Astell&Kern AK380
Jan 23, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #7,683 of 9,040
  So anyone pony up the dollars for the SS version?

nope.  I bought the copper - mainly because it looked cool.  If you believe what the AK website says about copper, the copper should be better.  I guess they have to make up for the ugly case that comes with the copper.  

this is my second 380.  the first one I sent back back as I was an early adopter of the 380 and it was not ready for prime time.  they seem to have solved the software issues and it is 10000% more reliable.  

They need to make a black case though although the Burgundy looks kind of bad ass on the copper.   I am babbling - trying to avoid my work computer.

Jan 23, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #7,684 of 9,040
The telos sticker mod, isnt something so exotic that it cant be bought from your regular brick and motar audio shops. My friends, on hearing the results of the mod, went ahead with a group buy for the red sticker through a contact from Taiwan who could give us a bulk purchase price. However, what I wanted was the blue sticker, which the Taiwan contact did not stock, so I had to purchase it locally. Without specifically promoting a single shop since I do think head-fi has some rules against that, I managed to find a shop in Singapore, Adelphi, where all the hi-fi shops in Singapore cluster together in a single building. Not really surprising, considering that this sticker has its origin in the hi-fi realm to begin with. 

The contact enhancer was a litter trickier. The furutech contact enhancer isnt exactly widely available, and what you see on the web tends to be extremely overpriced. What I would recommend, is to buy it in Japan itself. Not only is it significantly cheaper in Japan, if you stack on the tourist rebate the price becomes much more bearable on the wallet.

I'll leave it at this. If anyone has tried any other crazy things on their 380, do share it. 

In the mean time, I'll just patiently wait for my shell cordovan leather case to come in heh. I like my aesopica case, but who can say no to a custom 380CU shell cordovan case  
wink_face.gif
  Can't wait to see this baby come in through the mail......

Jan 23, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #7,687 of 9,040
CU Amp has arrived.

Out of box it is at 50% battery and with no burn in, I notice an immediate improvement for my Laylas. The sound is cleaner - tighter bass, clearer mids, and sharper highs. Not subtle, but very obvious difference. AK380 CU has gone from laid back to dynamic. I would say any other Layla owners must get the amp module for their AK380. Currently using lo gain, no LED.

The amp may not affect all IEMs the same but for Laylas I would be really surprised if other owners say they can't hear any difference. Just perfect since I don't need damn straps and separate charging cables anymore! Well done AK.

Got the Dignis case in navy blue. I didn't notice the pics on the Dignis site, but there are some wear marks on the corners. Since both the pics and the case I received have nearly the same wear marks, I suppose this is by design.

Jan 23, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #7,688 of 9,040
  CU Amp has arrived.

Out of box it is at 50% battery and with no burn in, I notice an immediate improvement for my Laylas. The sound is cleaner - tighter bass, clearer mids, and sharper highs. Not subtle, but very obvious difference. AK380 CU has gone from laid back to dynamic. I would say any other Layla owners must get the amp module for their AK380. Currently using lo gain, no LED.

The amp may not affect all IEMs the same but for Laylas I would be really surprised if other owners say they can't hear any difference. Just perfect since I don't need damn straps and separate charging cables anymore! Well done AK.

Got the Dignis case in navy blue. I didn't notice the pics on the Dignis site, but there are some wear marks on the corners. Since both the pics and the case I received have nearly the same wear marks, I suppose this is by design.

That's what I felt too when I did an AB comparison of my 380 black vs the copper using the Laylas. The sound from the copper player by itself was too warm for my liking. With the added amp the sound from both players sounded very much similar.

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #7,689 of 9,040

That's what I felt too when I did an AB comparison of my 380 black vs the copper using the Laylas. The sound from the copper player by itself was too warm for my liking. With the added amp the sound from both players sounded very much similar.

If the Cu was too warm, then you may wanna try the SS if you get the opportunity.

Jan 24, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #7,691 of 9,040
Burning in, and my colour matching is on point.

Jan 24, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #7,693 of 9,040
Jan 24, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #7,694 of 9,040
AK380 SS with the leather case might just strike the right balance... until AK480 comes out three months later maybe? (AK380 made its debut around 3 months after AK240 SS came out).  But then it won't take long before the almighty AK480 Cu shows up... The best is yet to come, dude. 

Jan 24, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #7,695 of 9,040
  AK380 SS with the leather case might just strike the right balance... until AK480 comes out three months later maybe? (AK380 made its debut around 3 months after AK240 SS came out).  But then it won't take long before the almighty AK480 Cu shows up... The best is yet to come, dude. 

Ain´t tired of chasing the audiophile carrot, yet? What surprise.....
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back