Astell&Kern AK380
Oct 22, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #8,446 of 9,040
On the contrary that's exactly the reason why I'm keeping the AK380 amp despite the increase in bulk in size!

The power is a good reason to keep it if thats all someone wants, especially for hard to push headphones. I’m using 64 Audio U18 Tzar, Ultimate Ears UE 18+ Pro and Shure SE846 which doesn’t need more power. I use my desktop rig for my larger headphones, I can’t see me traveling around with 8k worth of gear.

Oct 22, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #8,447 of 9,040
The power is a good reason to keep it if thats all someone wants, especially for hard to push headphones. I’m using 64 Audio U18 Tzar, Ultimate Ears UE 18+ Pro and Shure SE846 which doesn’t need more power. I use my desktop rig for my larger headphones, I can’t see me traveling around with 8k worth of gear.
I personally think that the benefit on IEMs is present too, slightly warmer sound, better depth and definition. More obvious so when running balanced. But of course whether that improvement is worth the extra money and bulkiness is entirely up to personal choice

Oct 22, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #8,448 of 9,040
I personally think that the benefit on IEMs is present too, slightly warmer sound, better depth and definition. More obvious so when running balanced. But of course whether that improvement is worth the extra money and bulkiness is entirely up to personal choice

Agreed, one can easily get lost seeking to eek out just a tad bit more but it’ll come at a cost. This hobby isn’t cheap by a long shot and the law of diminishing returns becomes apparent.

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #8,449 of 9,040
For the price, I wasn't very impressed with the AK380 amp. It didn't significantly alter the sound, but provided some much needed power to an otherwise (relatively) weak headphone output. I've tried many other portable amplifiers that provided the same amount of power, if not greater, but also added a host of sonic benefits. Some of the amps that I have tried with the AK380 are - ALO Audio's Continental Dual Mono, Rx Mk3-B+, Rx (IEM), The National; Vorzuge's VorzAMP pure II+; FiiO's E12; iFi Audio's iDSD Black Label. All of these amps added a little something else to the AK380's already superb sound. My favorite amp is the Rx Mk3-B+, and I keep them semi-permanently bonded to an AK380 via 3M's Dual Lock tapes. This amp enhances the staging capabilities, whilst adding a sweet-tinged fullness to the overall tonality. Fun is definitely a word I'd use to describe the combo. :)
Thanks for your impressions Malevolent.

Oct 23, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #8,450 of 9,040
Just got my hands on the AK380. It's something else. It sounds unbelievable with Westone ES60 with just SE. Not sure balanced out will be much better. How natural and punchy everything sounds is otherworldly. Previous best DAP was Plenue 1. The AK380 -> ES60 sounds clearly better than my Utopia driving with Centrance M8. I have a Hugo coming tomorrow, so this assessment may change. It's nicely to finally hear the portable end game.

Oct 24, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #8,451 of 9,040
Totally agree... the only thing it did for me was pump out more power, no sonic difference at all so I returned it. I have the copper unit and boy oh boy is it heavy with the amp attached, it’s already a tank on its own.
The copper stack provides owners with a free arm workout, though. :joy:

But yeah, for the cost, I was expecting a little more from the amp. It isn't bad per se, it's just not very versatile.

On the contrary that's exactly the reason why I'm keeping the AK380 amp despite the increase in bulk in size!
You mean, you like the extra weight? Or the extra power? If it's the latter you're craving, you could always try another amp, and see if it's a better fit for your tastes.

But then again, if you love what you hear, who am I to suggest otherwise? I'm glad that you've found your ideal portable stack. :)

Oct 26, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #8,452 of 9,040
Hello guys,May I join this thread? I haven't been back to head fi for long time since I have to travel so much. Most of my gears sat at home all head gears sold HD800 T1 Phillip Minutes head Amp only NAD headphone which I just got as a gift. Also home audio gears which packed inside the boxes some are on the shelf but unplugged. Most of my travelings are for work so I just have AirPods and iPhone for it's convenience since my last iem was shure 535 but sold. It's just recently I managed to unpacked things as moved to a new house. Got new pair of LS50 wireless connected with Sonore Microrendu and stream via internet use mac mini as a server, audioquest diamond ethernet between the two of kef and audioquest diamond usb from mr to ls50w. The sound is amazing but compare to my old set Vienna Acoustic grand mozart(modified mundorf gold), First Watts cloned amp parallel mono(modified caps mundorf), DAC lindemann(modified caps, caps output mundorf gold,linear power supply and transformer pre-amp minute this set sound better than ls50w set.

