Astell&Kern AK380
Jan 26, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #7,726 of 9,041
Why does AK DAPs say "SD Card Safely Removed" when it's clearly being used? Maybe the it's a typo and should "Remove SD Card Safely"? Keep thinking it's rejecting my SD card every time I see the notification.

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:23 AM Post #7,727 of 9,041
  Why does AK DAPs say "SD Card Safely Removed" when it's clearly being used? Maybe the it's a typo and should "Remove SD Card Safely"? Keep thinking it's rejecting my SD card every time I see the notification.

I know, me too. I always thought it was either because English is perhaps not the manufacturers first language and they had mistaken the context, or that activating that gadget will achieve what the message says. But was never sure.

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #7,728 of 9,041
I know, me too. I always thought it was either because English is perhaps not the manufacturers first language and they had mistaken the context, or that activating that gadget will achieve what the message says. But was never sure.

I think it is a language mistake, and it should say "Remove SD Card safely", which is what would happen if you select that option. I have the same issue with my AK320.

Jan 27, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #7,729 of 9,041
Confused me too, but is just bad English, I think. Is A&K not a US company? I know they're made in Korea.

Maybe they could fix some of the confusing English in a firmware update. 

They could really do with fixing the way the 380 turns off the amp if you leave it for 5mins - total pain putting the phones back on, pressing play and wondering why no sound - then having to turn the amp back on and then having to turn it back up to listening volume again. I know they say it's to protect our hearing but every amp I've ever had remains switched on and set at my chosen volume until I decide to change it - why not this one? I've not damaged my ears in 40yrs of amplification...

Using the CD Ripper now - it's very easy to use with the cradle (only the cradle's plugged in to the power) and auto-ripping's a doddle, although it is much slower than using a pc or laptop cd drive. Just remember to turn the wifi on for Gracenote.

I got my AK Red Wined and it now has deep, powerful, sonorous bass while retaining all its previous magical properties. AK need to take this on board when designing their next flagship. For me, however, the DAP war is over. For the time being..

Jan 27, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #7,730 of 9,041
  Confused me too, but is just bad English, I think. Is A&K not a US company? I know they're made in Korea.

Maybe they could fix some of the confusing English in a firmware update. 

They could really do with fixing the way the 380 turns off the amp if you leave it for 5mins - total pain putting the phones back on, pressing play and wondering why no sound - then having to turn the amp back on and then having to turn it back up to listening volume again. I know they say it's to protect our hearing but every amp I've ever had remains switched on and set at my chosen volume until I decide to change it - why not this one? I've not damaged my ears in 40yrs of amplification...

Using the CD Ripper now - it's very easy to use with the cradle (only the cradle's plugged in to the power) and auto-ripping's a doddle, although it is much slower than using a pc or laptop cd drive. Just remember to turn the wifi on for Gracenote.

I got my AK Red Wined and it now has deep, powerful, sonorous bass while retaining all its previous magical properties. AK need to take this on board when designing their next flagship. For me, however, the DAP war is over. For the time being..

100% Korean company. I am sure if you report the concern to the US support email address they will look to fix it. It's an easy change :)

I am still puzzled by this bass aspect. I run SE846 or oBravo EAMT-1 on the AK380 itself, and LCD-4 on the AK380 amp and I just don't feel any shortage of bass. Particularly for the LCD-4 on the amp I would NOT want anymore bass. It extends low, is textured, and is very present.

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #7,731 of 9,041
The US email support confused me - easily done - thought they were US company but stand corrected!

I was using a Fostex HP-V1 with the HP-P1 before and the bass was just magnificent, so perhaps I was just used to more bass. Perhaps with IEMs that are easier to drive this isn't an issue but my Audezes have a very tight bass response so maybe with full-sized, harder to drive phones a little extra punch is required.

Question - now that I'm using the ripper (sounds a bit dodgy and violent..) I want to delete the music I put on using the Android file transfer app - am I best to use the app and just delete the files or can I quickly delete directly from the player itself?

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #7,732 of 9,041

Got the Dignis case in navy blue. I didn't notice the pics on the Dignis site, but there are some wear marks on the corners. Since both the pics and the case I received have nearly the same wear marks, I suppose this is by design.

I can't see wear marks on mine.  Could you link to the picture where you see this as I must be looking in the wrong place. I posted pictures of mine earlier in the thread. Do you see this on the pics I posted? Maybe I am blind :)

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #7,733 of 9,041
  The US email support confused me - easily done - thought they were US company but stand corrected!

I was using a Fostex HP-V1 with the HP-P1 before and the bass was just magnificent, so perhaps I was just used to more bass. Perhaps with IEMs that are easier to drive this isn't an issue but my Audezes have a very tight bass response so maybe with full-sized, harder to drive phones a little extra punch is required.

Question - now that I'm using the ripper (sounds a bit dodgy and violent..) I want to delete the music I put on using the Android file transfer app - am I best to use the app and just delete the files or can I quickly delete directly from the player itself?

Were you trying to drive Audezes directly on the AK380? I am not surprised by your reaction if so. I think the Red Wine change prevents a voltage drop on bass levels under more challenging loads. if I recall it was the change of some capacitors. I suspect you are right then, that an IEM will not show this issue. As I say, for the LCD-4, with a balanced cable and high gain, the standard unmodified AK380 + amp combination works very well IMHO.

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #7,734 of 9,041
Using the amp too.

I must say that I have never heard better sound than the from the RWAK380+Amp.

Brought tears of joy..

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #7,735 of 9,041
  Using the amp too.

Brought tears of joy..

Good to hear. I switch around at home mainly between LCD-4 and oBravo EAMT-1c IEM depending on my mood. I like to lay on the bed and relax with some music and sometimes I don't want the bulk of the LCD-4 on my head when resting on a pillow.

Jan 27, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #7,736 of 9,041
Worker it out - Android app splits MP4s and FLAC into different files, so easy...

Jan 27, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #7,737 of 9,041

I can't see wear marks on mine.  Could you link to the picture where you see this as I must be looking in the wrong place. I posted pictures of mine earlier in the thread. Do you see this on the pics I posted? Maybe I am blind :)

Here is the stock photo. My case looks very similar. You can see lighter blue on the creases/edges and the lower left corner:

However after handling the case for a week, the marks have darkened so not as noticeable as before.

Jan 27, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #7,738 of 9,041
I found a good carrying case for the AK380 + Amp and it's even has security built in:

Nobody would ever suspect that this case:

Really contains this:

The case is semi-rigid and comes in blue or red on Amazon for about $12.

Jan 27, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #7,740 of 9,041
Using the amp too.

Brought tears of joy..

I couldn't agree more. I got the Utopia's yesterday and the true potential of the RWAk380cu + RWamp really came through. Running them balanced with a DHC 22 all Silver cable. Couldn't ask for more. Totally portable package that takes on a lot of desktop setups.

The RW mod really is at another level when you use something as revealing as the Utopia. Was harder to tell the difference with my Jh16s and Roxannes. Also, with the Utopia's having a sensitivity of 104db, they don't require a ton of power like the LCDs which makes them a perfect match with the AK setup.

The best part of getting the amp modded to is the removal of all the ribbon cables between the player and amp that AK uses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back