Astell&Kern AK380
Oct 28, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #8,461 of 9,040
Using IE800? The player will not drive the IE800 well without amplification. I won't bother using the low gain on the AK amp. The output is even lower than the standalone AK380.
Yes I
Using IE800? The player will not drive the IE800 well without amplification. I won't bother using the low gain on the AK amp. The output is even lower than the standalone AK380.

Yes ie800 is difficult to drive compare to Xelento or Vega. On AK380 alone I already reach at level 90 my comfort listening with amp is a bit higher around 92 but sound with amp is better than AK380 alone quieter more organic yet bit better in detail and separation sound Stage is wider and deeper as well. Low gain is enough for me to drive ie800 at 105 maximum would hurt my ears already. I’m one of the lucky who my ear canal fit perfectly with ie800 tight fit no fall off at all bass is perfect no treble edgy problem. I tried switch back and forth between Low and high gain I found low gain is quieter but high gain is better dynamic. I just had this boy for 4 Days will try to see between Low and high gain to compare more. My question is what happen to me was weird perform of a kind of impedance miss matched and sound changed herribly maybe it’s just a rare chance of bugs in software.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #8,465 of 9,040
Yesterday I got an updated new firmware 1.42. I’m not so sure but it’s improved sound quality but maybe I might just imagine so today went shopping and passed by headphone shop so I wanted to try to compare with sp1000 this time ss . From what I remember last time I audition these two sound a little different tuned this time they sound identical just slightl different in tone register like bass treble but tuned sound is very similar. AK380cu combo is warmer and thicker sp1000 is brighter and clearer more transparent and a bit better in details. So firmware updated is effect sound quality may I wonder?

Oct 31, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #8,466 of 9,040
8A0516AF-76CE-4EE6-9CF8-A57BC0295CE1.jpeg 8A0516AF-76CE-4EE6-9CF8-A57BC0295CE1.jpeg I think this firmware update is improved better sound quality. Clarity is bit better, sound Stage is a bit more depth every sound is a bit more focus Everything is a bit better. I compare my cu combo to sp1000ss now it’s very close not like i remember from when I compared before. Amp function changed from low gain and high gain to normal and high. Actually I think with this firmware update I like AK380 cu combo only it’s very bulky than sp1000. They do everything in the same bar but AK380cu combo is a bit more in the warm side which is I like.

Attachments

• C71EFF99-098D-4739-A5F7-4EC0C8F5F0DF.jpeg
    C71EFF99-098D-4739-A5F7-4EC0C8F5F0DF.jpeg
    966.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #8,467 of 9,040
I think this firmware update is improved better sound quality. Clarity is bit better, sound Stage is a bit more depth every sound is a bit more focus Everything is a bit better. I compare my cu combo to sp1000ss now it’s very close not like i remember from when I compared before. Amp function changed from low gain and high gain to normal and high. Actually I think with this firmware update I like AK380 cu combo only it’s very bulky than sp1000. They do everything in the same bar but AK380cu combo is a bit more in the warm side which is I like.

I have my AK SP1000 sitting on the table while listening to my AK380cu to confirm if there's a noticeable difference before opening my package. I honestly can't pinpoint the change but something was tweaked sound wise... possibly mids a little more forward.. I'm using 64Audio U18 with my AK380cu so the clarity was already there but maybe a little cleaner... ugh! just can't pinpoint it... could be placebo lol

Oct 31, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #8,468 of 9,040
I have my AK SP1000 sitting on the table while listening to my AK380cu to confirm if there's a noticeable difference before opening my package. I honestly can't pinpoint the change but something was tweaked sound wise... possibly mids a little more forward.. I'm using 64Audio U18 with my AK380cu so the clarity was already there but maybe a little cleaner... ugh! just can't pinpoint it... could be placebo lol

Ah maybe mine is placebo too haha but I can hear it different than when I compared before. It's like more organic background is darker so music has lifted up. I compared with AK380 cu on it's own too but I preferred with Amp cu. It chunky, bulky and heavy tho.