So get back to audio heaven again makes me tempt to find a portable gear. I'm now in Japan and was back again for sometime to follow you guys. I then went electronic shop and bought and DP-X1a+Sony wf1000x so thats I wish It would be greater than my iphone+airpod and yeah it is. I was like mmm just fine with this gears they were very very good actually but there was something wrong. I mean nothing wrong with dp-x1a and a sony wireless but something wrong with me. They could not satisfy my need. It's like listen to home budget hi-end gears at home. Then I came to head fi more and more and read through all comments and so on. Then I decided to upgrade. I then went to earphone shop in Osaka and tried SP1000, Sony Wm1z and AK380cu+Amp cu with several in ear monitor earphones (for ease of travel). I have been tried for several days and spent two or maybe three hours each try. Finally I got IE800 back to my hotel. It was very difficult to decide between IE800, Xelento, and SE846 but based on my liking which most of musics I listen to are jazz ,live, electronic, acoustic etc complicated instruments... all three are what I look for but the most airy and given the widest image of sound stage is IE800 and I think produce the most sweet sound too as it fit my ear canal with no problem somehow the other two can do some a bit better but based on my preference ie800 was what I chose at the end. I tried with all three dap and it was very difficult to choose one.

SP1000 sound really nice btw all three SP1000, WM1Z and AK380cu+Ampcu produce sound like hi-end home audio with IE800. the most expensive is SP1000 and actually I like WM1Z the most because I think it produces sound like analog and warm sound which suit to the music genres I like. But I use tidal a lot so no choice for sony then at the end I chose AK380cu+Ampcu because it's a lot cheaper than sp1000. But as I said If Sony has tidal I would just pick sony immediately as the cheapest among for it's value and quality it's like first choice so ak380 cu combo sound is between wm1z and sp1000 only downside of AK380cu+amp cu is the heavy of the two together in one combo plus heavy leather case. The sound all three for me is on par. I like tad warm lush and mid sound like life of ak380 combo but SP1000 is a little better on treble details punch speed. . I paid around 2,700 usd for AK380cu+amp cu, ie800, dignis case(this one is new but half of original price) all used but mint condition boxes and everything included one month warranty from the shop. The SP1000 mint second hand alone is around 3,000 usd n this shop.

This dap+amp is amazing and with ie800 now I can travel and can enjoy hi quality music everywhere like when I was at home. Nice to meet head fiers again.

IMG_9134.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 4:07 AM Post #8,453 of 9,040
FE04C50E-36B4-4745-8FDE-9FD979ED63BC.jpeg My curiosity last audition I thought ak380cu+amp cu sound is between sp1000ss and WM1Z not too bright not too warm good focus big sound stage good instrumentals separation , so today I went to try sp1000cu. I tried with campfire Vega and Xeleton still like ie800 the most based on my taste. I said I would pick WM1Z with no hesitation based on sound alone. I have changed my mind I would pick sp1000cu with no doubt. I am new again to this head gears what I can explain is WM1Z is like you are listening to the music in a the room that shut all lights down dark warm very analog. sp1000cu is like listening to music with all lights shut except one dim light in front of you. I like ak380cu combo as well so the different doesn’t help me change my mind only if its the same price haha. I think the big screen the fast CPU easy of use ui this would be consider better than AK380 cu combo I own. Sound I think it’s just different tune and just a tad bit better in all aspects except sound stage which I like very much of ak380cu combo so I stick with al380 cu combo.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 5:34 AM Post #8,454 of 9,040
Apologies if this has been discussed - I haven't had time to read all the threads etc - but can someone tell me whether the SP1000 uses a different USB charger / connector to the AK380?

