Astell&Kern AK380
Feb 1, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #8,611 of 9,040
We have fully tested the 400GB cards with all of our players, including the AK380 and have found no issues. We recommend formatting the cards as FAT32 for best results.

Most likely the issue is a corrupt tag or file. You mentioned there is no issue with the files on the internal memory, but only ones on the card. Do you have the same files in both internal memory and the card to rule out a corrupt file causing the issue?

My suggestion would be to copy files to the card in batches and test. If you run into a problem with one set, most likely it is a file in that set causing the issue. I know this is not a simple solution and takes time. Most cases we have found it was a file that didn't copy correctly when loaded on the card or player or it was corrupt to begin with.

Thanks.

It must’ve been a corrupted lyric tag then. I cleared all the lyric tags and ran a repair on the SD card, it now works fine.

Different files on the internal memory but all the lyric tags were done in the same manner.

Feb 3, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #8,612 of 9,040
aside from jason,anyone knows who else to contact regarding ak problems?i havent use my 380 foR months now..jason and i had a brief exchange of message after that he stop replying..few months back i remember a lot of people complained about ak customer service.i thought they already sorted it out..

Feb 4, 2018 at 3:47 AM Post #8,613 of 9,040
aside from jason,anyone knows who else to contact regarding ak problems?i havent use my 380 foR months now..jason and i had a brief exchange of message after that he stop replying..few months back i remember a lot of people complained about ak customer service.i thought they already sorted it out..
Hi @zniper2984

I apologize, I never received a response back from you after I sent a few things to try, so I assumed everything was working again. From this post, I assume you are still having issues. Let me speak to our team when they get into the office on Monday morning for next steps.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Feb 12, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #8,614 of 9,040
Anyone tested the AK380's lineout again say Hugo or other popular DAC? I'm thinking about getting a 3.5 lineout to RCA cable for it as a temporary source for McIntosh MHA100 amp. If it's really weak, I may save the money on the cable. The integrated DAC in the MHA100 is decent.

Feb 15, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #8,617 of 9,040
How is the AK300.compared to AK380? Is it worth the upgrade?
If you mean the opposite, yes. AK300 is relatively overpriced in my opinion. A number of DAPs in the 250-500$ are doing a better job to be fair.
AK380 is my personal "reference" if you're after a natural and yet very detailed signature, with a small touch of warmth.

Feb 15, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #8,618 of 9,040
I was very happy with AK300 - really, until I heard AK380 :). No comparison here. I sent AK300 back and AK380 is with me now. Very happy with it now.

Edit: If you are looking for it, it is for £1950 Copper version on Amazon UK now.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #8,619 of 9,040
Hi,

This is my first post on this thread - although I’ve visited on and off observing developments. I got an AK380 last week and the 300 series amp arrived a couple of days ago. I’ve had an AK240 for the past 3.5 years and always fancied the 380 but they seemed a bit pricey. Anyway, I managed to get a 380, the amp and a 400GB SD card for £2,500 which is what my 240 plus cradle and SD card originally cost me, so I thought I’d give it a go - 3.5 years is long enough between upgrades, right? The thing that amazed me about the 380 is that it is only a bit taller and a bit wider than the 240, but yet it seems so much bigger - bigger screen and just easier dimensions for me anyway, without being too big for portability. Well, until you add the amp that is!

Sound quality is a good step up from the 240 and the amp takes it up another step again. I am impressed so far. I thought that I’d sell the 240, but I may actually keep it now for its ultimate portability.

I did read on here about all the different finishes and I found the special burnt chocolate orange to sound the best to my ears. The picture below shows my 240 on the right. Next to that is the 300 series amp in Meteoric Titan and on the left is my 380 in the special burnt chocolate orange. It’s not a very good colour match with the amp, but I’ll put a leather case on it. I’d imagine with a case, the whole thing is a bit of a brick.

0FF72DF0-D6F3-48C6-A273-59BDC9C0D0B8.jpeg

Edit - this text after the photo was not submitted with my OP for some reason. My AK380 is actually Meteoric Titan, but I have never seen one look the way mine does. I actually prefer the colour to the way that they usually look - i.e like the amp in the photo above. I am curious as to the nature of the colour and why it seems so different from all the others that I have seen. Has anyone else seen one look so different? Maybe just a bad colour batch?

Edit - Sandisk 400GB SD card works a treat with 380. I’ve got 550GB loaded up on the 380 and it all works well. The 380 seems faster with a 400GB card than the 240 is with a 200GB card, which is a bonus that I wasn’t expecting.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #8,620 of 9,040
The amp gets bashed here lot but my ak amp is sounding better than ever now that I have over 100 hours on it. It takes some burn in time but gives my ALO CDM a run for its money with iem and sounds better by a large margin with my Audeze LCD-XC headphones. Something with the femto clocking seems to take it to another level than the 240. The AKM dacs are real rock and pop machines. The 240 is still probably more nuancy for jazz and classical .

Feb 16, 2018 at 1:33 AM Post #8,621 of 9,040
The amp gets bashed here lot but my ak amp is sounding better than ever now that I have over 100 hours on it. It takes some burn in time but gives my ALO CDM a run for its money with iem and sounds better by a large margin with my Audeze LCD-XC headphones. Something with the femto clocking seems to take it to another level than the 240. The AKM dacs are real rock and pop machines. The 240 is still probably more nuancy for jazz and classical .

It's a nice little amp. It drives Utopia, Hifiman edition X, LCD XC, HD800 with authority. HE1000 is the only headphone I had issues with.

Feb 16, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #8,622 of 9,040

It’s still early for me as I’ve only had the amp a couple of days, but I really like it. Even with iem’s - JH Layla’s - there is a good uplift in sound quality. More authority, depth and control imo. I certainly wasn't intending to bash the amp if you took that from my post. I hope they improve the firmware though - I understand the need for volume levelling to prevent self harm, but I wish the amp would stay switched on until I choose to switch it off. With the volume levelling in place, there is no need to switch the amp off as well.

I agree with your other comments - another reason for maybe keeping the 240.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 4:08 AM Post #8,623 of 9,040
It's a nice little amp. It drives Utopia, Hifiman edition X, LCD XC, HD800 with authority. HE1000 is the only headphone I had issues with.

Good to know. The amp sounds great with my iem’s and my HD800’s, but I haven’t tried with my HE-K’s yet. I will give them a go, but I never really intended on using them with the AK380. I have a 2.5mm balanced cable for the HD800’s which I don’t have for the HE-K anyway and, so far, I am preferring balanced output from the amp.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back