Astell&Kern AK380
Jan 26, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #7,711 of 9,041
What I hope for ak480
Desktop class chips.
A physical preamp module build in.
512GB internal memory, will be cool if it is SSD.
OLED display.
Better SD card support (512GB maybe?)
USB C support?(for faster data transfer).
Silver as body material.
Quarter inch port on the ak480 amp
XLR port on the AK480 amp.
Wireless charging?
I wonder if ak480 meets all this specs, how much will it cost.

Jan 26, 2017 at 7:06 AM Post #7,712 of 9,041
What I hope for ak480
Desktop class chips.
A physical preamp module build in.
512GB internal memory, will be cool if it is SSD.
OLED display.
Better SD card support (512GB maybe?)
USB C support?(for faster data transfer).
Silver as body material.
Quarter inch port on the ak480 amp
XLR port on the AK480 amp.
Wireless charging?
I wonder if ak480 meets all this specs, how much will it cost.

+1 to all except... Silver body. Let's not provide a reason to A&K to increase even further their price.   SS or duralium will be OK

And as @bflat suggested, it would be a great if they also made a new amp with 6111 tubes like the ALO CDM  
biggrin.gif

And... I will not care if it is much bigger than the AK380.  A&K could innovate by creating a new market: "the transportable DAPs" (instead of "portable"). Something A5 size like a fat pocket book, with a big 8" OLED screen and 1Tb will be great".  

I can carry a pocket book with my on the beach or around, why not a DAPs ? It do NOT has to fit inside my pocket !

Jan 26, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #7,713 of 9,041
+1 to all except... Silver body. Let's not provide a reason to A&K to increase even further their price.   SS or duralium will be OK

And as @bflat
 suggested, it would be a great if they also made a new amp with 6111 tubes like the ALO CDM  :D  

And... I will not care if it is much bigger than the AK380.  A&K could innovate by creating a new market: "the transportable DAPs" (instead of "portable"). Something A5 size like a fat pocket book, with a big 8" OLED screen and 1Tb will be great".  

I can carry a pocket book with my on the beach or around, why not a DAPs ? It do NOT has to fit inside my pocket !

My suggestion will make the model bigger but probably not that big.
I don't know if the size you mentioned will be good though. That will make the device really bulk.
But I am most concerned of the pricing.
If ak480 has that kind of specs, it will probably be 6000+ including the amp. The amp alone could easily double the price of the current one.

Jan 26, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #7,714 of 9,041
...That will make the device really bulk.

Well.... "bulk " for a portable device, and...small for an all in one " transportable " system

FYI here is the Panasonic ruggerized 7" tablet... This could be the right size for a new type of "Transportable" DAP ? 

Jan 26, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #7,715 of 9,041
I want that the AK480 could make me the breakfast ...if is not asking to much....i think that SQ wise....one is warm other is more cold sounding ,one more detailed other less detailed but more natural more organic...is a question of taste at this price tags....

Jan 26, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #7,716 of 9,041
  New AK380 black + amp owner here. Sorry for the noob question (I haven't explored balanced before), but can I get an adaptor to convert my SE 3.5mm trs cables to the 2.5mm blanaced for the AK? I have had a look online and from what I can tell it only seems to be balanced to SE available. But I am out of my depth here thoough. thanks.

I would not recommend an adapter.  every time you make a connection you weaken the signal and cause a potential point of failure.  I went to https://www.moon-audio.com.  You can order replacement cables for your headphones.  this may be a route.

Oh and AK's like thin cables.  they also like short cables so if you can live with a 5ft your better off.  

Jan 26, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #7,717 of 9,041
AK 480 wish list 

1. if continuing with the external amp approach make it so the connecter for the amp allows you to communicate with the 480 for charging and data transfer.  I hate separating my 380 from the amp just to change the 380 and transfer music. it should be attach and forget. - EDIT I got the amp yesterday and just figured this out.

I am the FNG. ugh

2. more memory. 512 or more
3. USB C.  
4. would be nice to get rid of android file transfer for Mac users.

Jan 26, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #7,718 of 9,041
AK480's new form factor with 8" OLED touch screen... 
wink.gif

1 Tb SSD, Desktop class chips, XLR & 1/4" headphone out, XLR & RCA line out, MQA hardware decoding, TIDAL, Roon server...

Jan 26, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #7,720 of 9,041
Jan 26, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #7,723 of 9,041
My suggestion will make the model bigger but probably not that big.
I don't know if the size you mentioned will be good though. That will make the device really bulk.
But I am most concerned of the pricing.
If ak480 has that kind of specs, it will probably be 6000+ including the amp. The amp alone could easily double the price of the current one.

Between using the AK240 and the AK380, I've come to appreciate the latter's larger screen size. It does make for a more enjoyable user experience. I wouldn't mind a slightly larger screen size on the new flagship; something in the region of 5" would be great.

I think that I've become far too accustomed to devices with larger screens, like the myriad tablets and smartphones on the market these days. Reverting to a device with a smaller screen does feel a little awkward at times.

Jan 26, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #7,724 of 9,041
How about AK make the AK4xx just a Player/DAC (no headphone amp, just line out) with the very best digital components with m.2 SSD support and make the overall design a little thinner. Then offer a line of new amp modules ranging from basic all the way up to tube amps. Also add in a desktop amp module as well. Heck why not a bespoke amp service where you get the select the components and chassis.

I realize this sounds like Fiio X7, but this is a very different market that AK sells into.

Jan 26, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #7,725 of 9,041
  How about AK make the AK4xx just a Player/DAC (no headphone amp, just line out) with the very best digital components with m.2 SSD support and make the overall design a little thinner....

Agree, and make it the same footprint than the HUGO2 so that we can stack it on top of the HUGO2. And why not also skipping the DAC: Just Digital Out 
wink.gif

AK4xx player + HUGO2  will make a very powerful and good sounding portable set-up  (and AK4xx + WooAudio WA8  also
biggrin.gif
 )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back