow as hell when loading playlists. Too slow in fact. I'm thinking smaller 30 mg sustained cards would speed the process up.

Mar 22, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #8,645 of 9,041
I’m not sure of any user replacement battery type, I have email Astell & kern about it.

Waiting for their reply.
The battery is not user-replaceable. Any of our authorized repair centers can replace the battery. I'm not sure how much it is in other parts of the country, but for US/Canada it is $90 for battery replacement and we replace them in-house at our Irvine, CA offices for North American customers.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Mar 26, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #8,646 of 9,041
Today my AK380 'lost' half my music, so looked in System Information and got a message "Damaged SD Card".

The card is a Sandisk 256GB that went in the player the day I got it and hasn't been out since - about 2yrs or so.

Has this happened to anyone else and is there anything I can do to try and fix it?

Mar 26, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #8,647 of 9,041
These sd cards are like little hard drives . They are not immune to directory corruption and subsequent loss of data . The only thing you can do to help is back up your music onto another hard drive. This way if you loose some or all of your data you have a backup in place ready to restore lost data, It happens . Sorry it happened to you .

Mar 26, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #8,648 of 9,041
Interesting last few posts. I do like my 380cu better with matching amp. Using my new Empire Ear Phantom CIEM's I can get away with just the 380cu and no amp. That's my portable rig. If I didn't already have a top shelf home 2 channel system with an Ayre QX5 DAC/amp, I'd get an Ayre Codex DAC/Amp for desktop use. Best sounding DAC/AMP under a few K that I've heard. I like it much better than the Chord products. That said, I really love the AK380cu wiht the right IEM's. I haven't even tried it with my ZMF Ori's, but may out of curiosity.

Mar 27, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #8,649 of 9,041
These sd cards are like little hard drives . They are not immune to directory corruption and subsequent loss of data . The only thing you can do to help is back up your music onto another hard drive. This way if you loose some or all of your data you have a backup in place ready to restore lost data, It happens . Sorry it happened to you .

I had a situation with my AK240. I installed a 200gb SanDisk. After about 2 years of use the card works but I cannot move data from it. The files were still readable by the ak240 but I couldn't move any files to a new micro sd. This is just more reason why AK should look into mSATA or M.2 as a storage option.

Mar 27, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #8,650 of 9,041
Would formatting the card in the player have helped avoid this?

I never did format it because the Sandisk cards seem to work with the AK players straight out the box.

I'll get a Sandisk 400GB to replace the damaged card - format or not?

Mar 27, 2018 at 2:49 AM Post #8,651 of 9,041
Would formatting the card in the player have helped avoid this?

I never did format it because the Sandisk cards seem to work with the AK players straight out the box.

I'll get a Sandisk 400GB to replace the damaged card - format or not?
I´ve been using a Sandisk 256 GB with my AK380 and I´ve never had any kind of problems. Now I´ve replaced it by a 400 GB just to have more storage capacity. I formatted both of them with the computer and using FAT32. I´ve noticed that exFat format creates problems to some DAPs, specially old ones, so I don´t use that format anymore.

Mar 27, 2018 at 4:33 AM Post #8,652 of 9,041
I stuck in another Sandisk card I had lying around - completely new, unformatted - seems fine - doesn't even give you the option of formatting, unless I'm supposed to choose the 'delete' option? The English instructions on the AK players ain't always clear.

Mar 29, 2018 at 4:49 AM Post #8,653 of 9,041
Luckily, I'd saved my AK380 FLAC files to an EHD - separately 'Internal' and 'SD Card' files - so got to work transferring the SD files onto the new card with the player and the EHD plugged into my MacBook using Android File Transfer (aaaarrrggghhh!!! again) and the weird thing was, apart from everything going pretty smoothly, the SD card (Sandisk and identical to the previous one that was damaged) wasn't full at the end - the previous card had been. I had an extra 10GB left over, which I've now filled to make more space on the internal memory. I know nothing about what happens to Flac files when they're transferred between Macs and Android devices but the files seem to have got slightly smaller. Bizarre.

Also, I remember a comment someone made about not using the AK380's internal file system to move files around because this could corrupt the SD card. I did recently use the AK380 to delete some tracks - imagine, the only two Nilsson songs I already knew were the only ones worth listening to...why did I buy his greatest hits... - I wonder if this might have led to the SD card failure?

Anyway, I need to get a Windows laptop for another reason so AFT no more...soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back