Astell&Kern AK380
Jan 27, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #7,741 of 9,040

Using the amp too.

I must say that I have never heard better sound than the from the RWAK380+Amp.

Brought tears of joy..

Did u mod the amp too??
I m considering....

I did, though I did wonder whether it was worth modding both player + amp. Anyway, I did both and couldn't be happier. However, I think Vinnie might have stopped modding AK DAPs now - it's no longer on RW's website. You should maybe email him.

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #7,742 of 9,040

Using the amp too.

I must say that I have never heard better sound than the from the RWAK380+Amp.

Brought tears of joy..

I couldn't agree more. I got the Utopia's yesterday and the true potential of the RWAk380cu + RWamp really came through. Running them balanced with a DHC 22 all Silver cable. Couldn't ask for more. Totally portable package that takes on a lot of desktop setups.

The RW mod really is at another level when you use something as revealing as the Utopia. Was harder to tell the difference with my Jh16s and Roxannes. Also, with the Utopia's having a sensitivity of 104db, they don't require a ton of power like the LCDs which makes them a perfect match with the AK setup.

The best part of getting the amp modded to is the removal of all the ribbon cables between the player and amp that AK uses.

I was ever so slightly disappointed in the standard AK380 sound - it was beautiful but just a bit 'weak', lacking in something. The RW mod fills in the blanks - gives the standard unit a kick up the @rse. 

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #7,743 of 9,040
I couldn't agree more. I got the Utopia's yesterday and the true potential of the RWAk380cu + RWamp really came through. Running them balanced with a DHC 22 all Silver cable. Couldn't ask for more. Totally portable package that takes on a lot of desktop setups.

The RW mod really is at another level when you use something as revealing as the Utopia. Was harder to tell the difference with my Jh16s and Roxannes. Also, with the Utopia's having a sensitivity of 104db, they don't require a ton of power like the LCDs which makes them a perfect match with the AK setup.

The best part of getting the amp modded to is the removal of all the ribbon cables between the player and amp that AK uses.

Would you mind sharing the difference between the stock cable and the silver cable on the 380cu combo? Also what is the volume level that you use for normal listening? Have you tried listening through the 380cu by itself in balance and will it drive the Utopia?

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #7,744 of 9,040
Would you mind sharing the difference between the stock cable and the silver cable on the 380cu combo? Also what is the volume level that you use for normal listening? Have you tried listening through the 380cu by itself in balance and will it drive the Utopia?

Just got them yesterday so haven't had enough time for comparisons. When I do, I'll post my thoughts on the Utopia forum.

I never use any of the stock cables since I go for balanced.

Jan 27, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #7,745 of 9,040
Just an observation - using the amp at low gain and 60-65 volume on mostly 44/16 ALAC tracks gets quite warm. Guessing amp is really good implementation of class A/B and able to operate in A mode for most of the time. Also CU conducts and holds heat really well so may feel warmer than AL.

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #7,746 of 9,040

I did, though I did wonder whether it was worth modding both player + amp. Anyway, I did both and couldn't be happier. However, I think Vinnie might have stopped modding AK DAPs now - it's no longer on RW's website. You should maybe email him.

Does Vinnie change the clocks and op-amps used? His site seems to describe his mods as a improvement of current parts, rather than a full overhaul of it. Half of me is considering the RW mod as it is considerably more affordable, but his changes, to me, seem more superficial than the full out crazy overhaul of the musashi tech mod. If im going to drop anything over a grand on the mods, I dont want to regret not pursuing a more extensive modification at a later date for want of a few bucks.....

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #7,747 of 9,040
  Does Vinnie change the clocks and op-amps used? His site seems to describe his mods as a improvement of current parts, rather than a full overhaul of it. Half of me is considering the RW mod as it is considerably more affordable, but his changes, to me, seem more superficial than the full out crazy overhaul of the musashi tech mod. If im going to drop anything over a grand on the mods, I dont want to regret not pursuing a more extensive modification at a later date for want of a few bucks.....

RWA mods for AK380 are purely on the analog side - power and output stage plus better cabling on the balanced out to AK amp.

Unless you have heard otherwise from him, RWA is no longer offering the mod services as of Jan 2017. I also don't know if Mushashi mod has been offered for AK380. Only one I've heard of is for the AK240 and costs about $1K.

Jan 28, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #7,748 of 9,040

I believe that Vinnie Rossi no longer offers modification services for Astell&Kern players starting from January 2017.

Jan 28, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #7,749 of 9,040
  Just an observation - using the amp at low gain and 60-65 volume on mostly 44/16 ALAC tracks gets quite warm. Guessing amp is really good implementation of class A/B and able to operate in A mode for most of the time. Also CU conducts and holds heat really well so may feel warmer than AL.

When I first got the amp the combination got VERY warm - I'd actually say hot - but now that I've had it a while it barely gets warm. As I expect you know by now, I don't have the copper version.

Jan 28, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #7,750 of 9,040
When I first got the amp the combination got VERY warm - I'd actually say hot - but now that I've had it a while it barely gets warm. As I expect you know by now, I don't have the copper version.
My unit (standard version) runs fairly warm when driving my iem (Noble Katana) in balanced mode, but not so warm when in se mode. This also reflects in the battery life too understandably.

How many of you experience background hiss from the amp though? Mine got quite obvious hiss when music starts playing in balanced mode, but it will be gone once music stops. This is for every single recording in all formats.

Jan 28, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #7,752 of 9,040
[COLOR=111111]I wonder how would sound headphones AKG 3003I with [/COLOR]Astell&Kern AK380?

Think would most probably sound great

Jan 28, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #7,754 of 9,040
I was ever so slightly disappointed in the standard AK380 sound - it was beautiful but just a bit 'weak', lacking in something. The RW mod fills in the blanks - gives the standard unit a kick up the @rse. 

I think I will send my combo to vinnie very soon, u guys reviews r quite tempting haha, but hestitate to wait for chord Hugo 2 and ak480 and my ak380 combo still got 9 months warranty

Jan 28, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #7,755 of 9,040
I think I will send my combo to vinnie very soon, u guys reviews r quite tempting haha, but hestitate to wait for chord Hugo 2 and ak480 and my ak380 combo still got 9 months warranty

As a lot of you have mentioned Vinnie is no longer doing AK Mods unfortunately, I recently reach out to him and he said he no longer has the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back