Astell&Kern AK380
Jan 15, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #7,562 of 9,041
After extended listening with Pro EQ, this sounds better to me. As mentioned previously, bass is a little tighter, less liquid. The highs seem a little more forward. This doesn't sound like an EQ change to me but rather a different digital filter. Pure speculation on my part. It reminds me more of what I hear when changing filters on my Teac DAC which has user selectable filters.

Jan 15, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #7,563 of 9,041
ProEQ seems to accentuate the presence range and makes it sound slightly more direct, less laid-back. The differences are rather small imho, especially those in the bass area. I personally prefer the sound without ProEQ.

Jan 15, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #7,564 of 9,041
ME too.
I don't know why black version is more expensive here.

Moon Audio still has the black AK380 + black amp for $3499. Basically the amp is free. Just look for the AK380 Black listing by itself and you will see the free amp as an option.

Jan 15, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #7,565 of 9,041
Moon Audio still has the black AK380 + black amp for $3499. Basically the amp is free. Just look for the AK380 Black listing by itself and you will see the free amp as an option.

I don't know if I want to buy online though.
But if I do, I think I will go for Copper version because it looks better.
I will try different high end DAPs when I have free time. And see if this will be my final decision, I don't want to regret the decision at all considering it is not a cheap purchase.
I know why there is a price difference now. It was a discount on the standard version so it is cheaper.

Jan 16, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #7,566 of 9,041
I don't know if I want to buy online though.
But if I do, I think I will go for Copper version because it looks better.
I will try different high end DAPs when I have free time. And see if this will be my final decision, I don't want to regret the decision at all considering it is not a cheap purchase.
I know why there is a price difference now. It was a discount on the standard version so it is cheaper.

Depends on what you mean by better...if you mean the polished shiny look, the Copper will look better for about a week then it starts to wear out it's looks (I'm not going to go anywhere near any analogies that'll get me into trouble :wink:).

OTOH, if you like the patina look, well at the start it'll look terrible but its beauty increases as it ages.

Jan 16, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #7,567 of 9,041

Cleaning the Copper version is no real problem. Cleaning it once a month is enough to keep it shiny, if you use some good polish. If you use your AK380Cu at home, buy the remote, so you do not have to touch the AK380Cu too often. With one of the next firmware updates it will even be possible to start the DAP with pressing a button on the remote control. Very nice feature! :)

Jan 16, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #7,569 of 9,041
  So the authorized AK dealer in Thailand claims that AK has stopped the production of AK380Cu.

Seems plausible. iRiver online store is sold out and can't imagine they are still making these and the new SS version at the same time. However, I wouldn't panic if you have been waiting to buy one since resellers still have stock and at worst case, just get the SS for the same price.

Jan 16, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #7,570 of 9,041
Cleaning the Copper version is no real problem. Cleaning it once a month is enough to keep it shiny, if you use some good polish. If you use your AK380Cu at home, buy the remote, so you do not have to touch the AK380Cu too often. With one of the next firmware updates it will even be possible to start the DAP with pressing a button on the remote control. Very nice feature! :)

Cleaning the DAP will not be too hard I assume. But that back is just a fingerprint magnet.

Jan 16, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #7,571 of 9,041
Seems plausible. iRiver online store is sold out and can't imagine they are still making these and the new SS version at the same time. However, I wouldn't panic if you have been waiting to buy one since resellers still have stock and at worst case, just get the SS for the same price.

After AK380SS, Astell & Kern might already started to manufacture new flagship AK400 series dap already.

Jan 16, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #7,572 of 9,041
Two weeks ago at CES in Vegas, I talked to the AK rep and was told that there are only a few CU left.  I believe once the inventory is gone from local dealers, it will be gone.

Jan 17, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #7,575 of 9,041
After AK380SS, Astell & Kern might already started to manufacture new flagship AK400 series dap already.

I hope... 
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back