Not thinking of getting the SP1000 anytime soon - just wondering, if I ever decide to get one, whether it is compatible with the AK380 CD Ripper.

Oct 27, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #8,455 of 9,040
Apologies if this has been discussed - I haven't had time to read all the threads etc - but can someone tell me whether the SP1000 uses a different USB charger / connector to the AK380?

Not thinking of getting the SP1000 anytime soon - just wondering, if I ever decide to get one, whether it is compatible with the AK380 CD Ripper.
SP1000 use usb c Ak380 use micro usb

Oct 27, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #8,456 of 9,040

Ak380 has a micro-USB port. SP1000 has a USB-C port. 1st gen and 2nd gen AK CD-Rippers are compatible with all AK Wi-Fi enabled players. If you have a 1st gen AK CD-Ripper, you can use it with the SP1000 with a micro-USB to USB-C cable.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Oct 28, 2017 at 5:16 AM Post #8,457 of 9,040
My curiosity last audition I thought ak380cu+amp cu sound is between sp1000ss and WM1Z not too bright not too warm good focus big sound stage good instrumentals separation , so today I went to try sp1000cu. I tried with campfire Vega and Xeleton still like ie800 the most based on my taste. I said I would pick WM1Z with no hesitation based on sound alone. I have changed my mind I would pick sp1000cu with no doubt. I am new again to this head gears what I can explain is WM1Z is like you are listening to the music in a the room that shut all lights down dark warm very analog. sp1000cu is like listening to music with all lights shut except one dim light in front of you. I like ak380cu combo as well so the different doesn’t help me change my mind only if its the same price haha. I think the big screen the fast CPU easy of use ui this would be consider better than AK380 cu combo I own. Sound I think it’s just different tune and just a tad bit better in all aspects except sound stage which I like very much of ak380cu combo so I stick with al380 cu combo.
Well, I'm glad that you have settled with a choice, and a mighty fine choice, indeed. :)

I very much prefer the sound of the regular AK380 over the Cu variant, though. Still, with its attached amp, you're getting an all-in-one TOTL solution.

Oct 28, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #8,458 of 9,040
Well, I'm glad that you have settled with a choice, and a mighty fine choice, indeed. :)

I very much prefer the sound of the regular AK380 over the Cu variant, though. Still, with its attached amp, you're getting an all-in-one TOTL solution.

Yes based on my songs collection I like ak380cu+amp combo. I like the sound of SP1000 very much too but thinking the way I listen to most of my songs would fit AK380cu combo more than sp1000 only if I have much money I would have them all haha. I stick with this boy I guess in long term. Maybe the next upgrade would be ie800s with balance cord.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #8,459 of 9,040
Oh may I ask you guys question guess this question I am quite certain it’s a silly question. My capacitive touch behave erregular sometime works sometime doesn’t work is that normal?

Second question this is serious haha. I am today listening to the songs then take off my earphone then switched low gain to high gain just for curiousness then switched back. So after switched back to Low gain my Ak380cu combo behave like impedance miss matched sound horrible in the ear it’s not like loud but the sound is very bad like sound from iPod nano. Then I turned it off and turned on then it’s back to the smooth sweet detail focus immersive sound Stage like before. Has this ever happen to you guy? Is it because of the hardware or software?

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #8,460 of 9,040
Oh may I ask you guys question guess this question I am quite certain it’s a silly question. My capacitive touch behave erregular sometime works sometime doesn’t work is that normal?

Second question this is serious haha. I am today listening to the songs then take off my earphone then switched low gain to high gain just for curiousness then switched back. So after switched back to Low gain my Ak380cu combo behave like impedance miss matched sound horrible in the ear it’s not like loud but the sound is very bad like sound from iPod nano. Then I turned it off and turned on then it’s back to the smooth sweet detail focus immersive sound Stage like before. Has this ever happen to you guy? Is it because of the hardware or software?

Using IE800? The player will not drive the IE800 well without amplification. I won't bother using the low gain on the AK amp. The output is even lower than the standalone AK380.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back