Astell&Kern AK380
Jan 17, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #7,577 of 9,041
So now that I've had a few days with my Copper unit and using them on several cans. I find the PM3 to have the best synergy with regards to my personal full size cans. Mostly because they are so efficient. The HD6xx and the HD800s both sound great but the Dap, I feel doesn't have enough output to make them sound their very best. As far as IEM I feel the Angie II sound excellent as well and are the only IEM I own.

I own the Chord Mojo, question for some of you owners out there, owning a Mojo as I do, do you guys think the AK380 amp is worth purchasing? And to owners of both, does it sound as good as the Dap standalone. I look forward to some of your thoughts.

Jan 17, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #7,579 of 9,041
So now that I've had a few days with my Copper unit and using them on several cans. I find the PM3 to have the best synergy with regards to my personal full size cans. Mostly because they are so efficient. The HD6xx and the HD800s both sound great but the Dap, I feel doesn't have enough output to make them sound their very best. As far as IEM I feel the Angie II sound excellent as well and are the only IEM I own.

I own the Chord Mojo, question for some of you owners out there, owning a Mojo as I do, do you guys think the AK380 amp is worth purchasing? And to owners of both, does it sound as good as the Dap standalone. I look forward to some of your thoughts.

IMO the amp doesn't add as much as you'd expect - some posters on here have expressed a preference for an alternative amp (ALO Continental Dual Mono or Chord Hugo for example). What I would say is, even with the amp attached, the bass lacks impact - see RedWine modifications. I'm sure AK will address this in any 380 replacement.

Jan 17, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #7,580 of 9,041

IMO the amp doesn't add as much as you'd expect - some posters on here have expressed a preference for an alternative amp (ALO Continental Dual Mono or Chord Hugo for example). What I would say is, even with the amp attached, the bass lacks impact - see RedWine modifications. I'm sure AK will address this in any 380 replacement.

The amp seems to have very polarised opinions and I wish I could understand why. I use mine in high gain balanced with an LCD-4, and the bass reaches down extremely low with all the impact my Oppo HA-1 does too. Trying test tracks such as Chesky's rattle test shows there isn't any roll-off. Tracks like Hans Zimmer Batman Returns reaches just as low with the same slam. So I suspect it's an interaction with certain impedance headphones?

Jan 17, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #7,581 of 9,041
Comparing it to my Fostex stack or HiFi M8, despite being a far superior DAP in terms of overall sound quality, the 380 does leave me wanting more bass when listening to 'heavier' tracks. Might not matter with a string quartet or some Miles Davis but crank it up to 11 and you'll know something's missing.

Jan 17, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #7,583 of 9,041
I get plenty of power from the Mojo but it isnt very ergonomic. But if the AK Amp does drive my cans similiarly, then I would buy the amp. Thx for all the replays.

Jan 17, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #7,584 of 9,041
This was almost 2 years ago.

Time now for AK480 ....  
biggrin.gif
   Let's hope for Munich High-End 2017 in May... 
wink.gif

Jan 17, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #7,585 of 9,041
This was almost 2 years ago.

Time now for AK480 ....  :D    Let's hope for Munich High-End 2017 in May... :wink:  

So will the price 2 times more than a AK380?!

Jan 17, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #7,586 of 9,041
So will the price 2 times more than a AK380?!

no, it is very easy with Astell & Kern :  

AK240 = 2400 €
AK380 = 3800 €
AK480 = ......        guess :wink:

Jan 17, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #7,587 of 9,041
Quote:

Quote:

Dionysus, I would buy the Copper amp in your case. The PM-3 sounds well with the AK380CU alone, but it is better with the AK380 amp (tighter bass, clearer mids). More difficult to drive cans simply need the additional AK380 amp. Ist balanced output has 4x the power of the AK380. This is simply needed with cans such als HD800(S) or HE-1000. I have compared it intensively with ALO CDM (which I own too by the way) and Chord Hugo. The Hugo has punchier bass, but smaller and less precise soundstaging, less detailed mids and especially highs than AK380Cu+CuAmp. So technically the Astell & Kern flagship is superior to these portable alternatives. If you like tube flavor, you may be more even more happy with ALO CDM, but it is not "better", just different.

Jan 17, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #7,588 of 9,041
Thx u xxx1313 I'm leaning towards selling my Mojo now. For me it doesn't make a lot of sense to own both. I just don't have a local AK reseller in my area.

Jan 17, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #7,589 of 9,041
Dionysus, I would buy the Copper amp in your case. The PM-3 sounds well with the AK380CU alone, but it is better with the AK380 amp (tighter bass, clearer mids). More difficult to drive cans simply need the additional AK380 amp. Ist balanced output has 4x the power of the AK380. This is simply needed with cans such als HD800(S) or HE-1000. I have compared it intensively with ALO CDM (which I own too by the way) and Chord Hugo. The Hugo has punchier bass, but smaller and less precise soundstaging, less detailed mids and especially highs than AK380Cu+CuAmp. So technically the Astell & Kern flagship is superior to these portable alternatives. If you like tube flavor, you may be more even more happy with ALO CDM, but it is not "better", just different.

Ak380 copper amp can power HD800s?
Didn't know the amp can be used to work with 300 ohm headphones.
Good to know.
But personally would hope for an attachment for XLR connector support dock for these headphones.

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #7,590 of 9,041
Ak380 copper amp can power HD800s?
Didn't know the amp can be used to work with 300 ohm headphones.
Good to know.
But personally would hope for an attachment for XLR connector support dock for these headphones.

Yes. Didn't have any problems driving my former HD800s.I bought/snipped a HD800s cable to balanced 2.5mm TRRS too.

So far the earphone where I found the AK380Cu+amp was limiting was the new/prototype(??) UM ME.1 planars earphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back