Astell&Kern AK380
Oct 12, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #8,431 of 9,040
I wouldn't say that the AK70 lags at all, I have no problem with it. It just seems like the AK300 is less responsive. It's not a deal breaker, but it's noticeable to me. I was a little curious if all the other specs on the AK380 was the same as the AK300 (asides from the DAC) such as the CPU.

And it's reassuring to hear it wasn't just me having trouble with the metal touch button.
It's interesting that you've noticed this lag - I would assume all AK players, from the 100 II series and up, are operating lag-free. I've owned an AK120 II in the past, and the UI was as smooth as butter. I'd assume the AK300, a newer model, would fare similarly well.

In any case, I'm glad to see that AK have abandoned the metal sensor on their newer players (SP1000, KANN).

Oct 14, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #8,432 of 9,040
the application Groovers+ indicates there's an update but every time i try to update it fails, anyone else experiencing this?

Oct 14, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #8,433 of 9,040
I've been really enjoying my AK380 so far and have found it to be an upgrade on my previous Sony WM1A in many ways though slightly weaker in others.

Just two further questions please anyone's able to lend their assistance,
1. Has anyone successfully used one of the new 400GB Micro SD cards in an AK380 yet?
2. Does the official A&K AK380 AMP provide much in the way of sonic benefit to IEM users?

Thanks guys.

Oct 15, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #8,435 of 9,040
Thanks rumina.

Oct 21, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #8,438 of 9,040
It charges but it just doesn't reach 100%? How far do you get? Are you using the original AK microUSB cable?
I have had my AK380 for about 18 months now and it fails to charge...I am not sure if it is a battery problem or a usb connectivity issue. When I connect the cable there is some play in the connection. I am based in the UK and would like to send it for a service, can anyone recommend a UK dealership that offers AK repair services?

Oct 21, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #8,439 of 9,040
I have had my AK380 for about 18 months now and it fails to charge...I am not sure if it is a battery problem or a usb connectivity issue. When I connect the cable there is some play in the connection. I am based in the UK and would like to send it for a service, can anyone recommend a UK dealership that offers AK repair services?

If you still have your warranty reach out to Astell&Kern and they’ll recommend a company you can send it to but you may have to send it to them directly.

Oct 21, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #8,442 of 9,040
Unfortunately it is out of warranty....

Still reach out to them, you’d be surprised what they may do for you though I hear service is a little slower than what you may be accustom to. Could be a flaw with the unit.

Oct 22, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #8,443 of 9,040
I2. Does the official A&K AK380 AMP provide much in the way of sonic benefit to IEM users?

Thanks guys.
For the price, I wasn't very impressed with the AK380 amp. It didn't significantly alter the sound, but provided some much needed power to an otherwise (relatively) weak headphone output. I've tried many other portable amplifiers that provided the same amount of power, if not greater, but also added a host of sonic benefits. Some of the amps that I have tried with the AK380 are - ALO Audio's Continental Dual Mono, Rx Mk3-B+, Rx (IEM), The National; Vorzuge's VorzAMP pure II+; FiiO's E12; iFi Audio's iDSD Black Label. All of these amps added a little something else to the AK380's already superb sound. My favorite amp is the Rx Mk3-B+, and I keep them semi-permanently bonded to an AK380 via 3M's Dual Lock tapes. This amp enhances the staging capabilities, whilst adding a sweet-tinged fullness to the overall tonality. Fun is definitely a word I'd use to describe the combo. :)

Oct 22, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #8,444 of 9,040
For the price, I wasn't very impressed with the AK380 amp. It didn't significantly alter the sound, but provided some much needed power to an otherwise (relatively) weak headphone output. I've tried many other portable amplifiers that provided the same amount of power, if not greater, but also added a host of sonic benefits. Some of the amps that I have tried with the AK380 are - ALO Audio's Continental Dual Mono, Rx Mk3-B+, Rx (IEM), The National; Vorzuge's VorzAMP pure II+; FiiO's E12; iFi Audio's iDSD Black Label. All of these amps added a little something else to the AK380's already superb sound. My favorite amp is the Rx Mk3-B+, and I keep them semi-permanently bonded to an AK380 via 3M's Dual Lock tapes. This amp enhances the staging capabilities, whilst adding a sweet-tinged fullness to the overall tonality. Fun is definitely a word I'd use to describe the combo. :)

Totally agree... the only thing it did for me was pump out more power, no sonic difference at all so I returned it. I have the copper unit and boy oh boy is it heavy with the amp attached, it’s already a tank on its own.

Oct 22, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #8,445 of 9,040
Totally agree... the only thing it did for me was pump out more power, no sonic difference at all so I returned it. I have the copper unit and boy oh boy is it heavy with the amp attached, it’s already a tank on its own.
On the contrary that's exactly the reason why I'm keeping the AK380 amp despite the increase in bulk in size!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back