Oct 31, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #8,469 of 9,040
Hello guys !

i'm about buying an ak380 in few days , maybe a copper one.
actuallyi ve an ak240 ( regular ) and the campfire vega with the original cable. and the ak240 drived them very well .

Do you think it will be the same with the ak380 ? or a packaging with the amp will be better ?

also what about the balanced output ?
i ve read few comments from people saying they didn"t heard any differences ... and i'm not ready to buy a 500$ balanced cable if it's not usefull ....

Also with my ak240 , my 256gb sandisk always need 10/15 minutes to work correctly , if i use it just turning on the ak240 it will reboot , once , two time then froze and the player won't work for an hour .... Do you have any problem with the 256gb card on the ak380 . and with the new 400gb ?

thanks

Oct 31, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #8,470 of 9,040
Also with my ak240 , my 256gb sandisk always need 10/15 minutes to work correctly , if i use it just turning on the ak240 it will reboot , once , two time then froze and the player won't work for an hour .... Do you have any problem with the 256gb card on the ak380 . and with the new 400gb ?

thanks

I am using Samsung 256GB sd with my AK240SS and no problems. Bootup time with scan complete was also done in less than 5 minutes.
Is your device already on the latest firmware? You will most likely need to reinitialize a media scan on the player as well as checking if you have non-audio files that you have accidentally added into the folders.

Oct 31, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #8,471 of 9,040
I’ve been listening to my AK380cu and SP1000 and to me the AK380cu sounds more clearer after the firmware update. Unfortunately I didn’t listen to the SP1000 before the AK380 firmware update. Thinking the SP1000 needs burn in but I really don’t believe in it...

can someone else confirm if they hear a difference after the firmware update?

Nov 1, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #8,472 of 9,040
I’ve been listening to my AK380cu and SP1000 and to me the AK380cu sounds more clearer after the firmware update. Unfortunately I didn’t listen to the SP1000 before the AK380 firmware update. Thinking the SP1000 needs burn in but I really don’t believe in it...

can someone else confirm if they hear a difference after the firmware update?

That’s what I hear too. After update it’s sound clearer in a sense of better. Back to before firmware update when I compare to SP1000 it’s less clear and less focus it’s like too wide open sound stage I used IE800 but after update it’s clearer more focus sound stage is more v shape that more focus on each instruments also singer and with amp it’s more focus more musical like live more intimate on the warmer side less bright.

Nov 1, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #8,473 of 9,040
Hello guys !

i'm about buying an ak380 in few days , maybe a copper one.
actuallyi ve an ak240 ( regular ) and the campfire vega with the original cable. and the ak240 drived them very well .

Do you think it will be the same with the ak380 ? or a packaging with the amp will be better ?
AK240 with a proper amp would sound fabulous. You'd have to carry a stack, though.

In any case, the AK380 drives IEMs as well as the AK240, so I wouldn't worry about its output capabilities. However, if you can obtain a good discount on the AK amp, you should consider purchasing the entire stack.

Oh may I ask you guys question guess this question I am quite certain it’s a silly question. My capacitive touch behave erregular sometime works sometime doesn’t work is that normal?
That button is next to useless, to be honest. I hardly use it. I just hit "back" all the time.

Nov 1, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #8,474 of 9,040
AK240 with a proper amp would sound fabulous. You'd have to carry a stack, though.

In any case, the AK380 drives IEMs as well as the AK240, so I wouldn't worry about its output capabilities. However, if you can obtain a good discount on the AK amp, you should consider purchasing the entire stack.

That button is next to useless, to be honest. I hardly use it. I just hit "back" all the time.

To my ears the AK380 amp did nothing for me sonic wise but it added some additional power. I’d say confirm your current and planned future headphone purchase ohms and go from there before spending 700-1k on their amp. Best to be wise and informed than to be disappointed and out of that amount of money in the end.

Nov 1, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #8,475 of 9,040
in my case IE800 with dynamic linear phase transducer(edited hehe) it's hard to control so Amp help damping and controlling better also I think amp unit has better grounded output than AK380 on its own. And I believe copper cage helps prevent signals fields.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back